My portholes - Before and after

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
Amazing what a little sand blasting and polishing can do!

Attachments

• p2052847.jpg
    p2052847.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 84
  • p2262860.jpg
    p2262860.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 97
Looks terrific. Now what are you going to do.....?

PS-- I think you can buy Brasso by the drum
smile.gif

Since the shinny part is inside I'm assuming it will stay relatively nice for a while.

I am real sorry to see those. Mine are somewhere between, and I don't think they will ever look like that. Great job!

Eric:

Beautiful job! Don't be discouraged by the guys that are razzing you about keeping them looking good. I put all polished brass faucets in my home 11 years ago. Kitchen, 3 baths, etc. I sprayed them first with a marine clear varnish and we never clean them with anything other than a wet wash cloth or towel. (No soap, cleaner, etc.) I have done the same thing to two polished brass plaques that are on the outside of my boat and am just finishing up my second year. They still look great!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 26th of February 2010 10:57:02 PM

Attachments

• img_2760.jpg
    img_2760.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 81
  • img_2759.jpg
    img_2759.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 90
Fotoman, your ports look great, tho now all shiny, I think once installed I'd let them weather - bronze looks good weathered. The trouble with lacquering, is when exposed to sea air it seems to not last too long, then starts to degrade, and then looks worse than just weathered bronze, and you have to take them right back to metal to get rid of the damaged varnish. Brass might well be different there Walt, tho it'll be interesting to see how well the boat plaques last in shiny mint condition.

Peter B wrote:Brass might well be different there Walt, tho it'll be interesting to see how well the boat plaques last in shiny mint condition.
Peter, you may well have a point but as I stated, I'm finishing up 2 years on the "outside" brass plaques. The point is to keep oxygen from attacking the polished surface.

SeaHorse II wrote:

Peter B wrote:Brass might well be different there Walt, tho it'll be interesting to see how well the boat plaques last in shiny mint condition.
Peter, you may well have a point but as I stated, I'm finishing up 2 years on the "outside" brass plaques. The point is to keep oxygen from attacking the polished surface.

Right Walt - got that, but 2 yrs is not that long in the life of a boat - goes all to damn fast between antifouls, which I do every 2 yrs, and it cames around farrrrr to fast, as I suspect you would agree.* I'm basing this on how disappointed I was at how long my nice shiney, (varnished over brass), time and tide clock, barometer, and ships bell lasted, (or rather, did not last), before going all yucky looking as the varnish broke down - and they were all inside, so not exposed to 'raw' sea air, as it were.

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 28th of February 2010 05:07:41 AM

Peter B wrote:
I'm basing this on how disappointed I was at how long my nice shiney, (varnished over brass), time and tide clock, barometer, and ships bell lasted, (or rather, did not last),
I can't speak to your experience, only my own. As previously stated, the polished brass fixtures in my home are finishing up 11 years and still look great. Although not inside a boat...I do live in a house overlooking the water so the environmental conditions are not so far apart.

Back
Top Bottom