window treatments / blinds shades...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albin43

Vessel Make
Albin 43 Trawler
post photos of what you have or have redone..

i need to do something soon once this winter*cover comes off.

thanks!

I do not know how to post picture, but we did heavy thermal curtains which hold in the heat during the winter and keeps the heat out in the summer, they do not make any noise and sound proof the boat.*

that sounds like a great idea. id love to see.

set up a photobucket account, photobucket.com

then load photos and "get links"

copy the IMG code and PASTE it here...

thats all

hope to see!

Phil Fill wrote:

I do not know how to post picture,
Phil--- When you reply to a post, select the "advanced editor" function.* This will give you an option below the text box to browse your computer, select one or more photos, and then load them.* After you have selected your photos into the list, select the "Upload Files" box at the bottom of the photo*list.* Then you wait while the application uploads the photos to the server.* Depending on the size and number*of the photo files and the speed of*your internet connection this can take several minutes.* When it's done uploading the pictures*you'll get the normal reply page back again.* You can type some more in the text box if you want, but when you're done with the text you select the "Submit Post" button and there you are.

There is a size limit for a photo file--- I believe it's about 2 megs.* I usually try to knock photos down to about 800 kb or so.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 15th of February 2010 08:29:36 PM

oh great didnt know that was available on this site! thanks marin

I will try tomorrow at work as I have some pictures on my older PC ast work.* PC and*I do not get along very well.*
confuse.gif

Hopefully this works.

The fist picture ae the original draps before we added a new top layer that sort of matches the bed spread.* I think you can see the new curtains in the middle picture.*

Attachments

• galley1.jpg
    galley1.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 100
  • quilt.jpg
    quilt.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 103
  • stateroom.jpg
    stateroom.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 94
that looks nice, where did you buy them?

The original came with the boat and looked like they were bought at Sear/Pennys. Someone cut and sewn to length. *My wife sewed the new layer of fabric on to the old as the old where in good shape but where so blah/plain.* Did not fit with our new color décor which is a little more brighter, colorful and goes with the teak wood color.* The new fabric we bought at a local fabric store.* Also most local fabric stores have names of people that will sew projects.

Check out Warm shades , these get an inch thick when unrolled and seal air tight automatically (required to work as insulation) with magnetic strips.

These are used on coaches that operate in cold weather , as they have large glass areas , and glass has a crappy (R-1) value.

I still have the original metal mini-blinds on the side saloon windows. I like them because you can open or close completely, pull them up out of the way, or open them such that they sun does or does not come in (winter/summer). On the aft doors, I replaced the mini blinds because they were always getting torn up by people running into them. I put cloth cellular shades there. Put Velcro on the bottom instead of brackets to hold them in place when closed. I paid extra to get the cordless ones; they simply go up or down and stay where you put them. The only down side is that they're either open or closed. No settings like mini-blinds where you can see out but keep the sun from coming directly in.

I also have the darkest limo tint available on the saloon windows. Nice for privacy and keeping the saloon cooler in the summer. In the pilothouse, I cut up sheets of foam/foil sheathing material used on houses to fit in all the windows in the summer, foil out. REALLY helps keep the boat cool and reduces AC bills.

Nice for privacy and keeping the saloon cooler in the summer.

We found the tint material is dark , and absorbes a hufe amount of heat , gets to 120F in the sun.

Something WHITE OUTSIDE the window area is the way the keep boats in FL cooler.

FF

Phil Fill....your pictures are truly gorgeous!!! My daughter is making our new curtains, we are having the seats redone at a Sarasota upholstery shop and we are having some traditional oriental runners made for the salon and aft cabin of our 1983 Marine Trader. We will post pictures of the before and after as soon as it all comes together. We love everything about what you have done.

Thanks! My wife likes to quilt/sew so she is good with matching colors and she made the bed cover also.* We have repainted/vanished/stained/texture almost the whole boat. We replaced all the light fixtures and the bath/galley sink faucets mostly with dirt/domestic. When we first bought the boat it had so much teak wood that we had to hide/cover some and it looked so stark/shippy so we brighten/lighten things up a bit. So we tried to pick color that went with the teak wood color.* The curtains and carpeting made the boat so much warmer and quieter.

Our Dinette cushions need to be recovered.* Maybe next winter as our grandchildren stay most of the summer and *stuff happens.*

Ditto to Phil on a beautiful interior. One method I used recently on some of the portals was a film that you can get from Lowes that applies to glass and it looks like leaded stain glass from the outside. There are several designs to choose from. We were having trouble finding an affordable covering for the heads and front cabin for privacy. The blinds available for marine use were a bit expensive. These portals were at an angle which did not lend themselves to curtains. We had used this product before at our home. I cut to fit and applied per instructions.
We had custom blinds ordered from Penny's we installed on the saloon side windows. The wife says she recommends guaranteedblinds.com these days for better quality and price.

Well.....here is a start to what we have accomplished, so far. It's hard to tell from these pictures, but this is just a preliminary pallet of what we are trying to accomplish. The first picture is of what was existing on our 34 foot Marine Trader when we purchased her. And the second picture shows the color scheme of where we are headed. It will be about 6 more weeks or so before we will have the salon, v berth and aft cabin put together.....but I'll post what the finished product is. Friends of ours are redoing their 36 foot at the same time, so we are having fun together!

Attachments

• salon.jpg
    salon.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_8482.jpg
    100_8482.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom