Tidahapah Refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK back again and will load some photos.
The trip in all was 610 nautical miles and we took 11 days ,with the reef one only travels with good daylight so between 0800 hrs and one wants to be anchored (safely ) by 1600 hrs. earlier if you don't know the reef section.
I have been in and out of the GBR a hell of a lot over the past 18 years but probably know about 1% of what is required to be super confident. Good plotter and redundancy are just about a prerequisite these days.
I have a path on Google Earth how do you post it here.

Can't wait to get back to boat (but it is going to be a while) other holidays and medical issues have to be taken care of, Oh and I have to go back to work.
Paravane selection and one man retrieval system has to be fine tuned, also my tender up and down system has to be refined and it may require a new lighter tender as using the boom is not as easy as the old electric crane. Any how we will see what transpires.

Attachments

• 1 Anchored at Rooneys.jpg
    1 Anchored at Rooneys.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 2 Flathead on fly at Rooneys.jpg
    2 Flathead on fly at Rooneys.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 3 Paravanes first deplpyment.jpg
    3 Paravanes first deplpyment.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 148
  • 4 Towing tender inside Fraser.jpg
    4 Towing tender inside Fraser.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 5 Wahoo 1370 mm.jpg
    5 Wahoo 1370 mm.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 136
  • 6 first of the Red Fish.jpg
    6 first of the Red Fish.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 7 back to the old spots.jpg
    7 back to the old spots.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 8 Reds at 12 kg.jpg
    8 Reds at 12 kg.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 144
  • 9 Red and Trout double.jpg
    9 Red and Trout double.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 10 Under sail light breeze.jpg
    10 Under sail light breeze.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 139
More photos and it looks like I have added my Google Earth track.

Attachments

• 11 Coral Cay Twins North.jpg
    11 Coral Cay Twins North.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 12 Twins North crystal clear.jpg
    12 Twins North crystal clear.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 13 Try the fly for little.jpg
    13 Try the fly for little.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 14 lookin good.jpg
    14 lookin good.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 15 Towing the tender between reefs.jpg
    15 Towing the tender between reefs.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 138
  • 16 Afternoon tea.jpg
    16 Afternoon tea.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Mooloolaba to Mackay 2013 via Swains.kmz
    2.1 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
You guys are truly blessed to be near such a beautiful, bountiful place. More pictures please. Nice Wahoo! I have some in the freezer.

A few photos and vid of the Excel doing it's thing

Attachments

• GOPR2106.jpg
    GOPR2106.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 157
  • GOPR2107.jpg
    GOPR2107.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 152
Doesn't look like the Google Earth track link works. Does anyone know how to do that?
Cheers
Benn

Link worked for me, using IPad.
(Ipad, and all the recent updates have me at the brink of sawing it in half and mailing it to Apple)

OK back again and will load some photos. The trip in all was 610 nautical miles and we took 11 days ,with the reef one only travels with good daylight so between 0800 hrs and one wants to be anchored (safely ) by 1600 hrs. earlier if you don't know the reef section. I have been in and out of the GBR a hell of a lot over the past 18 years but probably know about 1% of what is required to be super confident. Good plotter and redundancy are just about a prerequisite these days. I have a path on Google Earth how do you post it here. Can't wait to get back to boat (but it is going to be a while) other holidays and medical issues have to be taken care of, Oh and I have to go back to work. Paravane selection and one man retrieval system has to be fine tuned, also my tender up and down system has to be refined and it may require a new lighter tender as using the boom is not as easy as the old electric crane. Any how we will see what transpires.
Beautiful pics! A little off topic, but I noticed a Shimano tyrnos, do you like it? I just got 2 of the 30's.

Fishing is never off topic for me.
I have 3 Tyrnos reels, a 30 2 speed and 2 x 20 2 speeds. I love them.
Use them for bottom bouncing and as trolling reels. They are loaded with 65 lb Tuff line braid and cope with some pretty heavy work.
Used to be a TLD and International fan but these really fill the bill.
Still have an Inter 30 that I bought in the US back in 74 and it is still going strong after only one rebuild.
Cheers
Benn

Good-oh, Benn…I see the thumbnails idea worked for you, and allowed uploading of more pics. Great shots, and those fish….Makes me really envious.

Fishing is never off topic for me. I have 3 Tyrnos reels, a 30 2 speed and 2 x 20 2 speeds. I love them. Use them for bottom bouncing and as trolling reels. They are loaded with 65 lb Tuff line braid and cope with some pretty heavy work. Used to be a TLD and International fan but these really fill the bill. Still have an Inter 30 that I bought in the US back in 74 and it is still going strong after only one rebuild. Cheers Benn
Ok good to hear I can't wait to put mine in use this summer. The 2 speed is nice when you have a big one on, throw into low gear and winch'em in. :)

I have really enjoyed reading your endeavours, great photos of your trip. If your boat had feelings, I know it would think that it has landed in a marina in heaven based on how and what you have done with her.

Keep up the good postings and makes me want to head further south.....

Why add sails

G'day Benn and mates,

It's been awhile since I've dropped in. As you know Benn, I have been dead-set on finding the right-for-me retired fishing boat but after reading your post Benn, I'm now wondering if a 40' motor-sailor would not be a better choice. A motor-sailor already has the mast and sails erected. Anyway, I'm now wondering why you built a powerboat (a fishing sharpie) then decide you need masts and sails on it. Would you not have been better-of buying or building a motor-sailor in the first place :confused: I'm curious.

Bill
Australia

Bill,
A lot of these boats were built over the years as motor sailors.
When I built Tidahapah in 1994 I actually installed the chain plates and compression post for the fwd mast but costs never let me get around to it.
Now that I had some more cash and my cruising horizons should expand then it was a natural progression.
You will find numerous motor sailors of this ilk available in Queensland and most will be in excellent condition.
Cheers
Benn

Sails On A Cruiser

Bill,
A lot of these boats were built over the years as motor sailors.
When I built Tidahapah in 1994 I actually installed the chain plates and compression post for the fwd mast but costs never let me get around to it.
Now that I had some more cash and my cruising horizons should expand then it was a natural progression.
You will find numerous motor sailors of this ilk available in Queensland and most will be in excellent condition.
Cheers
Benn
G'day Benn,

I hear you loud and clear mate...Money's always tight when we need it most. I bet, all-up, adding the masts, rigging and sails was not cheep. Being an aged pensioner (71 now) spare cash is hard to come by these days :( that's why I'm now thinking something like this local steel Ketch would be a good buy for me. Unfortunately the builder passed over before he got to finish and sail his dream. She's been laying on a mooring since 10/11/2009. His widow now wants to sell the Ketch and this steel Ketch, along with three or four other sailboats/motor-sailors appeal to me, motor-sailors like this 40' steel Roberts, or one of a few well built FC boats. As I know nothing about welding or working with steel, I would prefer a timber boat, epoxy on Ply boat or a well built Ferro-Cement boat but we'll see how things turn-out.

BTW...Tidahapah looks great with the Ketch rig Benn :thumb:

Cheers Benn,

Bill
Australia

Back
Top Bottom