New to Trawlers - Just Retired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big thanks to the "Baker" team! My diesel engine search was steering me towards the Yanmar engines and John and Lois if im correct the Mainship 40 only comes with that set up....................keep us posted.....................Brad & Michelle

I sure like my 34 Mainship trawler (with upper helm)... has 370 Yanmar and factory mid-ship cleats... handy... extra line to forward tide slides... We just returned from a trip (New Smyrna to Deerfield Beach - 420 mi round trip) and it was a breeze. My opinion, be sure you get a boat with an upper helm...total visibility... watched Saturn V rocket launch from Cape Kennedy Monday... good luck... please keep us posted...

Earl,

Have been on only one so far that didn't have the lower helm, owner tried to convince me I would never need a lower station because if the weather was that bad I wouldn't be going out. I said what if im a dumb### and got caught out it would be handy. Thanks for your input, probably going to be making offers soon. Seems like the only complaint is the joinery, appliances and heads are on the cheaper side, not bad but not top of the line. Still looking at the older stuff just in case I find a turnkey trawler at a great price....................Best regards Brad&Michelle

Agree completely Brad... and I've never used my lower helm, but I see lots of trawlers going by here in nasty weather being piloted from inside... no "raincoated" tough guys on the upper helm... agree also, the joinery isn't Trumpy or Hatteras quality, but I can live with what I have in my MS... My appliances, and head are adequate meaning they serve the purpose - middle of the road so to speak... Not to drop anything in the punch bowl, but older boats can be repair and maintenance intensive. Wood takes a lot of care and controls/wiring can also need a lot of attention. Older boats have style that some of the newer ones don't have, and a well maintained one sure gets a lot of attention next to an all fiberglass boat. All of us want to see the pictures starting with the hull at haul out... we can always learn from others as they go through the buying process... also, if you're near Daytona, there's 2 34's here that you could checkout... good luck.. it sounds like you're doing all the right things...

Earl,

Kinda ruled out the 34S for a few reasons, smaller stove and fridge for starters and don't like the galley down. The older trawlers definitely turn the heads, but like you I want plain, simple and practical. Planning on being in Florida middle of Jan, will post pics when it gets serious. And not to offend you if I wasn't living aboard full time the 34 would work nicely:)

Brad & Michelle

Roger Brad... for Vicky and me making short trips (Coastal Fla so far) the smaller stove/ref works for us - augmented by a cooler. We don't plan to live aboard, but a trip to NC and the Small Loop (cross canal to west coast, Key West and back to NSB) would be the extent of our cruising - and so far we've stayed in marinas... the 34 doesn't have an abundance of storage even for 2 people, but the galley down keeps one of us out of the way for a while. I think we all gravitate to what we need, and if we were going to live aboard, I'd want more space. Let me know when you'll be in FLA - NSB is central... glad to show you Gone Coastal...

Congrats on retirement and joining this forum. Lots of good advice here.
The downside to retirement is that you never get a day off.

Tony B

Brad... in case you haven't seen it, there's a new thread started called, "Working on a Pre-purchase Checklist." There may be information of value to you on this thread...

Back
Top Bottom