Solo Circumnavigation attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug

Vessel Name
Timeless
Vessel Make
CHB 34
In a sail boat, not a trawler but a very interesting blog just the same. Glenn Wakefield is in day 70 of a solo circumnavigation attempt originating in Victoria, BC.

Going Solo

I remember hearing that more people have "walked in space" than have sailed around the earth. Hope all goes well for him!

I remember hearing that more people have "walked in space" than have sailed around the earth. Hope all goes well for him!

most likely not, according to wikipedia, 536.

Personally I have 10 friends who have circumnavigated so I would think the number is higher..

The estimate I read somewhere is 200/300 boats per year

HOLLYWOOD

most likely not, according to wikipedia, 536.

Personally I have 10 friends who have circumnavigated so I would think the number is higher..

The estimate I read somewhere is 200/300 boats per year

HOLLYWOOD

Agree...many statistics are accurate and many aren't....

Depends on who's collecting and source of reporting....

Agree...many statistics are accurate and many aren't....

Depends on who's collecting and source of reporting....

I'd have to agree with that, but I think it was my wife's second cousins sisters boyfriend who's half sister explained it differently. Ahhhh, life on the Internet :D

You forgot "singlehanded, non stop". Then it is a true statement. Vendee Globe was using that statistic last race.

You forgot "singlehanded, non stop". Then it is a true statement. Vendee Globe was using that statistic last race.

What can I say...I'm downslope of 50 now so things are starting to slip ;)

Single handed, non stop, circumnavigation....If you ain't the first or gonna be the fastest or the smallest or the biggest (what other records would there be that a sane man would go for)...then what a waste to go all that way and not stop and smell the roses.

The guy has got to really like being alone, amazing that he lost a boat in 2008 after 200+ days at sea and is going for it again.
I do like to cross oceans on boats.. but the idea is to get to places that you get to enjoy.
HOLLYWOOD

When we were out, we found there are two types of people on the oceans; The travelers and the sailors. The travelers are using the boat as a means to get to where they want to go and the sailors love to sail and hate being in port. We are in the travelers group. :)

When we were out, we found there are two types of people on the oceans; The travelers and the sailors. The travelers are using the boat as a means to get to where they want to go and the sailors love to sail and hate being in port. We are in the travelers group. :)

Where this guy is planning on doing most of his sailing...he enjoys survival more than just "sailing"....:D

Where this guy is planning on doing most of his sailing...he enjoys survival more than just "sailing"....:D

You're right. When we crossed the southern Indian Ocean from Australia to Africa, it was the only time I ever heard Lena say, "If I could get a helicopter to get me off this boat I would do it". We referred to it as the FIO (F...ing Indian Ocean). It's not the friendliest sailing in the world.

Back
Top Bottom