How many hours before SMOH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The whole purpose of this post is not to worry but rather prepare as all engines will fail at some point they are a consumable and require service internally in addition to externally! Not sure why you even posted did you have some thing to contribute or do you just like to see your name written!
Gregg

You obviously took offense to my post. My Apologies. But I'm being sincere about my suggestion of going sailing.

That's a very good price for all that, and that list is kinda what I had in my head, typically injection pumps are pricey.

Oh yea coughing up blood was excessive blow by, next time I'll be extremely specific in this forum as it appears there are plenty of snipers about.

Mike, don't get too excited. That doesn't include labor and shipping to and from. That could easily double that $10k depending on how the engine(s) are installed. And then you start scratching your head because you are now knocking on the door of the price of a brand new engine....and then begin to rationalize......

Here's an email we received for a new engine.

G'day, Lena and Larry.
We would have several recommendations for you to consider, and really what it comes down to is your cruising speed expectations along with the required hours of durability, or cruising range either at normal operating RPM, or for extended range operations.

First, visit our web-site,
www.northern-lights, and under Lugger engine models L1064A or L1066T engines copy the brochures, for reference. In addition, for purposes of consumption comparatives, remember that 1 gallon of diesel should produce 20HP at the transmission input shaft, with a 3% estimated parasitic loss in the transmission.

Taking your average fuel consumption of your Lehman Ford, probably somewhere between 2 to 3 gallons per hour, you were using 40-60 HP to cruise your KK-42 between 7-8 knots, and when you compare this to either engine performance, your would be operating your engine at less than 50% of the rated capacity for the engines.

The physical dimensions of the engines will compare very close to your existing Lehman, the L1064A engine would be shorter of course, since it is only a 4 cylinder engine. To elaborate further, both Lugger models begin life as John Deere Industrial engines, then we marinize the engines to suit our requirements which are somewhat different from the standard John Deere Marine engines, also available to you and standard on all current KK models. Since we have been marinizing the Deere engine for 25 years longer than Deere, we think we know something about what is required for our customers, so we continue to use their engine, done our way.

So you will have options, from very limited changes in the scope of supply between your existing engine, 12V, single high amperage alternator, HE cooling, Twin Disc or ZF transmission with a 2 1/2 to 1 reduction gear, wiring harness, panel, wet exhaust elbow, all matching what you have, so it can slip into the engine spaces without any severe compromises. But, what other changes would you wish to make, such as stabilizers, thrusters, dual alternators, drive options for other solutions, and etc, that you would want to incorporate into your repower project?

Pricing will range from $34,500 to $39,000, depending upon the model selected and the transmission requirements, and available accessory options tailored to your requirements.
Fit should be very close to your existing Lehman, and if you wish to receive a quotation, we would first request that your complete the application questionnaire available on the web-site.

I hope that you will continue your interest and respond with a quotation request that results from receiving your questionnaire. You may be directed to one of our offices that may be closer to you, so if an inspection and consultation is necessary, we can accommodate your interest and timing.

Thank you for your interest and we look forward to your response.

Regards, Steve Scholz,
Director, Asia Pacific Marine Market

Thanks Larry, very interesting. One part that I'm not 100% sure of, was he given some kind of better fuel efficiency with the Lugger, or just stating basic facts, he kinda loss me in the 2nd and 3rd paragraph.

Geez...that is a steep quote....I am assuming that is completely turn key??? I sure hope so. What does the engine cost all by itself(longblock)?

All the more reason to go with the American Diesel plug-n-play option.

All the more reason to go with the American Diesel plug-n-play option.

Ya know I went to the American Diesel website, it's a one pager and no information, I wrote an email to them to get cost estimate, just basic stuff, still waiting, but I have to say, it doesn't scream confidence in their product, again could be just me, but if was cheap and plug and play why not have that on the site?

Ya know I went to the American Diesel website, it's a one pager and no information, I wrote an email to them to get cost estimate, just basic stuff, still waiting, but I have to say, it doesn't scream confidence in their product, again could be just me, but if was cheap and plug and play why not have that on the site?

I did the exact same thing and wondered the exact same thing. I honestly have no clue and am curious what is going on over there?

. It is probably an EPA thing.

Yes, EPA and Tier III have doomed new non compliant engines making the Cummins or Lehman remans a very attractive option. A pumped up JD or Lugger 4045 just doesn't seem to me a good substitute for a slow revving non after cooled 6 banger.

Normally wouldn't want to high-jack this treat, but I think it ran it's course, notice on the Bomac site: DORSET and DOVER could someone explain the difference in the Lehman line, first time I saw reference to that.

Ya know I went to the American Diesel website, it's a one pager and no information, I wrote an email to them to get cost estimate

American Diesel has a web presence only because folks expect it. Email is fine if you have time to wait but if you want any information call them direct at the number listed on the page. I have and their wonderful folks.

Normally wouldn't want to high-jack this treat, but I think it ran it's course, notice on the Bomac site: DORSET and DOVER could someone explain the difference in the Lehman line, first time I saw reference to that.

Originally posted by Marin (now a phantom but valuable contributer)

"Well, no. His father, Bob Smith, worked for Lehman in New Jersey. Lehman bought Ford of England Dorset diesels and marinized them into the FL120. Bob designed some of the marinization components. Later Lehman bought Ford of England Dover diesels and marinized them into the FL135. They also marinzed other Ford of England diesels.

Lehman eventually went out of business. Bob Smith started American Diesel to continue to supply parts and service for Ford Lehman engines. At some point he was joined by his son Brian.

Up until a year or two ago they also supplied a drop-in replacement for the FL120 using a then-currently made Ford of England diesel (don't know the model) which American Diesel marinized This engine developed 150 hp and required no modifications to anything to replace a crapped out Fl120. I have read that either this engine is no longer available or it can no longer be imported into the US anymore. In any event, the American Diesel drop-in replacement engine is no longer available. But they continue to sell parts for this and the older Ford Lehman engines as well as accessories like heat exchangers, upgrade raw water pumps to replace the flawed Lehman original, recovery coolant systems, and so on. "

CALL THEM.
I've run into this before. We all expect every company to have a snappy website with all info immediately available. Me too. However those sites cost money and for small companies it's not worth it. Often what they offer for a site is done by themselves without the skills to do a good job. They show just enough to hopefully get you to call.
No I'm not an IT guy but I know a few and their services are not cheap.

+1 on calling American Diesel. They are great folks, just not into the web much. Great service and great people, but you gotta use the phone.

Thanks Walt and Rick. I learned a new word.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom