View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
From your posts, you sound like you're using circular reasoning regarding this unit.

You seem to have a preconceived theory that rebuilding this generator is a good idea, and you are making justifications to support your theory.

You do not know if the generator end is any good.
You know the engine is a rust bucket inside.

You believe that you can get a rebuild for $1000 in labor and what, $500 in parts, if I read your post correctly. This is almost guaranteed not to be the case.

You believe that you can get a new motor for $2,000. If thats true, then you'd be way better buying new rather than rebuilding, but I dont believe that you'll find a new motor for $2,000, but I could be wrong there.

If you were mechanically inclined enough to do this job yourself, and felt like doing the work, then I'd say to go for it. Your labor would be free and you'd learn allot.

Since you're hiring the job out, I'd say to not even try.

Here''s a little background on what I'm saying.

I am in the backup power business. I've worked on generators as part of my living for over 30 years.

When I first went into business for myself back in 1997 I had this bright idea that I would take in used worn out small prime power generators, completely rebuild them to like new condition and re-sell them, allowing a trade in of the old unit. Sounds like a good business plan, right... Nope

The fact is that I tried several of them, and found that by the time I paid myself for labor at a profitable shop rate, and bought the parts,I was approaching the price I could pay for a new complete generator, at dealer prices.

Thats why shops do not do rebuilds of small generators very often. It doesn't make financial sense. Larger generators, yes, but not small ones.

So, good luck. Take the advice or not, its your sword to fall on.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote