Ghost lettering...boat name change.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eseyoung

Moving along with my projects next is the removal name and installation of her new name. i have the old vinyl and sticky goo off but there is BIG time ghost lettering. I have tried to deal with it in a few ways...first i used some rubbing compound. That made it nice, smooth and clean (gives me hope for the rest of the boat). Next i tried some 1000 grit tehn i went for the big guns...500 grit. Yet the ghost is still haunting me.

this is not a case of having clean, non-oxidized gelcoat under the stickers... the area under the old vinyl is yellowed. So what are my options?

I am not sure if i want to sand anymore...i think it would make a bigger mess???

how about getting a sheet of white vehicle wrap installed on the stern? anyone done this?

any other ideas???

I just removed the big vinyl from the FB and Stern of the boat. It covered up ghost of the past. I removed those, sanded until smooth, after sanding the FB needed new gel coat to bring her back. I had this applied professionally. Cost new gel coat it might be just a bit more than a big wrap. The wrap may not look as good either. That's why I removed it to start over when making a name change. You could try to get a gel coat match and roll it on several layers knowing your going to sanding down to a flat surface. You wouldn't be out much other than time.

The sun caused the damage and the sun will fix it - stick your new name where you want it and be patient.

You have done all you can. In about 6 years, after 2 Bombay's and tonic it won't matter.......

You can paint. It's cheap, easy and if done correctly it will look like new.

I had a similar problem with the old boat many years ago. Sun has a way of changing gel coat. Paint is the answer. If you paint the entire transom and the color is fairly close you will never see the difference. Painting with a roller and tipping with a brush can produce sprayed results that can not be distinguished with a couple of feet of distance. Cost is insignificant.

The sun caused the damage and the sun will fix it - stick your new name where you want it and be patient.

This is the best advice. I had the same issue. I had it professionally cleaned up...ie wet sanded and compounded. That is pretty much all you can do unless you paint it.

Back
Top Bottom