Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes Nimble1,
Don't know if I can swallow the 35 knot claim though :ermm:. however I wish you had taken more pictures. Don't know much about Herreshoff but the man even made an ugly anchor beautiful. Everything his name is associated with is beautiful and I'm sure just as functional. Thanks for sharing. And it's hard not to notice how low his Stilletto is.

FF if I want to go 3 or 4000 miles I'll take an airplane. But your comment about the Bayliner is a good point.

Eric, like yourself I questioned the speed figure but the fine bow entry and fairly narrow beam plus the 75 hp Yanmar will probably push it close to that. I don't really think it is very heavy either.

Cape Ross was converted by a friend of mine.

"...complies with international standards as set out in STCW - 95 regulations for newly constructed vessels ..."

?? STCW construction standards ??

The “Coastal Queen”.

The book “The Inside Passage” was written about her. She was built in 1928 in Maryland. Her construction is fir planks over white oak frames. She was commissioned as an “oyster buyboat” and eventually converted to a private yacht.

She makes the trip up and down the ICW every year. I saw her in Ft. Lauderdale last March and again a couple of days ago in transit in Myrtle Beach. A true classic. KJ

1429-albums131-picture852.jpg

1429-albums131-picture853.jpg

the “coastal queen”.

The book “the inside passage” was written about her. She was built in 1928 in maryland. Her construction is fir planks over white oak frames. She was commissioned as an “oyster buyboat” and eventually converted to a private yacht.

She makes the trip up and down the icw every year. I saw her in ft. Lauderdale last march and again a couple of days ago in transit in myrtle beach. A true classic. Kj

1429-albums131-picture852.jpg

1429-albums131-picture853.jpg

Majestic!!!! ;)

This boat has annual maintenance done here in Port Townsend..
A really beautiful woodie...

" Paspatoo "

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• paspatoo.jpg
    paspatoo.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 260
Some of these boats are absolutely beautiful. I recently posted about ferrocement in another thread. This particular ferrocement trawler caught my eye... I had the picture saved on my hard drive and can't recall where I found it. It is one of the few ferrocement trawlers (perhaps the only one I have ever seen) that actually looks nice. I love the FD hull.

Attachments

• 201082L.jpg
    201082L.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
I saw this older vessel while we out cruising last weekend. It is locally built with a wooden hull and looked to be in very good condition.

-Mike

Attachments

• image0029.jpg
    image0029.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 213
Mike thanks for posting I REALLY like that boat.

Mike thanks for posting I REALLY like that boat.

No problem, there are quite a few more 'individual' boats like this. I will make an effort to get more photos to show you guys what we have on this side of the planet.

-Mike

Another interesting boat spotted last weekend. The brass cowl vents really looked impressive. Looked like quite a bit of time was spent polishing before leaving port.

-Mike

Attachments

• IMG_6019.jpg
    IMG_6019.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_6018.jpg
    IMG_6018.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 198

Attachments

• P1030769.JPG
    P1030769.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 188
  • P1030771.JPG
    P1030771.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 177
  • P1030772.JPG
    P1030772.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 165
Impressive/interesting tech advance - TY for posting. :thumb:

I need to contemplate!! :whistling: :popcorn:

Interesting Nimble and in 3' seas it should be fine.

But I think I'd fear for my life in 12 seas.

And it's no swan.

I think I'd prefer a boat.

But I love interesting boats so thanks for posting.

Conrad, I see you are absolutely correct, it's clear in this angle. I wonder what he does for a main, maybe only uses a jib downwind?

That's a Lancer, probably a 44', built in California in the 1980's. Lancer Yachts

Lancer was a company started by Dick Valdez after he sold Columbia Yachts. They built an extensive line of motorsailers, sailing cruisers and one notable racer/cruiser designed by Bill Lee. The rest were all designed by a guy named Herb David, who later did some big trawler yachts in Taiwan. The motorsailers were wide and flat-bottomed, often with big twin diesels, to power at 12mph or so. The flying bridge versions had a boomless main that sheeted to the backstays.

Perhaps a multihull version might have looked like this boomless mast-aft powersailer

Attachments

• HK40-catamaran-final-product-32b, 800ps.jpg
    HK40-catamaran-final-product-32b, 800ps.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 149
  • HK40-catamaran-final-product-14b, 800ps.jpg
    HK40-catamaran-final-product-14b, 800ps.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 155
  • HK under sail, 800ps.jpg
    HK under sail, 800ps.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 137
Great addition, Nimble. She looks pretty weight sensitive though.

Bill Garden design

This one has been for sale for a while as well.

58 Philbrooks 1973 Outside Victoria, Victoria

Two get home drives. Apparently this is for the truly anxious (or maybe it's for people with more than one primary dwelling?).

Attachments

• 35284150_614.jpg
    35284150_614.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 197
  • 35284219_934.jpg
    35284219_934.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 167
This one has been for sale for a while as well.

58 Philbrooks 1973 Outside Victoria, Victoria

Two get home drives. Apparently this is for the truly anxious (or maybe it's for people with more than one primary dwelling?).

One of the auxiliary drives is a prop on the aft end of the rudder, which also gives it a kind of stern thruster I suppose. And phenomenal maneuverability at a dock.

Northern Spy, those are both great boats. Interesting boats. And stunning that the second is a 73 build and one owner!

What a gorgeous boat http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012/Norseman-Gatsby-45-2648320/Osaka/Japanthis is...

Must be a story for it to be lying in Osaka. Perhaps the owner picked it up at the Norseman Yard and didn't get very far? Based on what must have been spent to build this boat, it must be a sad story.

I'm always curious why many of these motorsailers don't carry more tankage. 300gallon of fuel doesn't seem like much for a passagemaker like this... Or for an engine that large.

Must be a story for it to be lying in Osaka. Perhaps the owner picked it up at the Norseman Yard and didn't get very far?

Or perhaps the owner lives near Osaka and wants to purchase something else?

It is a beauty and Japan would be as good a place as any to cruise IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom