Old 11-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #50
Tony B
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
The whole point in selecting a powerplant is to match its output to the boat's operating parameters. ..........
Rick, I certainly do appreciate your input and this is where I am caught in somewhat of a loop using circular logic with myself. My situation is totally different than you guys with 'real' trawler. I have a 36' Mainship aft cabin model. The manufacturer calls it a Motoryacht. I have twin 270 HP engines for a total of 540 HP and we like to do trawler speeds and not planning speeds. It just seems to me that a boats cruising speed should be matched with its props. Since we normally cruise well under the designed cruising speed I thought I could get a closer match by re-pitching my props. I realize that adding 1" of pitch with a small cupping is not a drastic change but it might do something for my low end power, steering, control and fuel consumption since the factory prop is made to operate in a totally different range.
This whole experiment is only costing me about $75 more than just repairing my props.

Please tell me where my logic is flawed. I still have time to change my mind.

Thanks in advance