Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #70
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
Art, Great story.

Just as a thought, how do you think your Tolly would of done IYOP, if your speed was about 5 or 6 knots or even lower than that? Do you think she would of listed even more and to what drgee if so?

I do not know that much about Tolly and the way they handle, so I would like to learn somethings about them.

I agree 100% that most vessels can take more than passengers can handle.

Thanks

Happy cruising.

H. Foster
H, my friend...

IMO: For most smallish boats (34’ Tolly included) listing/rolling at very slow speeds would be more pronounced in similarly confusing beam sea conditions as I encountered that day (i.e. handling in general is harder when going too slow). There is a certain amount of vertical stability gained by increased speed via hull momentum through water as well as minimally by the twin’s higher rpm counter rotation props. Also, faster speed (faster to a certain diminishing degree) enables experienced pilot to efficiently maneuver the boat in quick reaction to changing actions of the confused waves / rollers. In relatively small, fairly agile cruisers such as our twin screw, 34’, 21K gross Tolly interaction with some wave patterns require not only changed rudder positions but also fast alterations of one or both throttle positions.

It Can Be Fun!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote