Yahama 2 cycle 25 HP carb cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith

Guru
Vessel Name
Anastasia III
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I think I need to clean the carb on my outboard. It won't slow idle, and when throttling up, it kinda reaches an RPM plateau, the boom! It's gone at full throttle. Is this hard? I sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake, but didn't solve the problem.

Yes and no. It took over 6 hours of work plus soaking to clean the carb on my 3.5HP. Bottom line is always run additive with the new ethanol. When you clean it be sure you clean every single valve/tube there is, some of them are not readily apparent.

Yea, I already put fresh gas in the tank with a stabilizer. Thanks!

What we are seeing a lot of in gas*engines is failing to reach WOT due to the fuel degrading. This is in addition to carbs getting gummed up or floats being stuck.

Most fuel additive work best when allowed to*blend overnight in the fuel tanks. Some additives we pour into the filters and ingest this immediately into the engines, cleans injectors on the spot.

El Sea/L.C.

Sucking Sludge & Havin a Gas

Here in Fl, where there are lots of gas boats , the new trend is gas stations near the water with big signs advertising NO ETHANOL gas.

Hope this catches on everywhere , as lots of yard equipment and RV's also suffer from 30 day to engine poison gasoline.

FF

Hi *keith* i have the same outboard* and its great . Are you sure you need to clean the carbs?* For many years we have taken them out and cleaned them and we found out that was not the problem . With so much vibration the carbs should be adjusted once a year . Sounds like the same thing we have gone thru.

I finally took it to the shop. Sure enough, the lower carb was all gummed up and clogged. Should have it back next week.

For 4 years in a row, after an extended layup and draining the fuel from the carbs beforehand, I had to clean/rebuild the carbs on my Yamaha 130HP 2-stroke to the tune of $3-400 a shot. I confronted an Yamaha engineer at the Miami Boat show about the high annual expense and inconvenience and he admitted that there was a problem with the small diameter jets in the carbs and related blockage.
He said that a fuel additive called Ring Free would aleviate the problem.
With the religious use of the additive in every tank and running out the carbs before storage I did not have to touch the carbs for the next 11 years. A number of outboard manufactuers offer an identical product.
Today I use the additive with my 20 HP 4 stroke with great results.

Mike,
Welcome aboard! I see you are down in Miami. Has the boating season kicked off there yet?

Have been reading how some folks are putting Propane kits on their OB.

Fuel lasts forever with out the mandated alcohol contamination , and the small under 10 hp just sip fuel.

Many cruisers have been switching to Electric trolling motors ,

to remove the hassles for the bride when visiting shore solo.

They've been doing that for years on the boats on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Mostly to keep the smell down, but they say they work great, very convenient, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom