Dumb question from the rookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackD

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Big Fish
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
Having been a sailor for many years, I'm inexperienced with having so many batteries and "power" toys. I'm getting my P30 on Monday. No genset. Question: Will things like the AC, microwave, stove, etc. work while under power or does that require shore power or genset? :blush:

Shore power with no genny. Get you a small Honda gen....

Jack, rather than give you a set of answers, do you have the time and money to engage a pro to provide you the details on each and every system and switch on your vessel? That is what I would do. Hopefully your surveyor made sure all things electric were operating correctly.

Welcome to the joys and hassles of owning a power boat.

Jack, rather than give you a set of answers, do you have the time and money to engage a pro to provide you the details on each and every system and switch on your vessel?
:iagree:Depending on what kind of stove, microwave, AC, etc, that you have, correct answers to your questions could be quite different.

I'm having the survey done on Monday and will learn much. It will be about 36 deg overnight on Monday and I'm just trying to figure if I'll have all of the creature comforts if not connected to shore power. Thanks folks.

I'm having the survey done on Monday and will learn much. It will be about 36 deg overnight on Monday and I'm just trying to figure if I'll have all of the creature comforts if not connected to shore power. Thanks folks.

probably not....

Jack

AC (power similar to that in your home) comes from 1) shore power, 2) an AC generator whether diesel or gas, or 3) an AC inverter working off your battery banks.

When you unplug from shore power your AC appliances will only work if you have one of the other sources to draw from. Some 30 ft trawlers have generators others do not. Most would have an inverter. If you use the inverter you have to figure out how to charge the batteries either by using the main engine or a generator.

No rocket science here, just the difference between you home electricity (AC) and your car's electricity (DC). DC is what operates most items on a boat.

Marty

:iagree:Depending on what kind of stove, microwave, AC, etc, that you have, correct answers to your questions could be quite different.

What he said plus the size of your battery bank is another factor. Although I have yet to see a boat that can run their AC or electric heater without using power from shore or genset regardless of battery bank size.

Don't think I'd have AC and electric stove without a genset. I've an inverter, propane stove, no AC, and no genset.

Many of the Pilots have inverters. It was an option but most buyers opted for it...especially the ones without a generator. What hear model are you getting?

Jack, rather than give you a set of answers, do you have the time and money to engage a pro to provide you the details on each and every system and switch on your vessel?

Jack,

If you are inclined to take Sunchaser's advice, consider using Greg Letsch of First Captains Boating Services. He is friendly, professional, knowledgeable, and an excellent teacher. Kent Island is within the are he works.

Inverter

Many of the Pilots have inverters. It was an option but most buyers opted for it...especially the ones without a generator. What hear model are you getting?

Just checked the specs... yes indeed, I do have an inverter! I guess that will power some things while underway. We will find out on Monday and learn lots of things when we get the survey done. Thanks to all!
JD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom