East side of Pine Island Fl.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon

Vessel Name
Isle of Skye
Vessel Make
Bruckmann trawler
Does anyone have up to date info on the Matlacha pass, east of Pine Island as far as depths are concerned - the chart is a little confusing. I want to go from Cape Coral north bound.
I draw 4 ft, and would go on a rising tide but there look to be some really thin spots.
Jon

Jon, If you are referring to the ICW channel through that area, we transited not very long ago with a 6 foot draft and did not have to wait for tides. Chuck

Jon, in Jan 2000 I cruised up the Matlacha Pass from the ICW as far as the bridge, we anchored on the south east side of the bridge and returned south to the ICW the next day.
this was in a GB 36, 4' draft. We bumped bottom a couple of times but were able to keep moving on. I don't know how depths are North of the bridge.
We are in Sarasota heading South on Sunday I'll check with you next week, say hi to Candice and JB for us.
Steve

Chuck - the East side of Pine Island.
Steve - thanks - my sister and brother-in-law are coming at the weekend, and the Matlacha is a fall back in case we get delayed going down to the Everglades.
Jon

I spent the last 9 years in the Punta Gorda...Charlotte Harbor area.... and frankly, I would not be inclined at all to take the channel on the east side of Pine Island.* Your best bet is to stick to the GICW to the west of Pine Island...depths are good there and tide is not a consideration.* I would not consider the east side a "shortcut" and there is a bridge at Pine Island road from the mainland...and the opening schedule is ??

If the winds are running from the north....there is a good anchorage at the south end of Pine Island by St James City....

-- Edited by JAT on Friday 19th of February 2010 07:06:12 PM

Got to go with JAT with this. The east side of Pine Island is very skinny water. I'd be nervous over there with an outboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom