A household fridge running on solar panels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Parmenter - not sure why you feel pricing is higher in Australia? .

It was based on the simple fact that a Honda 2kva genny is around double the price here than the US, An 8KVA genset is around double the price here than there , Diesel engines similar and most anything I have tried to buy here over the last few years I have mostly sourced online and freighted in for at least a 40% saving in cost.

I figured that the same would likely be the case with the solar gear.

One question: The battery bank you use, is that just for running the stuff on board or is that propulsion power as well given that you are a hybrid vessel?

And thanks for the rest of the info you have provided, PURE GOLD :thumb:

Last edited:
Although the RV propane fridge would still be first choice with gas consumption of 20# a month , even if propane refill is $100 in Aus it would be most reliable and by far the easiest to live with.
Read post 9 and 14.
Gas aint happening as it was proven unreliable when travelling offshore PLUS I wont have gas inside anymore and that includes for cooking.

Our battery is used for hotel loads and propulsion.

Our battery is used for hotel loads
Hotel Loads???
I take it that means you have several guest at a time always opening fridge , wanting AC 24/7, using washing machine (if you have one) and not caring about leaving lights on?

A sensible, yachty background couple would therefore use a fair bit less?

and propulsion.
Given that and the bit about hotel loads, would I be safe to assume that I wouldnt need anything like the battery bank you have if just running your fridge, some lights, some ac when it is especially hot and airless and a PC for media attached to a 37 inch LED screen?

"Hotel loads" is essentially ships service - electrical needs other than propulsion.

We originally had a battery 40% (400 AH) of our current one that worked OK. I feel that somewhere around 1,000 AH at 12v (4 each 8D equivalent) should be sufficient for your application. This assumes high efficiency lighting and fridge. Note: our battery is 48v so our 1,000 AH is equal to 4,000 AH at 12v.

The quotes I was getting in a few months back were $15,000 for 8kva PLUS fitting PLUS daily fuel usage.
That was a Kubota based model from a smaller local manufacturer who I have used before when buying diesels.
I would hate to think what the price would be if I priced a Cummins/Onan , Westerbeake, Fisher Panda etc

Sure buys a lot of panels.

For a laugh I got pricing on Fischer Panda enclosed Gensets

4.8 kva is $14,000 :eek:
7.6kva is $27,000 :ermm:
12.3kva is $31,000 :facepalm:

"Hotel loads" is essentially ships service - electrical needs other than propulsion.

We originally had a battery 40% (400 AH) of our current one that worked OK. I feel that somewhere around 1,000 AH at 12v (4 each 8D equivalent) should be sufficient for your application. This assumes high efficiency lighting and fridge. Note: our battery is 48v so our 1,000 AH is equal to 4,000 AH at 12v.
No worries, I am cool with that 1000 AH bank, though I might get a rude shock on freight to Brisbane.

Seeing as you clearly know more than me and seem to have the numbers at hand and seeing as that bank is 1/4 the size of yours, I take it 1/4 of the panels as well?
Off the top of your head, how many 200 watters?

Just so I can work some rough numbers.

Our PV array is close to 6kW - 1/4 is 1.5kW or 8 each 200 watt panels. Since the panels are now so inexpensive, more are better. Mount so air can circulate under the panels for cooling.

Back
Top Bottom