View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
Capt Kangeroo

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Its a hard question to answer because not all boats are created equal. For example, and with regard to damage caused by leaks only, many marine traders and apparently some Albins (& probably others) have deck cores made of large solid teak scraps embedded in very thick resin, then they screw down the teak over this. Essentially they put down a teak deck over a very thick reinforced fiberglass deck. Whether this was a strategic design or not, the net effect of this construction is that the teak can leak like a sieve yet cause no damage below it. I suppose it could effect a piece of the embedded teak directly under a leak but as these embedded pieces are separated by pure resin, only that small piece would ever be effected.

A good friend has an MT constructed this way and although his teak decks are a wreck & nearly every piece of wood on his boat needs attention, his decks are as solid as a rock. Another MT I am intimately aware of has had its teak decks insanely pressure washered until there was nearly nothing left yet the boat interior remains dry and damage free.

I hate wood on "my boats" but in no way would I call it an automatic deal breaker if I was shopping....... it all depends.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote