What have you done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

READY2GO

Guru
Vessel Name
Walkabout
Vessel Make
1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
I changed the oil on our Lehman 120 today. This is the second time for me to change it. I bought an oil change kit from American Diesel that is basically a hose that connects to where the oil pan drain plug is. First I removed the oil through the dipstick tube with a pump and a piece of copper tubing that slid down the dipstick tube to get as much oil out as possible, then finagled a plastic container into the bilge and under the drain plug. I removed the drain plug and got at least another two quarts of oil out. I then pumped that oil out of the container so I could get the container back out from under the engine. What a pain. I then installed the oil change kit so from now on I will be pumping from the bottom of the pan.

It got me to thinking. The motor has 3400 hours on it. Assuming proper maintenance was done, that is 33 oil changes. If someone had done this a long time ago it would have been much better for the motor to have all 12 quarts of oil changed instead leaving 2 quarts of old oil in the motor. Also when I put the 12 quarts of new oil in the level on the dipstick showed 2 quarts low. So the dipstick was marked wrong all this time as well.

The point of this thread is what simple things have you done to your boat that make a big difference and you can't believe someone hadn't already done.

Good idea for a thread.

Marty

I just added the oil change kit as well. I did the finger in the dike routine. I only lost a small amount of oil on a bilge diaper by the time I got the hose connected. On a previous boat I used clear tubing and clipped it to a bulkhead and marked the full level with a zip tie. Then I could see the oil level without using the dip stick.

I just added the oil change kit as well. I did the finger in the dike routine. I only lost a small amount of oil on a bilge diaper by the time I got the hose connected. On a previous boat I used clear tubing and clipped it to a bulkhead and marked the full level with a zip tie. Then I could see the oil level without using the dip stick.
Cool idea.

I placed a gate valve on each toilet's incoming waterline right at the push button that simultaneously activates its incoming flush water and evacuation pumps. This does not alter the evacuation pump's operation. However, by careful inter actions between reducing incoming water as compared to outgoing fluids/solids the bulk water into holding tank is minimized. Caution is recommended though as the incoming and evacuation pumps should always have at least some water in them to keep impellers top condition. In other words... don't simply shut off incoming water completely. Maintain at least a trickle! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze!

On our last boat we had no windlass. I often would pull the hook in the morning before everyone else was up so since I was alone I had to figure a way to raise the chain by hand and wash it down. I installed a t-fitting at the washdown. Ran a braided stainless steel supply hose (Lowes) to a brass hose spray nozzle. I carefully mounted the nozzle to spray the chain as it passed over the roller.

Installed underwater lights on this boat just between the rudders and the props so I can see what's going on down there without diving on her.

Purchased two additional GPS wire harnesses and installed one on the flybridge and one in the dingy. The GPS can now be moved to any location.

Put waterproof LED lights in the shower ceiling to brighten things up.

Digital (Auto) volt meters instead of the pathetic amp meters to see the alternator outputs.

Hand held wireless remote control for the second or anywhere on the boat, auto pilot controller.

Computer mushroom fan installed on the intake side of the battery box to keep the batteries cool.

A quick connect hose ends to all of the oil pan drain hoses and one permanently mounted transfer pump with enough hose to reach anywhere in the engine room with a quick connect fitting on it.

Oscillating wall mounted fan in the engine room to keep me cool while in there.

Fold down flat screen TV over the helm with HDMI input to feed the PC based plotter to if wanted/needed.

I haven't done this yet but it's on the winter work list for changing oil in the Simms fuel injector pump (from the Grand Banks forum):

M8-1 to 1/8 pipe fitting in the bottom in place of the drain plug. Then put a 90 degree ice maker needle valve in the fitting with a 12" piece of ice maker tubing on it.

When ready to change the oil in the pump and with the engine hot, put the tubing end in a catch container, open the valve and the oil drains right into the bottle. Take the fill cap out to aid in oil flow.

Tighten the valve back closed, refill with oil, either a measured amount or to the bottom of the level hole and you're ready to go, no muss, no fuss.

t_drain_valve_002_596.jpg

You can google the fitting or probably get one at a good auto supply shop.

The point of this thread is what simple things have you done to your boat that make a big difference and you can't believe someone hadn't already done.
I added a hatch in the salon floor to give me easy access to the oil & coolant fill. I can't believe the builder didn't do this.

Attachments

• DSCN1321.JPG
    DSCN1321.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Coolant Cap After.jpg
    Coolant Cap After.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 208
Double the bilge pumps with alarms as back up or just in case. Also removed/filled in all the through hulls below the water line except the engine in takes. All the discharge water is pump above the water line and converted the toilets to fresh water. Also removed 50% of the through hulls above the water line and combine the connections/use. 2 thru hulls below the water line and 9 above the water line.

Brought the AC/DC electrical and other areas up to recommend ABYC. Additional alarms, and fire extinguishers. Rewired the pilot house and organized. Added additional lights in most of the areas that did not have adequate lighting. The engine room is bright as day so all areas/access are easy to see/work on. Change fuel system to include fuel polishing/transfer. Re sheaved/modified the hydraulic pump/bow thruster to variables speed increase PSI and re sheaved the cruise gen so it does not brown out as low rpm. Installed a Webasto diesel boiler heating that also re heats the main 671, and keeps the whole boat including the engine room 65+ degrees.

Built two additional large storage box on the roof, changed mast boom to electric winches, canvas enclosed the stern and pilot house for additional useable living space, and additional refrigeration and freezer. Basically have gone though the entire boat updating.

Attachments

• back deck.jpg
    back deck.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 232
  • engine room.jpg
    engine room.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 276
  • pilot house.jpg
    pilot house.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Do you mean as a DIYer or a "checkwriter?" As a DIYer, installed a 5K Westerbeke gen set in the boat, as it did not have one when we bought it.

For all the shoddy work the POs had done in the past, I can forgive the one that had the foresight to install an electric pump to change the oil. Lines from the bottom of each oil pan go to a pump, then to a 3' section of capped line. Get the engines to operating temps and shut down. Hook the hose to the pump and put the discharge in a 5 gallon bucket. Turn on pump, and listen for it to finish. Almost all the old oil is gone. If you want to be anal about it, pour some fresh oil in and pump out till it looks clean. Easiest thing ever!!!!

It got me to thinking. The motor has 3400 hours on it. Assuming proper maintenance was done, that is 33 oil changes. If someone had done this a long time ago it would have been much better for the motor to have all 12 quarts of oil changed instead leaving 2 quarts of old oil in the motor. Also when I put the 12 quarts of new oil in the level on the dipstick showed 2 quarts low. So the dipstick was marked wrong all this time as well.

Maybe the dipstick is correct for the tilt of the engine. Having oil submerge the rear seals and flood the bottom end of the piston rods is not always recommended. Many dipsticks are set up for level and not recalibrated for a 10 degree tilt. The purpose of the fill mark is to prevent too high an oil level, not to store oil.

I'd say the POs did something right, many in fact if this engine has made it 35 years. Mimic the POs succes, do your fun changes and necessary improvements and you'll be one happy camper.

One out of the normal change which has had a major difference for us is the addition of an amplified warning klaxon on our anchor alarm. We use a computer based chart plotter for the anchor alarm. The addition of amplified speakers raises the noise level. It does wake me even from a deep sleep. Thus I sleep more easily.

Marty

On my 2005 Mainship trawler, I noted that the bow cleats did not have backing plates under the deck cleats. There are threaded Phillips head bolts screwed into the deck through the cleats and I assumed there's something metal imbedded in the deck to bolt to, but that seemed weak. There wasn't even a nut and washer in the bolts under the cleat. I placed a 1/4" 3" X 8" plate under the cleat and bolted through the plate and attached washers and locking nuts... this mod can't hurt - might even help secure the cleats. :blush:

DSC00286.JPGDSC00255.JPG

Simple mods we made include

-two 22" round tables in place of one 48" long rectangle table allows easier access to settee and greater flexibility with additional table mount base in cockpit.

-Led lighting throughout including the anchor light

-improved systems monitoring of battery SOC, freshwater and holding tank status

-replacing the power winch with a real windlass with helm controls and wireless remote controls.

-added Honda generator and small 1000 watt inverter with 660ah house bank

-replaced old's head with new Jabsco QuietFlush head.

-added 2nd refrigerator.

Each of these projects were DIY and have made a significant improvement in ease of operation, reliability and convenience.

Raised the bottom of the anchor locker, created hatches under the forward berth, added a blow-by oil-recovery system, installed steel strips to the edges of the pilothouse roof, and added a cannon. If interested, ask why.

So far at about the one year mark for ownership, absolutely nothing.

Have a few projects planned and materials purchased but without the time I'll just continue fueling, detailing and enjoying. I did not buy a "project boat" for a reason.

Craig, what about your horn and radar plans? Get moving!

markpierce, OK, I'll bite! Why the cannon? I know you're dying to tell us. By the way, I like it. George

markpierce, OK, I'll bite! Why the cannon? I know you're dying to tell us. By the way, I like it. George

Because everyone knows how much booze he carries on that Coot!:D

Mark only fires his canon at steel hulled boats... just to watch (prove) cannon balls bounce off. Therein establishing total integrity for his steel Coot!

:speed boat:

A boat (even a newer boat) is always a work in progress. Additions and changes to Moonstruck so far.

• added fold down computer desk in guest/den stateroom
  • removed table in saloon in front of settee, and added a leather storage ottoman to make a TV lounge
  • changed all lighting to LED
  • added battery monitor
  • added Raritan Purasan with Hold & Treat system
  • added larger capacity battery charger. in process of upgrading engine charging system, added pursine wave inverter
  • added dinghy davits to swing dinghy up on platform
  • in process of adding satallite TV receiver and adding cockpit shade
  • as Roseanna Rosannadana's daddy would say, "it's always something"

Last edited:
Since July,

Complete cleaning
Changed all fluids/filters
Check all hoses and be lts. Changed some
Replaced all incandescent lighting to led
Stripped flybridge varnish
Built new f.bridge sliding hatch
Built salon window shade valances
Replaced galley sink
Rebuilt vacuflush system
All new sanitation system ..most done in pvc hard pipe
New gps, plotter, broadband radar, 1kw sounder..partially installed
Built and installed new teak dash panels
Repaired teak deck caulking ( not finished with this yet)
Refinished teak sole in fwd cabin, head
Modified overhead galley cabinet to install microwave
Added additional bilge pump
New exhaust hose between engine and aqualift muffler

I know there is more.. but these are the bigger items. I try to spend as much time as I can tinkering on the boat as work and the Admiral allow

Hollywood

Same here, except for a larger anchor and a 9.9hp kicker because there's no towing services around here. Our plan all along was to wait one year before we made any changes, just to be sure they were actually needed or not...now it's a matter of editing that down to an afforable/manageable list!

Last edited:
Guys
My small contribution was in the design department.

My boat belongs to a line of hulls ranging from 28’ to 46’ (mine). So far, there are 1 x 42’, 1 x 33’ and 5 x 28’. When the first 42’ was building and due to the fact that the hull has a wide beam, I questioned the designer if he could add to my project a pair of keels (?). He agreed and when the first 42’ splashed we could feel the need for those keels. In the meantime, 2 x 28” were built with the keels on my advice and they are significantly better in movement than the previous ones without the keels.

The owner of the new 28 with the keels reports a soft ride with small lateral movement comparing with the first

Picture #1 First 42' without keels
Picture # 2 First 33
Picture # 3 First 28' with Keels
Picture #4 My boat with the keels

Attachments

• Curruira42.jpg
    Curruira42.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 464
  • Curruira 33.jpg
    Curruira 33.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 492
  • Curruira28.jpg
    Curruira28.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 457
  • Curruira46.jpg
    Curruira46.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Starting at the bow:

Fly the RCM-SAR burgee from the bow staff;

Salt water washdown system with nozzle aimed at the chain just below the bow roller;

Recovered V-berth upholstery;

Added 12v outlets and puck lighting in V-berth;

Changed fridge from AC/DC power hog to DC;

Changed stove from propane to Fab-all diesel, added 2 burner propane cook-top;

Silestone white countertops in galley;

Single lever taps in galley;

Under counter puck lighting in galley;

New style ceiling lights throughout;

Added macerator pump, Y valves and bilge suction to holding system;

Hudson Reed taps at head sinks, shower/tubs;

Truck air horns;

Taller mast with useable lifting boom, mounted so no stays required;

Stand for mast when lowered;

Rack for Laser/Kayaks;

Electronics replacements.upgrades, (1/2 life of electronics is short, this is a continuous process) ;

Built teak locker to hang 1/2 folded charts below window in Saloon, integrated with cover for Diesel stove day tank;

Removed center window opening arms (gave away to forum member);

Removed Espar heater (gave away to forum member for parts);

Reupholstered main cabin cushions (second set this year);

New curtains (second set this year);

Replaced leaky window sliders;

Swapped out TMD40s at 4500 hrs for TAMD41s at 1500 hrs (now 3100 hrs);

Repitched props to lower cruising rpm and fuel consumption;

Added MS2000 Inverter/Charger;

Added Ample Power Next Step Regulator, EMON;

Changed house batteries from 8Dx2, 4Dx2, to Golf cartx4, changed mounting location;

Added 2 cuft DC freezer;

Shelves in aft cabin bilge (wine cellar);

Thicker foam mattress with rigid styrofoam insulation on top of water tanks in aft cabin;

Added 1 bilge pump;

Added Honda gas fire pump;

Repainted non-teak decks (tops of fwd and aft cabins, flybridge) several times, as required;

Added stiffening supports to davits to increase lifting capacity to over 1000 lb;

Caribe 12ft RIB with Honda 40;

Lengthened swimgrid from 20" to 33", including replacing short, bronze supports with longer SS supports;

Built boarding ladder, to hang outside either side door (Bronze hooks poured from one of the swimgrid supports);

Ordinary renewals, regular maintenance, varnishing, detailing, as needed.

You really didn't have to elaborate, Craig, your avatar pretty much nails it! :blush:

Well, I didn't realize that this thread was a treatise on everything that we did to our boats! Keeping to the dictates that the OP suggested ("can't believe others hadn't thought of it..") I only listed a new salon hatch. There were other improvements, however, that included:

1) Changing out my anchor rode to a combo of chain & line.

2) Changing the cockpit awning hardware so as to access the bow easier.

3) Adding a polished SS anchor & chain stopper on the the bow.

4) Adding an anchor wash down to the port chain locker.

5) Adding an innerspring mattress to the captain's cabin.

6) Changed the holding tank gauge to one that works, in the head.

7) Adding an ER camera

8) Upgrading my alternator to 140 amps

9) Added a fuel polishing system

11) Added a FloScan system

12) Added a new smart charger

13) Changed the transom shower to a cockpit wash down

14) Added a SOC meter

15) Added two pole holders in the port & starboard gunnels

16) Added a new teak swim platform

17) Added a "fish finder" to my MFD

Projects on the docket include:

1) LEDs throughout the boat

2) 3 new windscreen wipers
3) Possibly a new refrigerator (Not sure as I don't use one that much) :hide:
4) Replace side window screens

This exercise has served to remind me how much money has been pissed away! :blush: I think it's high time I stop!

Back
Top Bottom