Best Modification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave

I used piano hinges on the hatches for a Krogen 42. Put a ladder under both the forward hatch and the hatch in the salon. Designed a table so that the salon hatch could be raised between the two posts for the table.

Away from the boat or I would attach a photo.

Marty

In the last two years we have done many upgrades and modifications, such as electronics (MFDs, AIS, radar), SAT-TV, sound system, internet router, new mattresses and so on. But these are the modifications, which we love most they are worth every Cent:

Kabola water heating - radiators from the engine room up to the salon, with towel radiators in the bathroom, shower and head keeps us toasty. It is great comfort and pure joy! The Kabola runs 24/7 all year round, even if we are not on the boat.

Mast laying system - with two 12 V DC cylinders we can lower and raise the mast. Great on inland waterways (bridge clearance). No back pain!
[FONT=&quot]
No gas galley - we switched to home appliances, induction cooktop, oven and refrigerator/freezer. My wife loves this arrangement and I must not handle the gas bottles.

Karl

[/FONT]

I've done many upgrades and refitting but the one thing I did that was a "modification" increased boat control in large stern seas but much more significantly in harbor maneuvers.

When I converted to hydraulic steering I mounted the slave cylinder or ram so as to align the control rod to the next hole in closer to the rudder post. Was 6 turns L to L and now is 3. The added speed was/is a blessing in following seas but the large reduction in turn radius was wonderful. The rudder now swings a total of 90 degrees (45 each way) and I have found no downside whatsoever. Best modification.

I know there is a rule of thumb that rudder deflection over 35 degrees offers no increase in response. Perhaps on a high speed boat but the response to the additional 10 degrees of rudder swing is phenomenal on our 30' Willard.

As you can see in the picture Willy has a sizable rudder for a 30' boat but other than that just a run-of-the-mill standard flat plate bronze rudder.

Attachments

• STH71269 copy.jpg
    STH71269 copy.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 108
Do you have source for the latches?

I looked at the latches used to hold up a bar-flap, but I wasn't happy with the sharp projections, and they would only have worked for two out of the three hatches. In the end I made latches like the one in the first pic. Not elegant, but safe and functional.

I wanted hinges that I could install with the hatches in place - better chance of getting a good fit. The ones in the third pic are called "butler-tray" hinges.

Attachments

• Hatch-1.jpg
    Hatch-1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Hatch-2.jpg
    Hatch-2.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Hatch-3.jpg
    Hatch-3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 114
Moving the dinghy's stowage position from the upper deck to the stern platform. Instead of 20 (or more) minutes to deploy the dinghy, it now takes two minutes. Much more convenient, but especially much safer.

Since we were also switching out dinghies we went for a short time with both. Looked either strange or the ultimate in redundancy.

We were still sorting out the stern davit so please excuse the lack of perfect symmetry re the dinghy siting...

Attachments

• DSC_8531.jpg
    DSC_8531.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 117
The Robertson AP with a long remote cord.

Second a Dania Flea market new fancy comfortable helm chair for $200.

As we swim often... Out of a couple ladders, several steps (two different types), two extension/joining sleeves and bunch of SS bolts I constructed 6' swim ladder w/ 1" knotted line for ease of boarding and to well fasten ladder in up position when leaving boat. If alone on board cruising or relaxing I release knotted line to hang down and have simple tension clip hold ladder upright... so if needed it can be firmly tugged upon with one hand from water and down she comes for emergency boarding! Cause ya just never know!!

Attachments

• Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom