Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #28
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Sounds like Boat US is much better deal for boat owner... correct??
Not really...they don't have the National, franchise, captain all making sure the other is taking the best care of the customer...Sea Tow is a model of checks and balances.

A good example in my area...

Boat US Guys complain that Sea Tow Guys don't want to go out and assist customers that are in trouble...they think that Sea Tow while dispatching their boats but still trying to get the boat owner to try a few thing to get running again is shirking their responsibility...is it? If Sea Tow talks you through getting your boat running again before their boat gets there..everyone goes away happy. If you have to wait for the boat US Boat that's getting paid by the hour from national HQ...who wins there? Behind the scenes is a little complicated and personality driven so I am speaking in a gross generality frame.

I'm not saying all of it applies to every franchise..but the Sea Tow model more closely resembles real insurance...pockets membership money if not needed, helps you avoid claims though service and education (like Boat US)..and give good service when really needed. Boat US franchises only make monety when their boats are underway so it's really in their best interest if you DO break down.

Hey there's greats and pirates on both side in some areas..most are just good small businessmen and decent captains all trying to do a good job...so both are only as good as the guy who comes out to help.

I think both organizations are grssly misunderstood by the average boater as well as the difference between assistance and salvage...both companies try to explain it on their web sites for those that are interested.

In the long run...between both companies and the USCG...in some areas...if you get into trouble...you are fortunate that there's that many resources headed your way!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote