SiriusXM Marine Weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpeterson

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cabernet
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48 NS
Has anyone used Sirius XM weather? I have Raymarine Multifunction Displays and they make a module to connect to Sirius Weather. Just wondering how accurate it is and if it is worth $54 a month.

I use it on my Furuno. Love it. Real time WX. Radar, highs, lows, fronts, buoys, cities, airports (I know, but it is real weather and I may need to get back to WY to work for a few days!)

Thanks, by the ad it looks like it is worth while. There is a pricy unit that interfaces with my Raymarine, but once that is bought it is just the monthly. Seems like you can get current weather anywhere?

With all the "tech toys" and apps these days it's hard to justify the expense. But, when you're cruising for a while and covering good distances the Wx on your MFD helps very much. I pay about $32 p/m.

As far as the data, it's not 100% real time as we would wish for. It's delayed at least 15min or more. My dual E120s also sometimes have lag and don't show all the data. I It's normal and the data comes back in a little while. When you first power upp your MFD it takes sometime for the data to collect before it can be presented on MFD.

All in all I wish it was much faster with minimum lags and more of a real time. But, for now this is the best option I have without relying on broadband or wifi connections to get the same data off the web or a smartphone. the good thing is that you can suspend the service for up to 7 months. I keep it active during prime season and suspend it for the winter.

Beware of the bug between the Sirius SR150 & Raymarine E120W, E90W

Don't get me started on Sirius. The product is good. Their management stinks. They have perpetuated the myth that they don't serve Alaska but have quite a following in Southeast in the commercial fishing fleet. They even transmit all the weather data for Alaska, however because of the myth, the marine electronics industry not has implemented the software to display forecasts. I get wind forecasts overlaid on my display, can see open ocean sea states, and pull up observations, but can't select any Alaska forecast area. We found it very useful this summer to find weather windows on windy days even though the Lowrance implementation of it is pretty poor.

Sirius management is going to finally make it right though. They are not going to replace the Sirius satellites but intend to go with all geosynchronous satellites as the final part of the merger with XM. The service in Southeast will go downhill after that so it seems they are going to make the myth true.

Another technology step backward in the Last Frontier.

Tom

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom