Sirius XM antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
Has anyone here mounted the antenna on the flybridge where it would recieve the signal through the canvas? Did it work ok?
Thanks!

Thanks for the good news, one project simplified!

With Sirius/XM, make sure you have them mail you a bill vice give them a credit card- their contract auto renews at current rates, and it can be quite the eye-opener! Last time they wanted to renew us at $200!

A quick phone call to the New York customer service, and I was renewed at $25 for 6 months. I do this on all my accounts (boat and 2 cars).

Has anyone here mounted the antenna on the flybridge where it would recieve the signal through the canvas? Did it work ok?
Thanks!

Which antenna are you using? I have a home use and a car use one. Is marine different?

I have a sirius xm radio which I use in my truck, last year I bought and extra mounting kit that came with a car type antenna. I just placed the antenna on the "dash" as far forward as the widows would let it go so it was "shooting" up through the fwd windows. Most of the time this worked fine, but, maybe 30% of the time the reception was blocked, I guess by the saloon roof. So in view of the answers above I will first just move the existing car antenna up on the flybridge, probably lay it on the dash near the windscreen if it works ok fine if not I may try something like this "marine" model.
Amazon.com: Shakespeare SRA-25 Ultra Low Profile Sirius Marine Antenna: Sports & Outdoors
or similar.

I bought one of these and it worked GREAT, much better that a car style antenna. Bimini canvas? Like it wasn't even there.

SS1111-00.jpg

I've got news for ya, dumdum.Anyone who is 40 years old and flipping burgers for minimum wage is getting paid what they are WORTH, and they'd be on public assistance ANYWAY.

That project is done, and the antenna is working fine. I was able to fit it right up against the top canvas so there is only the one cloth layer between it and the sky. No tubing, zippers, etc. no matter which direction the boat is traveling. The final test will be out on a cruise but I think it will be fine. If not I will post.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Only one caution about Sirius under a bimini on the bridge. Watch out where the wife puts the metal coffee thermos. Ours starting breaking up until I looked over at the antenna and moved it.

Tom

Was that decaff or regular?

Regular. Decaf has no effect.

Back
Top Bottom