Looked at a boat and have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Art, Great story.

Just as a thought, how do you think your Tolly would of done IYOP, if your speed was about 5 or 6 knots or even lower than that? Do you think she would of listed even more and to what drgee if so?

I do not know that much about Tolly and the way they handle, so I would like to learn somethings about them.

I agree 100% that most vessels can take more than passengers can handle.

Thanks

Happy cruising.

H. Foster

Last edited:
RT.

Don't know on the Capt Crunch. But I do know It has happen to me with Fruit Loops. :thumb:

Art, Great story.

Just as a thought, how do you think your Tolly would of done IYOP, if your speed was about 5 or 6 knots or even lower than that? Do you think she would of listed even more and to what drgee if so?

I do not know that much about Tolly and the way they handle, so I would like to learn somethings about them.

Thanks

Happy cruising.

H. Foster

Why would you power down in those conditions?

RT, et al; believe the cereal was bran flakes.

Beach Bum.

I'm not saying that, what I am asking if he was at a lower speed what does he think the effect would have been on his vessel in his opinon.

I don't know diddly squat about stability but can say my planing hull flops around like a dying fish in 2 foot short duration choppy waves at 6-7 knots. Kick it in the butt and life is good at 15-20 knots though :speedboat:

I'm not a fan of either spilled cereal or scotch Mark.

Art, Great story.

Thanks

Happy cruising.

H. Foster

H, my friend...

IMO: For most smallish boats (34’ Tolly included) listing/rolling at very slow speeds would be more pronounced in similarly confusing beam sea conditions as I encountered that day (i.e. handling in general is harder when going too slow). There is a certain amount of vertical stability gained by increased speed via hull momentum through water as well as minimally by the twin’s higher rpm counter rotation props. Also, faster speed (faster to a certain diminishing degree) enables experienced pilot to efficiently maneuver the boat in quick reaction to changing actions of the confused waves / rollers. In relatively small, fairly agile cruisers such as our twin screw, 34’, 21K gross Tolly interaction with some wave patterns require not only changed rudder positions but also fast alterations of one or both throttle positions.

It Can Be Fun! :speed boat:

Thanks Art.

After reading your story about that day, I simply wonder how the Tolly would handle in rougher seas like you were in at lower speeds. I did feel, what you replied would be the case, but I was not 100 % sure due to the fact, different vessels will handle differently even thou they of the same hull type and so forth.

From convos with you on Tolly's in the past, I am starting to see why you like it! :thumb:

Thanks my friend for your input.

Happy cruising to you and yours.

H. Foster

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom