View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
janice142
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
I bought a boat with one quart of oil, three expired flares, one of those cheap double drawer plastic things under the sink and a couple of sink stoppers. Nothing at all basically, And it never occurred to me that a boat wouldn't come with "stuff" -- if I'd have known then what I know now I'd have stripped our boat before sale and sold off the spares. Not totally, but with our 40'er went 600' of anchor line in a spool in the cockpit bilge, a spare Balmar alternator (brand new) plus goodness knows -- everything. I do regret not keeping the ships' wheel (brass) as I could have replaced it with something else. I did keep a bookcase my dad built for chartkits and are log books. And I wish I'd kept the weather station and 8-day clock. I miss the chimes.

Still, like many others the new owner got a boat with the spare parts he bought. Live and learn, eh? Oh yes, and there was even a spare shaft, because who knows when you'll need a spare, plus two extra props. We always swore the boat should have been named Redundant. But gosh, she was pretty.

This was home: (Daddy built her in the 50's (long and narrow of course, and over the nearly 50 years we owned her there were substantial alterations as is natural when you own a home for that many decades)

Enough nostalgia from me.