Self Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
RunningTide
Vessel Make
37 Louisiane catamaran
Wasn't there a posting on this forum only recently where a potential buyer went to visit a vessel he was interested in, and performed a very through 'initial analysis' of the that vessel?? And I believe he recorded that that 'self survey' on one of the subject threads here? ...I can't recall its location..

Last edited:
Wasn't there a posting on this forum only recently where a potential buyer went to visit a vessel he was interested in, and performed a very through 'initial analysis' of the that vessel?? And I believe he recorded that that 'self survey' on one of the subject threads here? ...I can't recall its location..

I always perform my own surveys on craft that interest me; at very least I do a in-depth multi-hour preliminary survey. If I then get really interested - to point of actual purchase - I will likely hire professional surveyor; depending on complexity of the boat and especially if there are items I cannot conclusive answer for myself. As well, for price negotiations with boat owner it is good to have a licensed surveyor's document detailing points for which I believe the sale price should be reduced. If I'm going to purchase a boat I always hire a real good marine engine mechanic to fully review drive-train under all conditions it may experience... while I'm onsite. One way or the other - in anything I purchase; i.e. boat, house, property, car, truck or otherwise... From onset of the deal I remain very intent to learn the item's physical condition and I stay in close discussion (usually onsite) with persons during all surveys performed.

What are you seeking by starting this thread?

I self-survey as well, in order to eliminate boats that are too far gone and to find the "surprises" before I spend any money on her, but the insurance companies will want a survey anyway so you will have to pay someone so find the best; surveyors are exactly like brokers - some can't find their own ass with both hands and some add immeasurably to the buying experience such that you will be pleased and eager to part with all those boat dollars, now and in the future.

Last edited:
I didn't self-survey on mine (boat was in California). There were a few items that my marine surveyor and numerous photos didn't catch but I would have (e.g., potentially fire causing electrical issue, hole in the oil pan, "funky" wiring, etc.). All cleaned up now!

I still would have bought the boat though!

I'm almost certain that the 'posting' I'm looking for was made on this forum. I thought I had made a bookmark of it as it was a good checklist that the gentleman had gone thru on his own.

I wanted to make a copy of that list to take with me when I go look at a wooden motorsailer I'm considering. My surveyor friend is out of the country at this time, and I don't consider myself that competent. Besides I'm at the 'initial inspection' stage at this time.

I made this posting hoping that the gentleman would show up and lead me to his 'survey' posting?

Back
Top Bottom