Florida Keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autoteacher

Vessel Name
Paradox
Vessel Make
Mainship
Hi All, Looking for advisement on Florida Keys Marinas. We used to have a sailboat and stayed on the hook and a few Keys marinas but that was years ago. We like quite, appreciate the sunset, bike rides on level bike trails and enjoy like minded cruisers. We hate most jet skiers and people that have go fast boats with out regard for others. We don't mind a good clean marina for longterm. We love our homeport at Jekyll Harbor Marina but in winter long for the warm water. Any suggestions and please share experiences.

Seeya, Sonny

@ TheOffice: May 2013

In the Keys, depth is a consideration. Our boat draws 6' and so we're limited to fewer areas there. It also helps to know if you'll have other transportation or if you'll be staying on the boat itself. And of course, budget is a consideration. Some of the marinas in Key West are wonderful but wicked expensive.

So it all mostly comes down to a question of what you're looking for.

For the best Keys boating experience a monthly mooring at Marathon cant be beat.

If you need a power hose Key West , is tops for bars and taverns.

Mallory Pier at sunset a fantastic fun ZOO!

Thanks for the reply. We draw 4 ft. We carry our bicycles and rent cars if we need one. Most of the time the crowds (zoo) as FF relates are not our interest. We are more Islamorada that Key West. We enjoy anchoring out but mooring ball does not seem to be as much fun. Our budget is in the middle. We don't care for the tourist style resorts. Does anyone know if Fiesta Key is open? What is your opinion of Marathon Boat Yard and Marina? Plantation Key? The more you know the better the choice
Thank you, Sonny

Thanks for the reply. We draw 4 ft. We carry our bicycles and rent cars if we need one. Most of the time the crowds (zoo) as FF relates are not our interest. We are more Islamorada that Key West. We enjoy anchoring out but mooring ball does not seem to be as much fun. Our budget is in the middle. We don't care for the tourist style resorts. Does anyone know if Fiesta Key is open? What is your opinion of Marathon Boat Yard and Marina? Plantation Key? The more you know the better the choice Thank you, Sonny

Drawing 4 ft you will be somewhat limited at some marinas, particularly in a Key Largo and Islamorada. We bought our boat last year in Key Largo. We draw 4 ft so we moved the boat for a short term stay at Coral Bay Marina in Islamorada. It's a working marina with a haulout yard. Nothing fancy but reasonable. Another marina in the area is Mangrove Marina. Unfortunately Islamorada isn't particularly convenient for long-term cruisers without a car. It's probably 5 miles to Winn Dixie in Key a Largo and for a West Marine, you have to go to Key a Largo or Marathon.

For convenience, Marathon is easier for a cruiser without a car. We've stayed on a mooring at Boot Key Harbor(with Dave and Honey in your marina) and we've stayed at Marathon Marina and Boat Yard several times. The Marathon Marina has made some major improvements in the past few years, and it's gotten pricier. However, You are a bike ride away from Publix, West Marine, Walgreens, etc. Whatever you decide, make a reservation quick as marinas tend to fill up quick in winter months.

Good luck.

Gina Smith
M/V Island Time
Cape Coral, Fl

Gina

We spent a week at Marathon Boatyard and Marina in 2010. We enjoyed it, it was in March the facilities were good, with a friendly group of cruisers there. Good restaurants nearby and one on site. It is not the inexpensive but I would not hesitate staying there again. There is a supermarket and other stores a nice bike ride away about 2 mi.

There are some marinas outside the main area/bite of Key West that would fit you quite well. If you really like biking, you'll love it. Read the reviews and you'll find one that fits - just stay away from downtown Key West/Mallory Square areas and the prices get reasonable especially at monthly rates.

I love Islamorada too. It's quite easy to anchor there but living needs like grocery stores will be more difficult. We stayed at Shell Key for 11 days once just to get away from it all. There are wonderful places to take a dinghy from a home base anchored or on a mooring there.

Marathon is another obvious place. It's a bit tough to get a slip there unless you've already called about reserving one - it gets pretty filled up. Being on a mooring there isn't bad. We did that for a month too once. That's a big personal taste kind of thing. I liked it for about 2-3 weeks. I told my wife that I'd have to shoot myself in the head if we had to stay for another month. I just find it a strange environment but I did love it for a couple of weeks. It's very easy there to get groceries, hardware, marine supply, and help from other cruisers. It's sort of like a city of moored and docked boats.

Hi All, Looking for advisement on Florida Keys Marinas. We used to have a sailboat and stayed on the hook and a few Keys marinas but that was years ago. We like quite, appreciate the sunset, bike rides on level bike trails and enjoy like minded cruisers. We hate most jet skiers and people that have go fast boats with out regard for others. We don't mind a good clean marina for longterm. We love our homeport at Jekyll Harbor Marina but in winter long for the warm water. Any suggestions and please share experiences.

Seeya, Sonny

@ TheOffice: May 2013

I don't know if this will help you but you may want to look at Stock Island marina village.

Years ago I stayed there and it was really nice and cheap and they welcome live aboards. I know for a time they started to get a bad rap, but I heard they cleaned the place up and put some cash into the place and added 24 hr security. It is also a deep water marina so your 4' darft would be no issue.

here is their link Stock Island Marina Village | Key West & Florida Keys Deep Water Marina

All the best.

H. Foster

Stock island is an easy bike ride to the KW bar zoo, Mallory pier and eateries.

Best tho to get home before dark , unless you have a gun carry permit, and 18 round clips.

I don't know if this will help you but you may want to look at Stock Island marina village. Years ago I stayed there and it was really nice and cheap and they welcome live aboards. I know for a time they started to get a bad rap, but I heard they cleaned the place up and put some cash into the place and added 24 hr security. It is also a deep water marina so your 4' darft would be no issue. here is their link Stock Island Marina Village | Key West & Florida Keys Deep Water Marina All the best. H. Foster

Dang, the monthly rate is $23 per foot? Plus electricity? Does that sound high to anyone else but me?

Are there any free anchorages in the keys for a boat that drafts under 3 feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Dang, the monthly rate is $23 per foot? Plus electricity? Does that sound high to anyone else but me?

Are there any free anchorages in the keys for a boat that drafts under 3 feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

A high price is relative to the area. The marinas around the center of the action in Key West can be much higher. For instance the well located A & B Marina's monthly rate is $50/ft. However, you can anchor in areas within sight of the waterfront and up in some quieter areas, but the anchorages get crowded too.

Stock island is an easy bike ride to the KW bar zoo, Mallory pier and eateries.

Best tho to get home before dark , unless you have a gun carry permit, and 18 round clips.

its not THAT bad...seedy yes. Dangerous NO.

If you want to see a sight go to the KW emergency room at 3 am of a Friday night.

we were there and my daughter had a UTI. we tried like hell to wait till morning to take her but her fever spiked and we got to see some of KW's finest moments.

Seedy yes. But my wife, my self and my 4 year old daughter had no safety problems.

its not THAT bad...seedy yes. Dangerous NO.

If you want to see a sight go to the KW emergency room at 3 am of a Friday night.

we were there and my daughter had a UTI. we tried like hell to wait till morning to take her but her fever spiked and we got to see some of KW's finest moments.

Seedy yes. But my wife, my self and my 4 year old daughter had no safety problems.

I agree speedy would be the word, and to F.F. point at one time it was better not to be in some places after dark.

However I did say they have been dumping cash into the place and they are not done cleaning the place up.

Here is a link that will give some in sight into that.

Big new plans for Stock Island - KeysNet.com

As I said. Stock Island did have a bad rap, but they are cleaning it up.

Happy cruising to all

H. Foster

I agree speedy would be the word, and to F.F. point at one time it was better not to be in some places after dark....
H. Foster

You nailed it my friend.
It's that way just about anywhere.

Between the military and vacations, I've walked all over KW over the years.
And in only a couple of occasions did I have a situations where I felt uncomfortable (as in this is going to result in a LOT of paperwork and redundant questions:rolleyes:).
Even then, it was only a couple and one was with my wife alongside.

I find that most "issues" can be avoided with just a tad of common sense, but if you happen to have a carry permit, by all means....:thumb::D).

For the HIGH spot in FL in the middle of the season , its cheap!

Anchoring out can always be done , but the question then is how do you get ashore , dump garbage , waste , get mail , and not have your dink grow legs?

I find that most "issues" can be avoided with just a tad of common sense, but if you happen to have a carry permit, by all means....:thumb::D).

I agree OD. being awere of your surrounding is always the key no matter where you are in the world.

As far as the $23 per foot and the rest. I'm just wondering how long that will last with them dumping all that cash into the place. I'm thinking by the end of 2015 or so that price will go up, but heck, doesn't everything.

Happy cruising to all.

H. Foster

I agree OD. being awere of your surrounding is always the key no matter where you are in the world.[/Quote}

Yes sir:thumb:

As far as the $23 per foot and the rest. I'm just wondering how long that will last with them dumping all that cash into the place. I'm thinking by the end of 2015 or so that price will go up, but heck, doesn't everything.

Yea buddy!
Just like any other hobby or pastime. Heck, I remember when motorcycles were cheap to my and repair. Now you can pay as much for a touring bike as you do for a small car, fuel economy can be close in both, and anymore, you need to be an electronics tech to repair them both:(

Heck, I remember when motorcycles were cheap to my and repair. Now you can pay as much for a touring bike as you do for a small car

Thats why there is a USED bike market.

My 1964 BMW R 60 US brought $5K , and will still be repairable in 10 Decades.

Heck, I remember when motorcycles were cheap to my and repair. Now you can pay as much for a touring bike as you do for a small car

Thats why there is a USED bike market.

My 1964 BMW R 60 US brought $5K , and will still be repairable in 10 Decades.

Yep.
I hardly ever by any automotive product new.
Doesn't make that much sense to me.

Key West mooring field is a good deal at $318 a month or anchor for free near christmas tree island . The turtle craw charges $6 a day for the dinghy dock.

We found a marina that suits us. Banana Bay, bay side across the street from Home Depot.
Secure, safe, clean. Big pool and hot tub, nice showers, old but kept fairly clean. Dock master Larry and Paul could not be more helpful. Florida Keys Marina at Banana Bay Resort & Marina :: Marathon, Florida Keys, Florida
Rates are $23 all inclusive. POUT at slip. Docks are fixed new teak decks. Well off the road.
WiFi is good to real good. We are going back to Jekyll next week.

We will be back asap

Sorry to hear that you won't be there when we will be...i was looking forward to swapping lies and drinking your beer.

The keys have tremendous variety. I know many who have moved their boats south and just love Marathon as a relaxing winter home. Islamorada is popular for longer stays but not very convenient to things on land. The weekend crowd goes to A & B, Key West Bight, and Conch.

Is there a reason you specified the Keys? The reason I ask is that the southwest coast offers some great quality areas at more modest prices. There is a reason the Naples and Fort Myers areas are so popular with retirees. We live in Fort Lauderdale so might be a bit shocking for an East Coaster to talk glowingly about the West Coast, but it's much different. What you're looking for is very different from Fort Lauderdale or Miami. On the east coast however you can stop short and from St. Augustine all the way down to Stuart find some relaxing areas. I'd definitely look at the west coast a bit.

City of Fort Myers Yacht Basin is one of our favorites as it's protected. Great access if you want to cut through the Okeechobee to the East coast. $13 per ft per month plus $70 liveaboard or mooring for $8 plus $50. Annual rates for slips only $9 per ft per month. It's convenient to so much.

We found a marina that suits us. Banana Bay, bay side across the street from Home Depot.
Secure, safe, clean. Big pool and hot tub, nice showers, old but kept fairly clean. Dock master Larry and Paul could not be more helpful. Florida Keys Marina at Banana Bay Resort & Marina :: Marathon, Florida Keys, Florida
Rates are $23 all inclusive. POUT at slip. Docks are fixed new teak decks. Well off the road.
WiFi is good to real good. We are going back to Jekyll next week.

We will be back asap

Glad you found a place you like Banana Bay is nice.

Back
Top Bottom