Best (or favorite) Inflatable PFD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Bess and I want to get inflatable PFD's this year. She tells me Mustang is the best. What do we need to know about them to make a good decision? We will be 99% AICW cruising with MAYBE an offshore trip or two. I am 6.0' 225# and she is 5.0' at barely over 100#.

Advice?

Tom & Bess

We have the Mustangs auto inflators that trigger when they are submerged. They are comfortable and lightweight.

These get my vote.

What model?

Offshore vests have a harness with lifting points built in, coastal are less expensive and don't have the harness. I use coastal Mustang's, the slightly more expensive ones with a five year cartridge life on the hydrostatic inflator. They are the bargain over the two year cartridge models over five years, and since we wear them and avoid actually using them, they will last well beyond 5 years :) Very comfortable, perfect for kayaking, so comfortable people forget to take them off when they get to shore. Fun to point out to them while halfway up the hillside on a hike.

My bad! I have the Offshore model without the harness, just took a look. The West Marine by Mustang. The collar is soft so it doesn't chafe you when you paddle.

I got Mustangs with harness rings last year from Defender.....the rings are really bulky and heavy...my girlfriend hate's 'em but does wear the vest all the time...they were on sale for something like $79 but are the bobbin type.

I think Defender just announced a Christmas sale with some on sale...also check their clearance bin....

Bess and I want to get inflatable PFD's this year. She tells me Mustang is the best. What do we need to know about them to make a good decision? We will be 99% AICW cruising with MAYBE an offshore trip or two. I am 6.0' 225# and she is 5.0' at barely over 100#.

Advice?

Tom & Bess
Yes. Always check with the wife before posting her height and weight on an online forum. Geez would I be in trouble!!!

I will vote for Mustang as well. When only the best will do.You are to important to be cheap.

Yes. Always check with the wife before posting her height and weight on an online forum. Geez would I be in trouble!!!

HA! I DO hate it when he tells people how short I am! :eek: (just kidding!!)

My wife fell in love with a purple one at West Marine last year and wears it all the time. I think I'll buy one this year in a different color. House brand, auto inflation I believe and about $80 IIRC. Cheap insurance.

Mustang here too. I chose the "The award-winning MD3183 Deluxe Inflatable PFD with HIT (Hydrostatic Inflator Technology) is Mustang Survival's top-of-the-line inflatable PFD."

Very comfortable to wear and 5-year warranty/maintenance cycle. MD3183 w/o harness, MD3184 w/ harness.

They are a little pricey, but IMHO, worth every bit of what they cost in peace of mind.

Do you all think these are appropriate for activities like sunfish sailing, kayaking and SUP boarding too??

Do you all think these are appropriate for activities like sunfish sailing, kayaking and SUP boarding too??

Maybe kayaking with "low expectations of a turnover"...but the others suggest getting wet and rearming them would be costly and a PIA.

Omega type IIIs used to be very light and comfortable due to the design and comfy enough for sunfish/boarding...see if you can find a type III that you like.

But it's your time, money and comfort......

Best PFD

Got my girlfriend the purple one from West Marine. You can disable to auto inflate to make them suitable for kayak and/or swimming and then just manually inflate if needed. Very comfortable and she liked the color. We both wear PFD all the time when out.

Is it bad to regularly get them wet (most especially in the dirty water of the Neuse River and Trent River basins) without inflating them? In other words, you can't SUP, Sunfish sail, or kayak without swimming. Will wearing on during passive or incidental swimming ruin them, or their inflating mechanism?

Is it bad to regularly get them wet (most especially in the dirty water of the Neuse River and Trent River basins) without inflating them? In other words, you can't SUP, Sunfish sail, or kayak without swimming. Will wearing on during passive or incidental swimming ruin them, or their inflating mechanism?

I would guess that some I have seen would corrode and I wouldn't trust them as a primary vest anymore...

But every model seems to be a little different so inspect the inflate mechanism and see if corrosion would be an issue.

The old bobbin types...I'm not sure you could take the bobbin out and leave the cylinder in...forget how the spring mechanism works.

The hydrostatic ones I haven't played with but if they can get wet and rinsed and set to manual...what the heck I would use it then....dirty water may stain them but I doubt hurt them.

If you are going to get it wet you should look into kayak style vests, low bulk with large arm openings for mobility. I give a kayak style vest to my "new" passengers on their first kayak trip, so if they tip over it doesn't cost me $70 for a new re-arm kit. I believe the auto inflate style vests are intended for people who really don't plan on getting in the water but want the safety. An inflator vest will not protect you if you get knocked senseless during your activity. I carry both types on board for different activities and different passenger capabilities, kids get full flotation equipment with crotch straps on at least one side. jmo

Got my girlfriend the purple one from West Marine. You can disable to auto inflate to make them suitable for kayak and/or swimming and then just manually inflate if needed. Very comfortable and she liked the color. We both wear PFD all the time when out.

We where told the same as you from WM when purchasing the same vest for my wife a year ago. I think the auto inflate only works somehow in conjunction with depth of your submersion??? Will have to read the instruction book next trip to be sure.

WM brand have been fine even though we've never had to use them.

Attachments

• image-2716089380.jpg
    image-2716089380.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 67
Hard to determine real safety through marketing hype...

Every piece of safety gear I wore in 20 years flying for the USCG wasn't USCG "approved".

USCG approval is usually based on "sailor proofness" and for the dullest tack in the box...if you are neither...seek out what the real pros use when their lives depend on it and the USCG is only one of many orgs....

You buy established brands with an excellent reputation. Select the PFD that best suits your use and make sure you are comfortable with the fit and finish.

Nothing like having a rag hanging around your neck that irritates the **** out of you.

JMHO...

You buy established brands with an excellent reputation. Select the PFD that best suits your use and make sure you are comfortable with the fit and finish. Nothing like having a rag hanging around your neck that irritates the **** out of you. JMHO...
:iagree:

"Bess and I want to get inflatable PFD's this year. She tells me Mustang is the best"

You should listen to her....................:nonono:

You buy established brands with an excellent reputation. Select the PFD that best suits your use and make sure you are comfortable with the fit and finish.

Nothing like having a rag hanging around your neck that irritates the **** out of you.

JMHO...

Not a bad start but sure no guarantee you are even in the same ballpark when it comes to safety gear...remember...even the "big names" have to meet a standard that is created for the lowest common denominator.

Things like straps and buckles and zippers...they are for ease of donning and durability...not necessarily what works best for you.

Look at the BOLD PRINT on many of the inflatables...it says that ANY alteration will render the USCG approval void...even if you add a crotch strap that you have tested and know it works....it doesn't matter to the bureaucracy...

In the USCG we often tested "civilian" gear when I was in polar operation...most of it was vastly superior. I was on a letter writing campaign demanding better cold water immersion flight gear. We used to fly in double wet suits and couldn't safely fly due to the restriction of movement....it took almost 10 years to catch up with goretex drysuits with fleece undergarments...civilian market no problem but getting stuff through Wash, DC is like getting stuff through Congress.

Like USCG flares...carry what is required for the safety inspection...but buy the living daylights out of SOLAS flares, lasers, strobes, etc...etc as USCG flares are all but useless....well they are OK 10% of the time maybe....

Not a bad start but sure no guarantee you are even in the same ballpark when it comes to safety gear...remember...even the "big names" have to meet a standard that is created for the lowest common denominator.

Things like straps and buckles and zippers...they are for ease of donning and durability...not necessarily what works best for you.

Look at the BOLD PRINT on many of the inflatables...it says that ANY alteration will render the USCG approval void...even if you add a crotch strap that you have tested and know it works....it doesn't matter to the bureaucracy...

In the USCG we often tested "civilian" gear when I was in polar operation...most of it was vastly superior. I was on a letter writing campaign demanding better cold water immersion flight gear. We used to fly in double wet suits and couldn't safely fly due to the restriction of movement....it took almost 10 years to catch up with goretex drysuits with fleece undergarments...civilian market no problem but getting stuff through Wash, DC is like getting stuff through Congress.

Like USCG flares...carry what is required for the safety inspection...but buy the living daylights out of SOLAS flares, lasers, strobes, etc...etc as USCG flares are all but useless....well they are OK 10% of the time maybe....

And we can all die. Which we are all going to do anyway.

Make your best choice and hopefully it will work out. If not then please tell me what the other side is all about...

All my family has Mustangs, I wear a Spinloc Deckvest 5D. The Spinloc is a remnant of my sailing days, a bit pricey but extremely comfortable, has D-rings to attach to a jackline as well as a lifting point at the back of the collar should the wearer need to be lifted aboard.

Last edited:
I also have a spin lock deck vest but an older model. Extremely comfortable, it doesn't rest on my neck at all. Matt has a mustang off shore auto inflate.

We've both had a few different auto inflate PFDs over the years. My first was a west marine brand and after a couple years the Velcro wouldn't stay closed and the co2 cartridge hung out the side. Then matt got me a mustang, which was comfortable, but it was not the offshore model so it didn't have a built in harness. Since we were sailing offshore i needed the harness so he got me the spin lock. I'd say get the built in harness for what you'll be doing. Try on some different models and see what's comfortable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom