wing engine/generator combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a cockamamie idea for maintain game clean reserve for emergency.

1. Size a suitable tank for available space and estimated needs.
2. Mount this tank so the top is higher than main tank(s).
3. Return fuel through a large Racor/small element filter to this tank.
4. Have an over flow from top of the tank that by gravity will flow into main tank(s).
5. Have a supply from this tank to manifold and then to whatever motors you wish.

This fuel is essentially cleaned all the time, having passed through primary filter, engine secondary filter and final polishing filter. No maintenance or monitoring is necessary until you need it.

Any fuel experts here? Comments? I'm NOT an expert in this area.

I had already contemplated the auxiliary fuel tank idea. All this talk of fuel is what originally had me designing a 48 volt DC auxiliary drive for main shaft. It made the electrical system a nightmare though for the different voltage requirements etc w/ converters. Did allow 24 volt large alternators etc. though. The thought was it would be immediately available (I know electronics fail too) and at least be able to run for a short period of time 1 - 2 hours before gen would have to be online.

Not to side track the thread with the above.

On the battery charger for international hook ups: I can't locate a charger of over say 100 amps or so for 50 hz. Looked at DC generation with essentially a 12 volt boat for a while. I am afraid to smallish dc generators will lack sufficient HP to run hydraulics. It is one of the reasons my boat currently has the 12 kw westrbeke - not for elec capacity, but for motor hp for hydraulic pump.

Keeps me coming back to direct drive shaft off auxiliary motor that I will dual purpose by using belt drive AC generator. Because of the flaws in every theory.

I agree with the maintenance, spares, knowledge etc. But like I said, I'm a belt and suspenders kind of a guy. Besides a 6 - 8kw northern lights gen $$ is not to far off my total $$ for wing w/ AC gen (also high amp DC alternator) and gives me much more versatility.

On the battery charger for international hook ups: I can't locate a charger of over say 100 amps or so for 50 hz.

Europe (and much of the rest of the world) is lousy with the things. Check out a Mastervolt catalog.

How do we protect the get home system from fuel issues? __________________

DAY TANK , used properly.

Back
Top Bottom