I Bought It...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xsbank

Guru
Vessel Name
Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Make
Custom Aluminum 52
... That's why all that discussion on aluminum boats. One of the two best days of a boater's life...she's 50 feet by 15, has a single Cummins 8.3 with 250 horse, Twin Disc gears, she's pretty grubby and needs a muffler but she's all mine (well, and The Admiral's). She needs a good wash inside and out, some tiddling-up inside and a scrub with some aluminum cleaner, she needs a bottom job too, but she'll be ready to go to her winter home in a couple of days.

Sadly, she's not pretty, but like they say, beauty's in the eye of the beer holder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 264
She looks ready for what comes her way.

... That's why all that discussion on aluminum boats. One of the two best days of a boater's life...she's 50 feet by 15, has a single Cummins 8.3 with 250 horse, Twin Disc gears, she's pretty grubby and needs a muffler but she's all mine (well, and The Admiral's). She needs a good wash inside and out, some tiddling-up inside and a scrub with some aluminum cleaner, she needs a bottom job too, but she'll be ready to go to her winter home in a couple of days.

Sadly, she's not pretty, but like they say, beauty's in the eye of the beer holder.

Congratulations - she is an attractive vessel to my eye! I had a look at her (from the dock only) a number of years ago when she was docked in Maple Bay. Very impressive, and I think you will have some great adventures on her.

Congratulations. You have a receptive audience for your boat. What is important is how well she works away from the dock.

What are your plans for the inside?

Marty

I like the forward boom with lines to control its swing. The whole boat just looks rugged. She seems fairly salty and functional like a commercial boat. I like it a lot.
You could hang some pirates from those yardarms. ;)
Good luck, hope she works out for you folks.

Mufflers come in 2 styles , IOWA 80 has truck mufflers that are fine .

But if you really like the sound of silence , Google hospital critical mufflers (big and heavy , but worth it) and enjoy!!!

i am a huge fan of the utility look. she is beautiful. more pics please!

Congratulations, she's a brute (the boat, not the admiral) :)

Love to see some pics of her bottom (the boat not the ... oh never mind)

I think she looks great!! You will definitely get looks and questions from others as you come into an anchorage.

Is the hull hard chined and fairly flat? Looks that way from the bow. How much water does she draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I think it looks functionally aesthetically pleasing and it is a work of art metal art not glass art! As said by others it is yours and great to hear you are the proud owner Congratulations

Congratulations indeed, looking forward to seeing lots of pics, especially of her interior layout and her bottom.

Salty and tough looking! Very, very nice! :thumb:

Congratulations. Function before form is what I'm learning.

She looks like she will get the job done!

I'll take biscuits and gravy to sissy stewed asparagus tips anytime. I LIKE IT! Just like Marks boat, it has no apologies when it pulls into a marina. Rather, is says "Yeah, look at the size of this mast"! All the lady boats will swoon. I was surprised to hear that she draws 4'4" with that hull. It'll be interesting to hear what Eric has to say with this one.

Last edited:
Congrats! She looks mighty fine to me:thumb:

That brute of a ship (boat - I guess) turns me on! You will have a real great time on her (him??) Best luck and keep us up to date!

Way cool boat! Might not be so easy to install a bow thruster with that blunt nose, but I have a feeling the original operators didn't need no stinkin' bow thruster! :thumb: Have big fun.

Last edited:
I walked past this boat many times up in Cowichan Bay and loved the way it looks as well as the ruggedness of it. We thought it was a fabulous boat too. It was worked up the the Queen Charlottes from what I remember and has a nice working pedigree on the coast.

She's gorgeous! I love that you're safe and secure going forward. Very nice -- stout! I like her. You can have fun in a boat like that. Enjoy!

That, ummmmm, "step" out of the pilot house looks like it could be a surprise after a drink or three (at the dock, naturally). Otherwise you have to admire the salty look of the boat. An old pea jacket, beat up Breton cap, and perhaps an eye patch would be appropriate yachting apparel.

Nice job! Enjoy!
Looks like it has a bow thruster?

Form follows function. Great boat.

You guys are making me all weepy... No, wait, aargghhh Billy, ever been to sea?

It does have some funny things like those doors, but already I rafted up to a 70' seiner and after our chin-wag I climbed over the rail, right into the wheelhouse, so it does have a use. There is a safety that clips across the opening so you get a small warning before you launch into the void. There is also a folding platform outside the starboard door so you can stand there and take the salute. There is a hand-hold in front of the house so you can sort of swing around to the forward cargo deck.

It has a fold-up swim grid to save me a few feet of moorage, a covered back deck so you can stand out of the rain and watch the 36" wheel dig a large hole, a giant top deck to keep kayaks and look down on the world with your beaker of rum, a giant Sampson post to tow various things, a crane on the front deck and a level area with tie-downs to take pallets (might make a buck hauling freight?) and store a dinghy; it actually draws 4 1/2 feet, although it has a fairly flat bottom, it has a substantial keel which is also its keel cooler. It's loud, I have ordered a muffler for her and it's very work-boat inside so it will get some nice panelling and paint and a few less bunks. It has a double bunk in the wheelhouse too, which we will keep.

It needs a heavier anchor rode, a new water heater, a newer battery charger and some new poop hose, all of which I ordered. It also needs some minor changes to the coolant pipes and a barrier/bottom job, which will probably take a week in a yard and seriously damage my wallet. No electrolysis! Maybe I should add, "yet?"

Topside pressure washing and some cosmetics, although it is never going to be shiny, I want it to look cared for, which it will be. New bedding, LED lights, better dinghy, wash the lines, new fenders...........

It does have a cheesy bow thruster, which surprised me by actually working, but installing a conventional tunnel would be hard because she is very wide and has a very stubby bow so the tunnel would be very long. I've always disdained a bow thruster so I'll see if I can do without it; it just unbolts, but I'm not making any changes right away. She seems to maneuver as well as any single although she has a lot of windage. When she is hauled for the bottom work I am going to weld an angle on the trailing edge of the rudder, even though she turns fine in her own length with some creative gear-work. She steers fine as long as she is in gear.

She spent 5 years servicing the park on the Queen Charlottes so she's seen her share of weather and seas, she has a set of flopper-stoppers which a previous owner removed as he claimed it was unnecessary, I don't know if I will hang them back up, yet.

We're gathering up all our tools and boating gear that has been gathering dust for a couple of years and we will be heading over to start the cleaning/adoption phase of a "new" boat in a day or so. Have to buy an old truck! We think we will change the name as it's not us, but we haven't got a replacement yet. Once we have decided, we will have the proper ceremony and we think we will re-christen her by smacking her with a can of Guinness, the containers being made of the same material...

No outside varnish, canvas, teak, wood windows, tarps etc. A pressure wash and a good soak with an evil non-green product should make her look a lot better. A friend of mine said it would be like polishing a turd.

I took the teak bungs and the bronze screws out of my kit this afternoon...

It also has an engine-driven fire pump and hose, which will be useful for keeping other boats from anchoring too close(!) and it has an 8 foot drop-down boarding ladder, suitable for divers and for dropping on the aft deck of boats who moor too close.

My friend said I could use the fire hose as a bow thruster. The previous owner used the fire hose to wash down his anchor chain. I'm looking forward to trying that!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom