Insurance...anyone with Boat US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jleonard

Guru
I have had BoatUS insurance for over 20 years and never had a claim.
Yesterday I got letter saying they will be doing a "loss prevention survey" at no cost to me. Yada, yada, yada. And to be completed in 90 days.

Has anyone else here ever received this type of "free" survey?

I had one done on my ex boat in 1999, and by the same surveyor they want to use again. This guy was a total idiot in my book. He made lots of negative verbal comments during the srvey saying he was recommending this and that , etc. And they were all total BS things. However when BoatUS sent me the post survey summary, they had NO recommendations of things I needed to fix.
So number 1 I don't want this guy on my boat. I hope they have another one available.
Number 2 why have they targeted me esp since I have never made a claim to them.
Number 3 they want the boat surveyed in the water but it's not going in as I am on land, winterized and shrink wrapped.
Number 4 the boat is a mess inside with enclosure curtains stored, anchors, lines, you all know that drill. No way anyone could do a fair survey right now

Anyway, looking for comments esp if anyone else has had to go thru this type of survey. I will be calling BoatUS, so I'm looking to seee what kind of tact I can take.
Thanks

Yesterday I got letter saying they will be doing a "loss prevention survey" at no cost to me. Yada, yada, yada. And to be completed in 90 days.

I had one done on my ex boat in 1999, and by the same surveyor they want to use again. This guy was a total idiot in my book. He made lots of negative verbal comments during the srvey saying he was recommending this and that , etc. And they were all total BS things. However when BoatUS sent me the post survey summary, they had NO recommendations of things I needed to fix.
So number 1 I don't want this guy on my boat. I hope they have another one available.
Number 2 why have they targeted me esp since I have never made a claim to them.
Number 3 they want the boat surveyed in the water but it's not going in as I am on land, winterized and shrink wrapped.
Number 4 the boat is a mess inside with enclosure curtains stored, anchors, lines, you all know that drill. No way anyone could do a fair survey right now

Anyway, looking for comments esp if anyone else has had to go thru this type of survey. I will be calling BoatUS, so I'm looking to seee what kind of tact I can take.
Thanks
at some point it seems, all insurance companies want a newish survey...just not sure what the average is...after 20 years old...some require it every 5 years.

Boat US is a pretty easy to get along with organization...a phone call or two may straighten out all your concerns...especially with the surveyor and when it happens considering you are hauled and not likely to sink and less likely to burn is shore power isn't hooked up.

Thanks

I have been with BoatUS since 2000 and they have never asked for a survey, other than the initial one. They told me at the time I signed up, that if they asked for a survey, they would pay for it.

I have had no claims either and they have not asked for a new survey yet, knock on wood. I have been wondering how long they would go without a survey to at least establish a current market value for the boat.

"Survey in the water" They don't want to pay for a haul out.
LB

Last edited:
BoatUS never required a survey of the Coot. I suppose because it was newly-constructed (2010/11).

All BoatUS asked of me was an in the water survey for my boat a year ago. I'd call them up and request a surveyor of your choice. May cost you but its not that much in the grand scheme of things.

After 20 years I'd certainly not complain.

Maybe those of us with no claims are WAYYYYY too suspicious...they know that a boatowner can't have a boat more than a few years without sinking it, catching it on fire or scraping it down a line of anchors....:eek::D

Maybe those of us with no claims are WAYYYYY too suspicious...they know that a boatowner can't have a boat more than a few years without sinking it, catching it on fire or scraping it down a line of anchors....:eek::D

:rofl: Maybe you're right.

The boat was surveyed 6 years ago when I bought it, so the survey is not really old.
The boat was on land and when I tried to insure they said that because the surveyor said the rudder box needed an adjustment they wouldn't write a policy. Even though the boat was on the hard for the winter. Common sense is not very common at all.:nonono:

I just went over to ACE insurance and cut my cost in half. Went thru Jack Martin in Annapolis. I am very pleased with their service.

All BoatUS asked of me was an in the water survey for my boat a year ago. I'd call them up and request a surveyor of your choice. May cost you but its not that much in the grand scheme of things. After 20 years I'd certainly not complain.

I'm glad to hear about them paying for an in water survey. Sometimes companies tell you one thing and do another.

I dumped my old company, when they started demanding out of water surveys every three years at my expense. I have a very close friend and fellow boater, insurance broker who has been trying to steal me away from BoatUS for years with promises of better coverage, larger cruising area, yada, yada, yada!! But when she puts together a policy, she still can't match their overall coverage and paid survey policy.

I'm with you . . . . after 13 years with BoatUS. . .No complaints here!!

My boat is old enough that my ins. co. requires a survey every 5 yrs.
However, they are quite flexible about the specific timing. They often ask in January and there has never been a problem about delaying until haulout time 4 mo. later May or even June.

Same thing, the boat is put to bed, winterizing gear is all over the place although mine is still in the water.

I expect that if you call them and explain they will be agreeable to the delay.

I expect that if you call them and explain they will be agreeable to the delay.

I think I'll just let the surveyor do it on land. He'll be limited to what he can really look at that's all. BoatUS is paying him so he can work it out as he sees fit.

I will call and try to get another one though as I really don't have any respect for the one they assigned.

We have Hartford AARP Ins. They have never required a survey and It's an agreed value policy.

The bad part is you are only covered 20 miles offshore so before we would ever cross over to the islands a carrier change would be needed.

Ok, here is my story. Had Boat US insurance for 17 years without a claim. Then, during a winter storm, the dock finger next to mine let go and the boat tied to it pummeled my boat for hours. Certainly not my fault. Boat US quickly paid my claim. 2-years later, I damaged the mast of my boat by clipping a bridge; the bridge tender had begun opening a swing bridge that I was close to without seeing me there. I'm sure I had some culpability as I was too close to the bridge and was having a hard time clearing the bridge due to a very swift current. Boat US paid the claim promptly. However, that was the only incident that I could have possibly had any culpability in 50 years of boat ownership. And, the Admiral and I both have Captains licenses.

I bought a new boat and I began getting insurance quotes. Progressive quoted $2,500 for 1-year. My friends at Boat US quoted $7,900/year. That's loyalty to a customer of 17 years. Insurance companies are happy to take your premiums, but just have a claim and watch what happens. It's like health insurance. Pay and pay, just don't have a claim.

Thanks for indulging my rant.

Ok, here is my story. Had Boat US insurance for 17 years without a claim. Then, during a winter storm, the dock finger next to mine let go and the boat tied to it pummeled my boat for hours. Certainly not my fault. Boat US quickly paid my claim. 2-years later, I damaged the mast of my boat by clipping a bridge; the bridge tender had begun opening a swing bridge that I was close to without seeing me there. I'm sure I had some culpability as I was too close to the bridge and was having a hard time clearing the bridge due to a very swift current. Boat US paid the claim promptly. However, that was the only incident that I could have possibly had any culpability in 50 years of boat ownership. And, the Admiral and I both have Captains licenses.

I bought a new boat and I began getting insurance quotes. Progressive quoted $2,500 for 1-year. My friends at Boat US quoted $7,900/year. That's loyalty to a customer of 17 years. Insurance companies are happy to take your premiums, but just have a claim and watch what happens. It's like health insurance. Pay and pay, just don't have a claim.

Thanks for indulging my rant.
Did you request information on the huge increase from BoatUS?

I wonder if like auto...moving related damages are sometime looked at differently than when the vehicle was stationary.

"I bought a new boat and I began getting insurance quotes. Progressive quoted $2,500 for 1-year. My friends at Boat US quoted $7,900/year. That's loyalty to a customer of 17 years. Insurance companies are happy to take your premiums, but just have a claim and watch what happens. It's like health insurance. Pay and pay, just don't have a claim."

That was my experience with Boat US as well. We insured a boat with them for also about 17 years, with an $80,000 hull value, and the premiums were extremely reasonable (about $750 per year). We had no claims, aside from a single towing claim about 10 years ago.

When we bought our current boat, insured for just over double the amount for which we insured the last one, our rate roughly tripled. Both vessels were single engine diesel trawlers.

We shopped around, and found good coverage for the new boat at about 30% more than we paid for our previous boat. Considering the difference in insured value, I thought the difference was justified.

Before I purchased our current boat, I shopped around for insurance on several different models including the mono-hull we have now and two other catamarans we didn't go with. On our current boat, I chose Atlass. My premium was around 2400 in Miami including named storm coverage with a Hurricane plan. Deductible was 10 percent. Boat US was more than double that for each of the boats I quoted before buying. They keep sending me invitations for new quotes, but they are still double or more for the specifics I have on my current policy. Never understood why so much more.

Not familiar with BoatUS insurance, but am now insured with Markel Insurance through my agent, USAA. US Military veterans with honorable discharge are eligible for membership and coverage through USAA. I've been with them since 1969. No complaints. Recommend them highly.

Not familiar with BoatUS insurance, but am now insured with Markel Insurance through my agent, USAA. US Military veterans with honorable discharge are eligible for membership and coverage through USAA. I've been with them since 1969. No complaints. Recommend them highly.

Last time I tried to insure with them they quoted me 5X the going rate on my 37 Sportfish...so bad a supervisor called me back to apologize they couldn't do better.

Maybe I need to revisit with this boat.......

Do they do liveaboards?

Since 2007, USAA has subcontracted their Marine insurance thru Progressive. I recommend looking elsewhere...

Since 2007, USAA has subcontracted their Marine insurance thru Progressive. I recommend looking elsewhere...

exept that dealing with them beats many other outfits hands down....of course they still have to live to the underwriters rules...but few if any better in your corner when you need someone.

exept that dealing with them beats many other outfits hands down....of course they still have to live to the underwriters rules...but few if any better in your corner when you need someone.

Point taken, and I agree for the most part. However, since USAA subs the marine insurance to Progressive, you deal directly with Progressive, with little USAA intervention.

If USAA dealt with Markel or ACE Recreation Marine, we'd be with them in a heartbeat, as both companies have great liveaboard coverage. They already have my auto insurance, and we'd also bank with them.

Point taken, and I agree for the most part. However, since USAA subs the marine insurance to Progressive, you deal directly with Progressive, with little USAA intervention.

If USAA dealt with Markel or ACE Recreation Marine, we'd be with them in a heartbeat, as both companies have great liveaboard coverage. They already have my auto insurance, and we'd also bank with them.

USAA subbed our marine policy to Markel when Progressive stopped covering boats over 35 feet some years ago.

As a follow-up and closure to this issue:
Boat US would not waive the survey and they would not change the surveyor despite my plea.
SO after NOT getting a call back from the surveyor, I called again at night when I suspected he would be home. He denied sending me a letter which I had in my hand when I called him (this guy is such an idiot).
Anyway we made an appointment for that Friday (the 15th) and he showed up on time. Having had a hip replacement, I didn't think he would make it up the ladder and into my boat thru the shrinkwrap door, but he finally made it.
The survey was bogus. 95% of it was going thru BOAT US's 6 or 7 page checklist of items, more like an equipment inventory than anything although there was a question about how the fuel tanks were secured in the boat. I had brought my original survey along and I read the line item that said "they are secured". I guess that was satisfactory.
He did take a quick look in the bilge in a couple of places.
Bottom line he made 3 recommendations that Boat US demands be corrected, according to the letter I received today. And they are not biggies in my opinion. I called them and they are OK with me waiting until springtime to get them done.

1) He found 2 wire nuts (that I installed) that he wants changed to crimp connectors. They are taped but I can change them to crimp style easy enough.
2) He recommended I add a fire extinguisher on the flybridge. Apparently Boat US says this is a requirement to be insured by them.
3) He recommended a CO detector in the sleeping area. Again apparently Boat US says this is one of their requirements.

So no big deal after all. The added fire extinguisher is a good idea, and so is the CO detector even though I have a diesel boat. I have worried at times of other boats running gas gensets on a still night in fairly close quarters, so this will ease my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boat US

I like Tow Boat US and sometimes shop at West Marine when the price is right.
I do not understand the Boat US insurance. Our old boat a 1986 has coverage from American Modern. Is that good? We don't know as we had to get some insurance fast and then over the past year make repairs and renovation to a badly neglected boat. The survey when we bought the boat was "poor" condition. Now after sweat equity and many upgrades ($$$$) we want new insurance and a new survey. So we respond to Boat US's advertisements. Ask for a quote, send them the new survey amendments and get a quote per year of 10% of the agreed value. Six times our current policy that will pay for the boat's purchase price in a total loss. How can they stay in business?
The MTOA insurance would not take on the older boat with a poor survey. We are still talking a under $100K boat that stays in marinas on the ICW and out of Fla during the hurry cane season.
We had our previous boat 18 years with state farm in Fla. year round, Three claims yet never a increase but they could not insure unless a new boat. Travelers, USAA, Progressive, Allstate would not insure old boats.
I wish some one would simplify this insurance business

USAA subbed our marine policy to Markel when Progressive stopped covering boats over 35 feet some years ago.

I also insure with USAA--auto, home and umbrella. When I bought the current boat, I checked with USAA and they referred us to Markel. I found Markel not to be competitive vs. ACE, which is where we ended up. There was no premium discound offered for keeping it all within the USAA "family". That's not a knock on USAA--they are a great insurance company. I just have never felt that USAA really understands marine insurance above the towable boat market level. Of course, that's likely a conscious decision on their part that bigger boats lie outside their preferred business lines.

When it came time to insure my 1985 boat, here's the quote I got:
--> Boat US was for $5000
--> Foremost (from Farmers) was of $1600

This was an easy decision for me. However, Foremost required a survey and that I address most of the items the surveyor reported as a problem.

When it came time to insure my 1985 boat, here's the quote I got:
--> Boat US was for $5000
--> Foremost (from Farmers) was of $1600

This was an easy decision for me. However, Foremost required a survey and that I address most of the items the surveyor reported as a problem.

And the survey is a requirement for most insurers for vessels over 27' and 10 years of age.

You'll want to read that Foremost policy very carefully- their language leaves a lot to be desired. Remember, low cost is only 1 factor in determining to get a policy- the other is how the policy covers you. I can tell you that Foremost doesn't offer much in the way of coverage.....

I had Boat US years ago and then went to Jack Martin INsurance, 410 626 1000. renee@jackmartin.com. They know what their doing. They are not there to just take your money and fill in the spaces. When my policy rates started to climb, I was called by Renee and told that they felt the rates were too high. They went and looked then found ACE Insurance and got me good coverage with an almost 50% saving. I am not speaking with an air head. They know their business. I will stay with them as long as I have a vessel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom