What have you done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I didn't realize that this thread was a treatise on everything that we did to our boats! Keeping to the dictates that the OP suggested ("can't believe others hadn't thought of it..") I only listed a new salon hatch. There were other improvements, however, that included:

SeaHorse, that was the original intent, but it is good to hear what everyone has done to gleen a few ideas that I may not have thought of. The simple quick cheap mods where you get the most bang for the buck are the best though.

After reading about all the fun and hard work those like Hollywood and Koliver have done on older vessels and Walt and Don on newer, one theme comes out:

There is a lot of knowledge on TF.

So my list is concise, lots of trips to the cookie jar. Newbies beware.

markpierce, OK, I'll bite! Why the cannon? I know you're dying to tell us. By the way, I like it. George

Cannon envy. When Giggitoni shot off his cannon, I said to myself "I want one."

img_188609_0_63d1f16eb319c56b506eec057f52245d.jpg

Cannon envy. When Giggitoni shot off his cannon, I said to myself "I want one."

Same reasoning we used in deciding to upgrade to Kahlenburgs. Mark sounded his and we decided "We want one too." But I now admit to cannon envy and the admiral has it worse than I.

I really gotta stop boating with Mark :blush: :D

Walt the avatar really does describe our boating philosophy. Perhaps I should hire out the detailing to free up time for projects? :)

[Walt said:
Well, I didn't realize that this thread was a treatise on everything that we did to our boats! Keeping to the dictates that the OP suggested ("can't believe others hadn't thought of it..") I only listed a new salon hatch. There were other improvements, however, that included:]

Walt
Let me know how better did the change on your anchor rod improved the anchoring operation and safety. I am curious because I am, now not very convinced fan, of 100% chain.

Thanks

Portuguese

Walt the avatar really does describe our boating philosophy. Perhaps I should hire out the detailing to free up time for projects? :)
I sure hope you didn't take my remarks as a slam! "Brevity is the Soul of Wit" and your avatar is much more illustrative than mere words. :angel:=================>:whistling:

Never dream of it Walt :thumb: I'm a big fan of your wit :thumb:

And I honestly am considering hiring out the detail work. Can't lie to you though, I probably won't use the extra time for boat projects :whistling:

[Walt
Let me know how better did the change on your anchor rod improved the anchoring operation and safety. I am curious because I am, now not very convinced fan, of 100% chain.
In my case, when I bought the boat, it came with an all chain rode. The chain turned out to be the wrong size for my windlass and was too heavy for my bow. (The boat did not recover as fast as I would like when coming off a wave.) I removed the old chain, bought 20 feet of 3/8 BBB and added 160 feet of nylon. The bow recovers much faster now and given where I boat & hardly ever anchor any more, I'm much happier!

Your boat and circumstances are much different than mine, however, and although I have always used a combination rode, I'd probably opt for an all chain rode on a vessel such as yours. I must say that when I was driving a 54' sport fisher years ago, it had a combination rode that was quite successful! The same success was experienced with my 48 Offshore.

There's no doubt in my mind that all chain is superior to a combination rode, it is but I don't think it's that much more superior. There's certainly advantages to both. (example) I never needed a bridle when anchoring with "combination." Cost of the "combo"rode was a lot less than all chain.

& I've had other boats )42 & a 38footer that had all chain.

When I set the anchor with "all chain" on those boats, I slept a lot better! :thumb:

"You pay your money and you take your chances."

Last edited:
Swim Much - Why Yes We Do! - A LOT... Thank You!! :dance:

I Constructed 6' Swim Ladder with 1" Knotted Pull Line - Easy Peezie Boarding :speed boat:

Attachments

• Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 181
One thing that falls neatly into the OP intent;

The round port in the aft cabin door provided only limited visibility and at some point I decided looked stupid too. So I cut out most but not all (3/8") of the plywood in the upper section of the door, cut out a Lexan piece to fit and bedded it in w black Sikaflex. The boat looks much better and visibility is far better. I can see that boat coming up close on the port side now. But the biggest improvement was how nice the rectangular window looks from aft. Just my opinion but it's just my boat.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 131 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 131 copy.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 163
  • STH71539 copy 2.jpg
    STH71539 copy 2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Good call, Eric. :thumb:

One thing that falls neatly into the OP intent;

The round port in the aft cabin door provided only limited visibility and at some point I decided looked stupid too. So I cut out most but not all (3/8") of the plywood in the upper section of the door, cut out a Lexan piece to fit and bedded it in w black Sikaflex. The boat looks much better and visibility is far better. I can see that boat coming up close on the port side now. But the biggest improvement was how nice the rectangular window looks from aft. Just my opinion but it's just my boat.

My opinion too - Looks much better! :thumb:

-Usual haulout last spring including full hull wax & prop off
-full varnish of almost all wood-ran out of weather-had to use the boat a bit.
-replaced smashed windows and repaired wood frame after a bowspritted sailboat took umbrage to our boat. Unfortunately and fortunately a fellow traveller in our small group of three. No one hurt but we were a bit excited afterwards which a couple beers took care of. ALL July and one week June gone. Revarnishing took care of the windows varnish also.
-Now I'm slowly putting boat to bed for winter including oil chg, antifreeze everything and put on cover.
Some shots follow
-bought new VHF but it will have to wait for spring

Attachments

• IMG_5506.jpg
    IMG_5506.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5511.jpg
    IMG_5511.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_5530.jpg
    IMG_5530.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMGP0890.jpg
    IMGP0890.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_5531.jpg
    IMG_5531.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_5547.jpg
    IMG_5547.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5551.jpg
    IMG_5551.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 171
But the biggest improvement was how nice the rectangular window looks from aft.[/QUOTE]:iagree:Eric, It looks great!

This has been a wonderful thread to follow! Great to see all the improvements--inspirational!

My boat spent many months on the hard and under the knife to get her to like new status. This was everything completed over the course of a year during her restoration. I'm only now beginning to enjoy the boat.

- Volvo Penta pulled to replace oil pan; engine painted.
- 5000 BTU marine A/C unit installed
- Shore power and service panel added
- Trumpet Horn
- Anchor light
- Two new bilge pumps added plus an emergency manual pump
- Engine room and interior painted
- Canvas bimini added and new v-berth cushions
- Stainless steel rub rails port and starboard
- Swim ladder installed
- New prop to bring WOT to Volvo specs; cutless bearing replaced
- Wheel house windows pulled, repaired, and reinstalled/resealed
- Several thru-hulls were replaced and a transducer installed
- Bottom soda blasted and painted
- Interior woodwork was refinished
- Sound proofing added to hatches
- DC wiring cleaned-up; new service panel
- Battery charger
- VHF radio and antenna
- Exterior of wheelhouse painted
- New Volvo instrument panel (don't ask what I paid for it).

I also had a lot of fiberglass work done to repair crazing and fill a stack hole after removing a pellet stove.

Attachments

• van der Kaay 9.18 (1).jpg
    van der Kaay 9.18 (1).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 156
  • van der Kaay 9.18 (9).jpg
    van der Kaay 9.18 (9).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 158
  • van der Kaay 9.18 (4).jpg
    van der Kaay 9.18 (4).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 149
  • van der Kaay 2. 8 . 13 (9).jpg
    van der Kaay 2. 8 . 13 (9).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Walt

Thanks a lot. There are few issues in a boat that don't let you sleep until you decide for one option and see the results. Anchor rod is one of them.

Thanks

C lectric,
I didn't know ramming was a modern day occurrence. That sailboat looks dangerous. It's hard enough to keep our boats up w/o being rammed.
Could have been worse I suppose. Let's see a picture of the whole boat. Don't think we ever have.

Vashon Trawler,
Good work and progress. Why did you remove the pellet stove, how big was it and did it work? Not much need for a stove in Fl I spoze. I like your new avatar however I think all boat picture avatars should have the boat directed toward the post not leading one's eye away and out of the post. Something my art teacher pointed out to me. For me it was awhile before I figured out how to rotate the picture.

Thanks guys for the approval on my door window.

Last edited:
Vashon Trawler,
Good work and progress. Why did you remove the pellet stove, how big was it and did it work? Not much need for a stove in Fl I spoze. I like your new avatar however I think all boat picture avatars should have the boat directed toward the post not leading one's eye away and out of the post. Something my art teacher pointed out to me. For me it was awhile before I figured out how to rotate the picture.

Thank you. Simply too warm in Florida for two heaters. I already have a heater core/blower style heater (great for keeping warm while underway); but the pellet stove would get no use down here--wife and I just bundle up while at anchor if cold. The stove worked just fine but took up valuable space, which will be used for a cabinet.

I still have the pellet stove and vent--not really sure what to do with it. I can't even give it away in Florida!

Great point about the photo--you are right. I should take a better one following your advice.

Here are some photos of the stove and vent before and after removal. Interior was cleaned and painted with Pettit Shipendec glosswhite. The stove left lots of holes that required fiberglass work.

Note the PO used a dryer vent hose! :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_1761.jpg
    100_1761.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I just want to reply to this thread so it will pop up on my recents. I've done not too much really good, but I'm happy to have done some average things like...
rehab my windlass several times.
install my GPS and especially my transducer.
installed spin-on fuel filters.
Fixed a leaky window and wood. Poorly, so need to re-do.

Thanks for all your pictures. I have so many ideas now.

Here's a little "get home" safety feature I place on each cabin cruiser boat I ever own...

“Fail Safe” new/independent 27 starter/deep-cycle combo battery, never connected outside its own batt box. With low amp charger inside box that functions when AC is on (can be turned off too). Always fully charged as well as distilled water kept at top level.

Just in case! :thumb: :dance:

Attachments

• TO - Spare Battery 2 amp chg 100_0412.jpg
    TO - Spare Battery 2 amp chg 100_0412.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
One of the last things we have done is to add davits to carry the dingy, kayak, and solar panels. It has been a great addition and was well worth the money.

Also just put on seven coats of Cetol. It was alot of work, but again I think well worth the effort.

DSCN6509.jpg

DSCN6519.jpg

Back
Top Bottom