Best Modification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Best Modification(s)

I have searched and haven't found one on the Forum so I thought I would start one. What is your best modification to your boat, whether it be engine, cosmetic, fishing related, it doesn't matter. Whatever you feel has been your top...For me so far its been,
Changing the boot stripe color (much more appealing).
Adding our chosen name to the boat. Can't wait to see it!

I am going to post in a different thread a link once it's splashed showing all the new changes/improvements Maybe a short video.

Our Heaven 34' Convertible

Increasing the size of the swim step by 50%. With the old teak step, you had 6 inches of usable walking space due to the reverse angle on the transom. Now I can stand on the swim step, net or gaff fish, clean fish, and drag the kayak up out of the water. Next was Sirius satellite radio.

Tom

Outside helm and Morse controls and a chair in my aft cockpit--next best thing to a flybridge. I'm not a fan on indoor boating unless there is foul weather. Note the smoke stack for the pellet stove, which was removed. This was the 2nd best modification because I can now add some cabinets!

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 140
Cheap, but functional, wheel pilot.

Working head and a properly vented holding tank.

Changing the old windlass to one that powers down as well as up, along with controls for same at both helms means I can now anchor without starting divorce proceedings.

New, modern, electronics including a MFD at both helms were a must and have been appreciated on all trips, especially when navigating in heavy fog.

But perhaps the best mod was last year moving the dinghy from the sun deck hardtop to a set of custom mount St Croix davits at the cockpit. Besides making it much quicker and safer to deploy, particularly when there is any wind, the dinghy no longer blocks the view aft from the fly-bridge. I used to have to stand up to look over the dink. Same with crew and passengers. Now everyone gets a 360° view of our wonderful scenery.

Downside is I pay for an extra 3' at transient docks. I can still put the dinghy on top, but haven't felt the need to do that since mounting the davits.

Attachments

• dinghybefore.jpg
    dinghybefore.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 147
  • dinghydavits.jpg
    dinghydavits.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Dinghyafter.jpg
    Dinghyafter.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 165
A 9.9hp outboard kicker mounted on a swivel bracket on the swim step. No towing services around here, and can go days without seeing other vessels where we boat. Never needed to use it, but nice to know it's back there, just in case...

My favorite has been replacing all the cabin lighting with LEDs and adding LED rope lights:

img_20130818_200033.jpg

img_20130818_200551.jpg

Oh, I forgot the memory foam/gel topper for the bed. That completely transformed a barely tolerable mattress into luxurious comfort

1. Memory foam for aft-stateroom
2. Full eisen-glass enclosure for aft deck
3. Texilene sunshades on front and side windows.

First thing I did when I bought both boats was to completely redesign & rebuild every single hatch and fit them with hinges for instant access to every system onboard. I then scrubbed, sanded and painted everything below decks. When access is easy, its easy to maintain and keep clean and much more likely to be kept that way.

Attachments

• ENGINE 1.jpg
    ENGINE 1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 42b.jpg
    42b.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 136
Boom extension

Extending boom length by two feet and adding an electric winch. Dingy ops are a breeze now.

Attachments

• Winch.jpg
    Winch.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 136
  • winch side.jpg
    winch side.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 142
  • winch close.jpg
    winch close.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Boom Splice.jpg
    Boom Splice.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 138
Try # 2 - just noticed I hit "post" too fast:facepalm:

Mine are more upgrades than mods:

• Replaced the 1980s era electronics with a complete Raymarine electronics suite.
  • Replaced the saloon and sundeck furniture and recovered the dinette furniture.
  • Installed a forced air diesel heater.
  • Replaced both Jabsco toilets with Raritan macerating units.
  • Replaced the ventless washer/dryer combo with a vented unit.
  • Installed a tank monitoring system
  • Replaced the Realistic cassette deck, and installed a Sirius Satellite radio with remote and amps.
  • Installed a 12v Audiovox Blu-Ray player (indash install), and trashed the VHS player.
  • Installed LED lighting in the galley, saloon, and engine room.

The 2 best mods done to the boat are:

1. Memory foam mattresses (with anti-mildew mats underneath) in both cabins
  2. The PO installed a small inverter to power the TV and internet router.

Life onboard is very nice :D

When I bought Beachcomber and had her shipped to our area from Detroit I had several things installed.....
Bow thruster & two dedicated batteries for it
Extended Swim Platform
Large Inverter & three dedicated batteries for it
Generator exhaust water separator

It's hard to say which I think was the best one, but the Gen exhaust water separator comes in close to the top. When the gen is running you can hardly hear the exhaust when you're standing next to it. If we're rafted up, people on the next boat don't even know the gen is running.

#1 & 2 - we're on Lake Michigan so replacing the 2 gallon treat and discharge system with a 55 gallon holding tank.

Man...I've done so many mods, I don't know which one to pick. Maybe the candidate for the top of the list would be the one that's happening right now, and that is the removal of the genset from its hellacious space beneath the galley to its own spacious hatch in the veranda. Moving this genset may be liken to moving every other system on the boat. For one, the other systems below the galley become easily accessible (charger, inverter, hot water heater, waste tank, etc.., just as if I moved all of them to a better space. The other plus is that once in its new hatch in the veranda, I'll be able to stand on either side of the genset for servicing. No more so-called "service side" of the genset. It hasn't been cheap or easy, but the unit is out and being reconditioned now....should be ready to install in another two weeks.

Removing the two fixed swivel chairs from the cockpit, although comfortable they proved awkward. Replaced with a couple of comfy patio chairs found at Home Cheapo that really improved the use of space.

This rudder lets me turn like twins in a single screw boat. Paravanes are a close second.

Attachments

• image-659728613.jpg
    image-659728613.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 155
  • image-679982488.jpg
    image-679982488.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 126
Do you have details on this? I think I have a problem with my vent.

I followed Peggy the HeadMistress's instructions. She contributes to this forum on occasion. It was a while ago but the main features were to replace the worthless 1/2" diameter vent hose with a 1.5" diameter hose. And use the Raritan Kills Odor (KO) bacteria. The idea is to have plenty of fresh air (oxygen) available for the aerobic bacteria to live in the tank. If there is insufficient air the aerobic bacteria dies and is replaced with anaerobic bacteria, which is the type that causes the rotten egg stench.

Ideally, you would have 2 vent hoses on opposites to help ensure air circulation.

For my money, she got it right. Forget the carbon filters and all that nonsense. Air flow and aerobic bacteria seems to be the ticket. And, it's bone simple.

Before I did this the stench was enough to gag a maggot. Since then it's been only on very rare occasions that I get a whiff of it all.

Hopefully Peggy is reading and will chime in with a better report.

Nothing beats a warm dry boat. I installed this in 2011 and my wife and I both agree this is the single best project so far.

Attachments

• Dickinson Heater1.jpg
    Dickinson Heater1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 138
The Webasto boiler hot water heating. Runs 24/7 for 9 month. keeps the boat dry and warm

I or she thinks the gastop and then the electric oven up grade was the best thing so yes it a gas top and a separate electric oven

salon Remodel

I replaced the carpeting and sofa with a Teak & Holly sole and a new settee.
I did all of the work myself.

Attachments

• 6DSC09964.jpg
    6DSC09964.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Before Forward.jpg
    Before Forward.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 112
  • Salon New Floor.jpg
    Salon New Floor.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Salon Now.JPG
    Salon Now.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 113
Water under her keel.
She was on the hard for 4 years while we put our daughter through college.

Waste system redesign. A vented loop in the discharge lines for the electric heads keeps a small pool of clean fresh water in the bowl...odor from the lines/tank is history. Conversion to fresh water flush and all new discharge lines (90% hard PVC and all down hill to the holding tanks) further transformed the old stinker. Eliminating the intake pumps vastly increased pumping action and decreased noise. The old Raritan Crowns are good for another 25 years.

I too fitted hinges to the engineroom access hatches. Originally the three large/heavy hatches in the saloon floor just lifted out - hard to find somewhere to put them where they can't slide around. Now each has a pair of hinges and a latch to hold it securely in the "up" position.

My other favourite mod is an oil-less 1.5hp air compressor. With my scuba regulator, and 40ft of Brownies air hose, I can dive the area around my boat (and scrape barnacles) all day without the inconvenience of refilling scuba tanks afterwards.

I too fitted hinges to the engineroom access hatches. Originally the three large/heavy hatches in the saloon floor just lifted out - hard to find somewhere to put them where they can't slide around. Now each has a pair of hinges and a latch to hold it securely in the "up" position.

My other favourite mod is an oil-less 1.5hp air compressor. With my scuba regulator, and 40ft of Brownies air hose, I can dive the area around my boat (and scrape barnacles) all day without the inconvenience of refilling scuba tanks afterwards.

Do you have source for the latches?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom