liveaboard new to this forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeremy, glad to hear someone else doing the same as me up north here. Did you go to school to obtain the 1600 ton license? How did you go about getting the master of tow. I'd move my boat and be your neighbor to have a job onboard a tug. We have a family owned tool and die shop here. My father actually lives aboard a 46 Ft ferry conversion just alittle bit upriver then me. Post photos of your boat. What are you gonna do for heat keep running electric? Any ice??

Hello Dave K sea has been on the slide for along time . They got to big to fast All my friends saw the writing on the wall and bailed.

Hey Jacob Yes i went to school at Mass Maritime but i put alot of sea time into my 1600ton and master of towing . We use propane and yes we have alot of ice so thick we walk across to town.*

Salty76 do you bubble in the winter or let your boat freeze in?

We have three ice eaters around the boat . I would not like any ice*around my hull.
Did you get your heater put in ?

Yea I did, best move I've made. Nice and warm. I run three bubblers aswell. Post photos of ur boat during the winter I'd love to see!!

Man, you picked a heck of a year to start living aboard I guess! It's been a record winter down here, so I'm sure it's been tough up there. Are you still peeling your decks up?

yes, well the wood is all up.. i havnt been working on it much in the last few weeks its been really cold. now i need to pull up the adheasive and drill out all the screw holes and inject them with west system. sand and call it a day.. atleas the boats warm now!

Well all i have is summer pictures in the computer. I went to Florida two weeks ago and they robbed us. Camera and Tv's and some other stuff stolen . They hit every boat with shrink wrap on . Just put in a great alarm system just a little to late .

Damn... Sorry to hear man. Fin scumbags

I hate a theif!
You say you were in Florida? Were you at the Miami Boat Show? I was down there about the same time sounds like. Went down on the 6th, went to Key West for a few days, then to the boat show, then drove over to the west coast to Marco, Naples, Ft Myers, etc. I love south Florida!

slaty, you shrinkwrap? what do you use for heat. i dont think im going to wrap next winter

We have three ice eaters around the boat . I would not like any ice around my hull.

WHY?

I lived aboard for almost 23 years in the NYC area and never had the slighest problem with icing in.

The bubblers , even with a foam cored hull which is usually the quietest the air bubbles made the boat sound like a fish tank inside.

Harm from ice was common on wood boats as the first freeze would freeze the water , all the way into the cotton .

Any movement of the boat would start the cotton , but the ice would support the boat , till the thaw.

Hassles with liveaboards would come from thru hulls not deep enough , so the sink or toilet would stop.

The best fun was one year at the Worlds Fair Marina , when a fellow with a fine Huckins got a young babe that decided the boat was too spartan.

She chose nice pink toilet paper , which created a nice pink pile next to the boats head discharge which was above the WL a foot or so.

FF

3 ice eaters Why ? The ice can get so thick you can walk across it . We are in a cove with alot of freshwater . With you guys in the city you never get ice like we get. I have seen big ice come in and move a whole set of slips in a marina.

i would wrap the boat if it was me. You want to keep the ice off of it plus its alot warmer with the wrap on. Your heating bill will be alot cheaper .

Did the WFM , 45 ft Trimiran "CHAOS" in 69 and 70.

After a 6 year "vacation" (furlough , so sailed the Carib , and started a boat building operation), went to City Island for summers and New Rochelle in winter.

Back
Top Bottom