Trawler to Sail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
Has anyone gone or know someone who has gone from Trawler to Sailboat?

Extended range to Caribbean is the thought.

Sounds like BobH is about to........

Yea. Look him up in the users list. Or go to the recent thread "South Texas Yacht Service"

Bess and I brought this home yesterday.

Attachments

• image-3343136297.jpg
    image-3343136297.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 106
We started with power (small boats for fishing and water skiing), then went to sail (for the enjoyment of the sport and size boat we could get for the money), now in our Nordic Tug (to take longer trips than the sailboat in greater comfort without being restricted by draft). However, we will likely go back to sail again when we retire to spend a few years traveling. Aside from sailing for the sport of it, it really depends on the usage you have in mind.

No need to decide with a motorsailer.

The comfort and space of a trawler with the efficiency and rough water capability of a sailboat. Travel under power, sail or both, depending on the weather, or your inclination on the day.

Not a motorsailer:

img_193137_0_f474d623327b482885455711be407303.jpg

Yup, didn't know him very well but he went from sail to trawler [36GB] back to sail.

Can't see sailing till diesel gets to expensive.

I get a mile to the quart now. Hull speed is 7.2 knts.

Slow but it's the voyage not the vessel.

SD

Reaching back and forth behind the Windwards is great fun.

The abilirty to get to the islands with only the fuel bill for the refrigeration is also great.

The difference is in the volume of the boat , sail boats can not be beach balls , and the fact that on most sail boats you live below , in the hull , on many motorboats the best accommodation is above deck level.

Sail does very well offshore , 1 in 1000 power boats are built to cross oceans .

IF cruising costs are a prime concern the round trip with a solid 60s or 70s sail boat for a few years would be hard to beat.

As an auto pilot is needed for most marine motorists , a wind operated self steering gear is almost mandatory for an offshore sail vessel.

The Aries is my suggestion , as it is excellent in following seas.

Has anyone gone or know someone who has gone from Trawler to Sailboat?

Extended range to Caribbean is the thought.

In 1997 we sold our 1981 34 Mainship and bought a Slocum 43 cutter rigged sailboat for the extended range. We lived and cruised on it for 10 years and 43,000 miles. We then sold the sailboat and bought Hobo. We've done the Caribbean with the sailboat and also with Hobo. The Caribbean is great sailing if you're a sailor but I'm nor sure I'd sell the trawler if the Caribbean is your destination. This past season we left Trinidad, went up the chain to Florida and used 536 gallons of fuel for the SP135. That doesn't' include the fuel we used in 206 hours we put on the generator.

BH: Get a hold of Al on Avalon (forum member). He has a 35 Chein Hwa trawler where they live in Halifax and a sailboat that they keep in Trinidad for the winter season.

Back
Top Bottom