how do I play the yacht-broker game?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
When I was shopping for my sailboat, I had money in my pocket and was ready to buy when I found the right boat. Buying my trawler will be different. I have done a lot of searching/research in yachtworld, and I would be interested in looking at some boats next year. But, my sailboat will not go on the market until fall 2014, and I can't get serious about the buying the trawler until I sell the sailboat. So, two questions.

#1: will brokers be reluctant/resentful to show me boats when they learn I am not currently a serious buyer?

#2: since I can read yachtworld and ask questions on this forum and tour boats for sale all on my own, does it make any sense to locate a broker to work with me relatively early in the boat-buying process?

So between now and probably the spring of 2015 when your sailboat sells, you are a tire kicker, looky lou, or whatever you want to call it. I am not trying to be disrespectful, but recognize that no broker is going to want to indulge you in looking for more than a year.

Look on Yachtworld, ask questions on forums and if you just have to see a boat to help with your thinking, then call the listing broker and ask for a showing. You don't have to tell him much about your buying plans. The fact that you are willing to come to his brokerage or meet him at the boat to see it is enough.

But don't abuse it. Occasionally is ok and it will give you a chance to meet brokers for when you really are in a position to buy.

But unless he is really patient, working with a so called buyers broker now would be unproductive.

David

Door # 2. They won't know you are not serious unless you tell them

#1: will brokers be reluctant/resentful to show me boats when they learn I am not currently a serious buyer?

#2: since I can read yachtworld and ask questions on this forum and tour boats for sale all on my own, does it make any sense to locate a broker to work with me relatively early in the boat-buying process?

#1 Yes
#2 No

The best way to successfully get this accomplished is to use your "selling time" time to
  • walk the docks,
  • go to boat shows,
  • look at a few boats beyond your price range to see why they are vs the budget you have set for yourself,
  • don't believe any ads,
  • assess your repair skills vs the fixer uppers you find,
  • and last but not least - cheap up front does not mean low cost in the next year or two.

...Look on Yachtworld, ask questions on forums and if you just have to see a boat to help with your thinking, then call the listing broker and ask for a showing. You don't have to tell him much about your buying plans. The fact that you are willing to come to his brokerage or meet him at the boat to see it is enough.

That's my thought as well. Last I looked, the public wasn't beating down the brokers doors.

But don't abuse it. Occasionally is ok and it will give you a chance to meet brokers for when you really are in a position to buy.

Again, I would agree. To me, it's like buying a car or a house. I'm going to want to look and test (as much as you can anyway), before I purchase.

If I were a broker and unless I was over run with customers, I'd be thrilled that people were actually calling/coming by. It tells me that I'm still active in the market and people are reading my ads, etc.:dance:

But just like a real estate agent or car salesman, I'm personally not going to waste their time repeatedly, unless I know I'm going to be in the market relatively soon.

Instead, hit the boat shows and the marina's. I'm finding that many of the owners are more than happy to chat with you and/or show you around their vessels.

But unless he is really patient, working with a so called buyers broker now would be unproductive.

Again, David has the right idea.
If you need to see something specific that you just can't work out on line, at the shows or a marina somewhere, then contact the broker.

Door # 2. They won't know you are not serious unless you tell them

This is true as well, but sometimes, if you're upfront with them and don't abuse their graciousness, I've found that sales people are more than happy to help you with your decisions. Their hope of course, is when you're ready to lay down the $$$$, you'll recall their courtesy.

I bought my last (and I do mean LAST) new car that way. Had several high pressure sales people make decent offers, but I went with the one that took some time with me and didn't pressure me:thumb:

Good luck with your shopping.

OD

Trawler buyers can be notoriously slow to make a buying decision. Many are buying their last boat after owning several. They don't want to make a mistake, and study the market carefully. Brokers that cater to this market know this, and if you are respectful of their time will work with you until the situation is right for you. If they won't do this, don't deal with that broker. There are some that understand the market. Find one. Be honest, and you may build a profitable relationship for both.

Trawler buyers can be notoriously slow to make a buying decision. Many are buying their last boat after owning several. They don't want to make a mistake, and study the market carefully. Brokers that cater to this market know this, and if you are respectful of their time will work with you until the situation is right for you. If they won't do this, don't deal with that broker. There are some that understand the market. Find one. Be honest, and you may build a profitable relationship for both.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Great job!:thumb:

Happy cruising to all.

H. Foster

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom