I Bought It...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations. A word of advice---don't hit the dock or you will be buying the marina a new dock.

Dude-totally awesome:)

I don't like it, I love it! Big ole salty boat full of character that says, "yeah I'm here, deal with it!"

Well played sir!

:thumb::thumb:

I actually used a dock to dock, so to speak. My current slip is in a corner of two docks, put the bow gently against the corner of the dock, throw the wheel over and scoot the stern over. You would never do that with a painted boat!

I actually used a dock to dock, so to speak. My current slip is in a corner of two docks, put the bow gently against the corner of the dock, throw the wheel over and scoot the stern over. You would never do that with a painted boat!

My Imron will blush...

Undoubtedly you will receive many, continuous unsolicited compliments about your boat. Same thing with my Coot: "beautiful boat," "love your boat," "my favorite boat," and so on from passerbys, although with my boat it has much to do with the color scheme besides the boat's figure/outline.

Topside pressure washing and some cosmetics, although it is never going to be shiny, I want it to look cared for, which it will be. New bedding, LED lights, better dinghy, wash the lines, new fenders...........

We used a chemical brightener on the aircraft, it removes all the stains and is easy to use, just brush on wait a few minutes and wash off, while she's on the hard of course:thumb:

found this:
Snee Chemical Aluminum Brightener Gallon Jesco | eBay

Let me say "well built" I dig well built :smitten:

She's currently at Cowichan Bay, once I've finished with some maintenance stuff she will be going to the Sunshine Coast. One day I will move her closer to Vancouver but moorage is getting stupidly expensive there. I answered an ad for "Great prices for moorage, new marina etc etc..." And they were asking $22/foot! My response to them was unprintable. I've rented entire houses for less than that.

Thanks, Robbie, that's just what I was looking for. I don't like hydrofluoric acid, I've heard its bad for you, but it's bound to do the job. I'll look for a local product as shipping could be an issue.

Congrats! Looks like a fantastic boat! Keep us abreast as your make it your own!

I'm cheered that nobody said it looks like the box a Grand Banks comes in or worse. I'm very sensitive, you know!

Hi Ken
Congratulations and welcome back. Have followed you for years........on an other forum..:blush:

A little change from a GB but a great westcoast cruiser and a piece of history to boot. Now the work starts to get her to "Polar Star" standards....:thumb:

Thanks Mike, I wondered if Polar Star would fit this boat - jury's still drinking coffee and contemplating. It was a difficult purchase, I had nobody's experience to fall back on. I could personally survey any glass Grand Banks up to about 1990 but this one was a challenge, not to mention the tribulations with the broker and the owner. What a gruesome process, but I survived and if it's not sinking as we speak, there should be plenty of good cruising in her yet.

I can't wait to run the firehose!

Congratulations!

[
Regardless of make, model, year or condition, she is obviously the boat you were looking and the only thing that matters. All boats are different and offer their own unique purpose and character. This is one serious looking boat, enjoy!

John T.

So, now what?
I see Gwai Haanas is about to adopt a new owner, will you be joining the land cruiser fleet? Somehow, I doubt that.

Congratulations on the sale, I guess.
With all the new, never boated before buyers, I imagine there were some intriguing moments in the marketing process, of that ship.

I certainly hope you are not a stranger here, going forward.

Dutch wooden shoe came to mind when I saw the photo. Looks like PHUN. I'll bet heading into a 4-5 foot sea would be a "stumping" experience.

How ya'gon'na keep the bow wave from crashing onto the foredeck?

Sorry, but that is a seriously blunt bow. Maybe she's faster in reverse, eh?

(sorry again)

Not an invalid question. Also interested in how the boat looks and is operating eight whole years later. FWIW, I think she looks very practical, like she wears sensible shoes.

XSBank,
After 8 years, we hope you have almost completed your refit. I dont think any boat has ever finished the refit process. Always something to do/improve.
After reading most of your posts on the boat, I guess I have missed the URL to the interior pics.
The bow design.... hmmm, how does it take the waves?
Yes, I do like and envy you selection. Looks brutal. Perhaps it is not the prettiest boat at the dock but it will outshine most of them when it comes to seaworthiness and performance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom