Looking for a good shore power cord protective sleeve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hi all,
I'm looking for a good shore power cord "cover".
The one I bought at west marine only lasted about a year.
The sun deteriorated it to the point that it just fell apart.
My power cord is old and dirty and I don't want to take the time to clean it off (I've tried).
I saw a heavy duty yellow one once. Looked like it was made out of a fire hose type of material.
Any thoughts?
Taras

Perhaps it is time to buy a new cord.

Your cord may be fine , just chop off a foot on either end and see if the wires are black with corrosion or nice clean copper.

HUBBEL seems to make the best ends and the exterior boot is replaceable.

The best is not the cheapest , but is universal for cruising most power poles.

I suggest they should start making these cords in black to start with.

I suggest they should start making these cords in black to start with.

If they were black how could they charge such inflated prices

Hollywood :rofl:

How about splitting the proper length garden hose along its length & running your dock cord in that? You get to pick white, black or red & the price and time to set this up in minimal. Keeps the UV and dirt off your cord, too!

Marinco is not Hubbel.

Every few years VS almost forever , you choose.

I just went to commercial electrical shop and purchased a black wire and place marine ends on it.

I just went to commercial electrical shop and purchased a black wire and place marine ends on it.

And the black wire was rated waterproof ,,not just SO grade extension cord?

When a power cord is immersed for long periods of time (accidently no doubt) is when you get your moneys worth in underwater metal parts not turning Pink.

Not a bad point I don't travel with that shore power cord it is fixed to the dock and the boat is in fresh water.

>that shore power cord it is fixed to the dock and the boat is in fresh water.<

Loose electric kills with the same ease in fresh water , just has a slightly lower range.

IF never carrying it aboard ,an old fire hose as cover sounds about right.

>that shore power cord it is fixed to the dock and the boat is in fresh water.<

Loose electric kills with the same ease in fresh water , just has a slightly lower range.((endsnip)

Actually, stray AC current is MUCH MORE dangerous to people in fresh water than it is in salt water.

I second the fire hose idea. I know from experience that Sunbrella has poor abrasion resistance. I bought a set of fender covers and they don't last.

I use fire hose on my aft rail for sun protection and also ding protection while fishing. The stuff holds up well and the inner rubberized lining keeps it in place. I suspect a well-fitting segment on the power line would retain flexibility and be well protected, but might be a bit heavy and clumsy if coiled.

I have had great success cleaning with acetone, as recommended by the manufacturer, and a Magic Eraser. Despite the common perception that this will damage the cord cover, this has worked for years with the only effect being a clean power cord. I am still trying to find someone who has actually seen a power cord damaged by acetone.

https://marincofaq.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/how-do-you-clean-shorepower-cords/

IF you just want cable protection , used Hyd hose is tough enough for dock carts or hand trucks with steel wheels to ignore.

Run your power line in a discarded piece..

How would you dress the wires sticking out from the ends of the hydraulic hose?

You could stick finger puppets on them. :D

11128-albums589-picture3725.jpeg

2Q==

2Q==

Last edited:
"How would you dress the wires sticking out from the ends of the hydraulic hose?"

Cut the hose off square with a dowel inside and a hacksaw , then use heat shrink tape to keep the ends from frizzing in a high traffic area.

How would you dress the wires sticking out from the ends of the hydraulic hose?

As long as it's not a deficiency and just a few stray strands at the connector swage, I'd wrap it with Rescue Tape.

I generally clean mine once a year with a scotchbrite sponge and soapy water. Then a coat of Nu Finish car wax. The wax makes it much easier to keep the cord clean. Takes maybe an hour to do the cords and all the adapters.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom