Engine temps 6v92 detroit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miss Donna

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Miss Donna
Vessel Make
Chris craft constellation
I am getting temp variations of over 20 degrees form one side of my engine to the other. Do I need to replace thermostat? Or is it possibly something else?

Temperature of what? How are you measuring it?

I am shooting the bottom elbow of the thermostat bowl. 6v92's have a thermostat for each side.

Swop the thermostats and see if the problem moves from side to side.

Only cost a couple of gaskets.

The DANGER with any DD is running to hot as the heads can crack if overheated.

Pat, are both engines doing it ? did you make Mobile ?

Morning Gerald, the other engine also has a variance if 10 degrees or so but the high is around 185.

We are going to dog river today, it's Donna's b-day so we will slop it up in mobile.

His question is valid. Direct contact temperature is usually the most accurate methodology. Just the emissivity differences of paint could make a ten degree difference side to side.

The company I work for does not allow IR thermometers for temperature indication by their QA manual due to the inherent operator issues.

What is not mentioned is if this a change or a trend in temperature. That is more valuable than a singular data point.

Last edited:
Valid points all. Best I can do with my limited mech knowledge while running on the Tombigbee river. I will have access to a mechanic soon. Lets try this, how hot should the oil pan be?

The company I work for does not allow IR thermometers for temperature indication by their QA manual due to the inherent operator issues.

In the far North does an IR gun even work at -40? Enjoy the next 3 months and pack the fur lined warmers.

Your engine operating manual will give the temperature limits. The oil pan surface temperature may be several degrees lower than the actual oil temperature during operation.

I believe 185 as the high point is within normal range especially if your RPM's are at mid range like the 1400 you said you were running. My temp with an IR gun can vary but like another poster said look for changes to be your best guide.

We are provisioned up and heading out at 5:45am tomorrow hopefully will make Mobile before the winds pick up mid day Tuesday in the 20knot range appreciate Donna putting in the anchorages with the river dropping pretty quickly its nice to know where there is some depth.

There were a bunch of boats from 30 to 100 feet trying to lock thru Demopolis first thing this morning quite the chaos from what I could hear on the radio

We made it Gerald. However as soon as we hit mobile bay I had a mutiny. Lets hope a couple days off will ease her tension.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom