Cruise To Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hummmm- "Just don't spoil it before I get there". Almost sounds like it is all about :"Me".

Al Johnson

Funny you should say that, because as I was typing the same thought occurred to me.

However it was certainly not meant that way, so let me re phrase

"Just don't spoil it", or perhaps more succinctly ,"don't let it be spoiled"

Last edited:
AKFish,
When I mentioned fishermen helping to destroy Alaska I was basically referring to the sport fish guys that fly up to fishing lodges, kill all the fish they can, but them in a box and fly them home to Nebraska, Pennsylvania or wherever. Also the bear hunters don't know the difference between cubs and adult bears on POW Is. Some of the stuff the outside sportsmen are doing in AK is sickening.

tpbrady- sorry, missed earlier your post. Yep, the very best way in the fall for Annual medical visits,Costco shopping and those other thinks not available in our small town. 38 hours, wonderful time to visit with other Alaskans.
The ferry back is fairly light on visitors, Elerhouse(sp) groups perhaps,but in the main Alaskan enjoying what we all have come to love and consider our "Blue Canoes" a way of life.
We take the ferry first to Prince Rupert (6 hours) and drive down through British Columbia taking in the fall colors. That takes 20 plus of driving time (1000 miles) or more if golfing at every opportunity The highway is just supreme, traffic is sparse in the Fall. Then as described above, our return trip via ferry.

Markpiece:
Your last photo below:
232323232%7Ffp635%3C8%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D383299%3A7%3C3336nu0mrj
__________________depicts the corporate building of the company I was employed by for the last 25 years of my active employment years.
It is the two toned white and gray building with the two of the company tugs out front. You do have a knack with the camera.

25 years as a Super Cargo loading Log, lumber, pulp, ore ships from all over the world loading cargo all over Alaska from Dutch Harbor, Afognak,Yakatak,Wrangell, Klawock,Hydaburg,Ketchikan, Hawk Inlet, and many many at anchor sites including foreign fishing processors, Even did years as port agent with this company on the cruise ships and visiting yachts (The Big Ones!) when not on cargo vessel assignment. Great years, great times.

As to the purchase or sale of Alaska. A serious discussion regarding this subject was once a topic. Splitting Alaska at Yakatat South with all Southeast joining with British Columbia and Alberta to form either a State or a Province. It was an interesting discussion among some pretty savvy politicians. This was back in the Wally Hickel Governance. Nothing came of it yet many questions were raised.( I recall there being a considerable amount of "Hooch" involved to lubricate discussion!). as I recall The inference was the Anchorage area becoming even then, to big for it britches. (Sound familiar?) Any way, this is all most likely lost on the vast majority of the forum posters.

Al Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Al

We'll look you up next year when we put the boat in the water in Wrangell. Should hit Ketchikan in early May.

Tom

AKFish,
When I mentioned fishermen helping to destroy Alaska I was basically referring to the sport fish guys that fly up to fishing lodges, kill all the fish they can, but them in a box and fly them home to Nebraska, Pennsylvania or wherever. Also the bear hunters don't know the difference between cubs and adult bears on POW Is. Some of the stuff the outside sportsmen are doing in AK is sickening.

Eric, its a balance I think.

We boat out of Seward, along with several other TF members.

What I see is two sided. The charters load up every morning and go out fishing. Lots of party boats with probably 10 or 15 people fishing, each in search of a limit of halibut.

Halibut fishing, and even worse Ling Cod fishing is pretty pitiful within the day trip range of these boats. They kill all they see. Salmon fishing is different. Stocked salmon return in huge numbers and represent a resource that is replenished annually.

I do not like what the charters do and have done, and I see it every day at the harbor.

The other side is the jobs produced. Seward has what appears to be a thriving tourisim based economy. Lots of people at work earning a living in Seward. From the boat mechanics, to the boat cleaners, to the folks that own or work in businesses that support tourisim.

There is no good answer. The only answer is to create a sustainable harvest limit to insure long term viability of fish stocks. I'm not sure we're there yet, but I know the question is on everyones mind that enjoys or depends on that part of Alaska's ocean resources.

Kevin,
I don't mean to be argumentative about it but I disagree. Jobs are just jobs. If you've got 10000 or 100000 they are just jobs. Halibut, Ling Cod and Rockfish DID live in a balanced environment but no more. I don't see how they survive. They won't if this continues and that won't be balance. Nor will the human condition be balance. We need to control our numbers. Most of all those new human babies will consume a part of the earth and given enough babies humans will devour the earth like Locusts. That is indeed what is happening now.

Ten years ago there were less people in Seward and less jobs and more bottom fish. If in ten years w more people (imported to serve the increased jobs) there will be even fewer fish and the balance of fish to their environment will be anything but balance even though we have a balance of people and jobs. We are smart and know what's happening but too dumb to actually DO enough to move in the direction of real balance.

That is the human question. Will we ever belly up to the bar and get the job of balance done? That would be to revert our population to about 1950 levels. It dosn't appear promising.

Kevin,
I don't mean to be argumentative about it but I disagree. Jobs are just jobs. If you've got 10000 or 100000 they are just jobs. Halibut, Ling Cod and Rockfish DID live in a balanced environment but no more. I don't see how they survive. They won't if this continues and that won't be balance. Nor will the human condition be balance. We need to control our numbers. Most of all those new human babies will consume a part of the earth and given enough babies humans will devour the earth like Locusts. That is indeed what is happening now.

Ten years ago there were less people in Seward and less jobs and more bottom fish. If in ten years w more people (imported to serve the increased jobs) there will be even fewer fish and the balance of fish to their environment will be anything but balance even though we have a balance of people and jobs. We are smart and know what's happening but too dumb to actually DO enough to move in the direction of real balance.

That is the human question. Will we ever belly up to the bar and get the job of balance done? That would be to revert our population to about 1950 levels. It dosn't appear promising.

Interesting concept Eric. Less population = less pressure.

Can't say I disagree with the concept.... But it sounds like Soilent green to me.

Last edited:
"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

Agent Smith, The Matrix, 1999

Although I'm not sure if he ever visited Alaska or British Columbia...

Silent Green??

Wazzat?

It refers to a Science Fiction movie of the 1970's, about overpopulation, where humans are recycled into a food source called Soylent Green.

Eric:

Soylent Green: Soylent Green (1973) - IMDb

I suppose after you age to a certain point and realize that you are arriving at the end of life's conveyor belt thoughts tend to wander towards "What could have been or should have been".

My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery,
people would stop dying.
- Rodney Dangerfield

In the meanwhile Eric, I am attempting to upload some photos of our smaller trawler, a 18 foot Polsbo Skiff that has been modified to share. I believe you will be excited to view her.
I believe she will fall into your sphere of "What looks right is right" thinking.

Regards, Al

Al do tell ..........

Is a boat called a "Poulsbo boat"? Wine glass stern, plumb stem, bent oak ribs, 14 & 16' many w very small inbd engines.

Yes ..... a wonderful boat. Open w upswept sheer and srtip planked.

Please bring on the pics.

Eric, and all, Yes I will submit under General Discussion soon. Obtaining a lesson on uploading tomorrow from my very young computer Wizard.

Al

Cool. Look forward to it. I used to live around Poulsbo twenty some years ago. Used to see them on occasion.

My "chief" and I are considering joining up with the folks of Waggoner in their upcoming flotilla cruise to southeast Ak and would like to hear from others that may be making similar plans to participate. This seems to be a great opportunity to make new friends and explore new destinations one may not consider while cruising solo. Great time to get the boat out of winter layup in Poulsbo and make for the north!

Flotilla? I have heard it will be an Armada!!!. Up and down the coast boat harbors are preparing the waterfront much as the defenders against the Huns.
Joking of course:rofl:

It sounds as though, if this is the group that will be venturing about in June Seattle to Wrangell. After that it is billed as" Anybody to anywhere". We up here is Southern Southeast have heard numbers of 50 craft of various size and makeup.

My good friends in Wrangell are excited for the arrival. There is Stikine river jet boat rides that if chosen, will run to Telegraph 'Creek, 180 miles upstream. Something like 10 hours up and 6 hours back or less, bear watching at Anan Creek, great shrimp and crabbing abounds and for those who will miss their golf, a very challenging 9 hole course. The club house has plenty of rental clubs and carts. Rare opportunity to say you played golf in Alaska!!

The harbor crew are about the best you would desire and really try to accommodate boaters.

If you are an Elk or not, Saturday night steak night will be a enjoyable gathering.

We live on the waterfront out of Ketchikan heading North. About 9 miles by water. We are located on Pond Reef and fly a 12x18 American flag. When we know you are in the area, we will if not already flying, hoist her for your passing by.

Should you elect to do this trip. you will have the privilege of sharing an experience of boating "Freedom" of days gone by.

Regards and best to you choice.
Al
:flowers:

Damn!!!:facepalm: Now I see you are a neighbor!! Welcome through, we'll keep the light on!!
Al :angel:

Al Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Hey Al ! Was reading thru this thread and your signature caught my eye... had to go back and look to make sure it was you...LOL

Reactions: Al
Since the "Armada" schedule was announced, I've rescheduled my projected Ketchikan arrival/departure dates to ease the moorage demand.

Have also decided to immediately head out to the WC POW to avoid running into the "fleet" in the eastern ports.

Works for me.

Jay-:thumb: Even if that were not the reason, unless you have been there before, trust me that you will discover some of the most intriguing and wonderful natural bays, anchor niches, coves, and islands in the thousands that will demand your wonderment of discovery. Good choice for a summer maritime mostly secluded boating sanctuary.
Enjoy-
Al Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Al,

Wrangell is where we kept our boat this winter and where we will be for the next couple of years. I should see you in Ketchikan sometime this summer. Where is the schedule for the armada? My slip should be open since in June we will up around Juneau. Planning for July for the Prince of Wales Island area and into Ketchikan. If anybody wants to venture further north. Let me know.

Tom

Jay-:thumb: Even if that were not the reason, unless you have been there before, trust me that you will discover some of the most intriguing and wonderful natural bays, anchor niches, coves, and islands in the thousands that will demand your wonderment of discovery. Good choice for a summer maritime mostly secluded boating sanctuary.
Enjoy-
Al Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Thanks Al. I was joking a little about the "armada" and appreciate your response. West Coast POW is a special area among special areas. J

Al,

Wrangell is where we kept our boat this winter and where we will be for the next couple of years. I should see you in Ketchikan sometime this summer. Where is the schedule for the armada? My slip should be open since in June we will up around Juneau. Planning for July for the Prince of Wales Island area and into Ketchikan. If anybody wants to venture further north. Let me know.

Tom

Tom, this is the latest from The Waggoner website:

[Waggoner group #1: 5/18 Anacortes - 6/8 Ketchikan]
[Waggoner group #2: 6/1 Anacortes - 6/22 Ketchikan]
[Waggoner group #3: 6/14 Anacortes - 7/4 Ketchikan]

Jay

We live on the waterfront out of Ketchikan heading North. About 9 miles by water. We are located on Pond Reef and fly a 12x18 American flag. When we know you are in the area, we will if not already flying, hoist her for your passing by.

Al
:flowers:
Hi Al,

New Moon should be in KTN ~6/15, stopping for a day or two before heading north around POW toward Craig. We'll look for Slo Belle and the flag.

Situation here. I am on our backup computer unable to access boating sites bookmarked to give specific information on the "Armada" that is traveling specifically from Seattle to Wrangell Alaska during June. I do not believe it is the Waggoner cruise. That annual series of trips are a given, as well the Grand Banks annual SE Alaska float . This additional cruise is a single promotion.

Participating on this forum is the authors of a Puget Sound boating publication who post on a regular basis. I believe they carried detail on the voyage and how to contact.

As soon as I retrieve my main computer and if the post here has not been confirmed by knowledgeable parties, I will access, retrieve, and report in what detail possible.
regards,
Al

Some of the stuff the outside sportsmen are doing in AK is sickening.

Considering that all those "outside sportsmen" are being guided by residents, staying at lodges owned or run by residents, and packed onto head boats owned and operated by residents I think the locals take a fair share of responsibility for your sickness.

Greetings to the forum- Having retrieved my main computer from the computer wizards I am able to post the information site on the earlier mentioned cruise from Seattle to Wrangell, Alaska in June.

Salty Dog Rally ALASKA, Power Boat Rally Underway! June 2014 – Seattle, WA to Wrangell, AK – The Extra Salty Leg Ends in Juneau, AK - Salty Dog Waterfront News

Don't know where the "Slo~Belle" will be at that period however if in the Wrangell area will keep an eye out for the hulls on the horizon, flags waving, bands playing, and anticipated good times for all!!
Al

We are also going to Alaska this summer, assuming there is still space with all the groups. lol.

While we may see some of the groups and even join for certain events if things work out that way we're more freelancers rather than tying into a schedule. Plus we intend to take more time. We intend to take a minimum of six but probably closer to eight weeks, taking the inside north from Seattle and probably taking the outside back down, conditions allowing.

We never had the desire to go as we're really warm climate types, but once we started planning and reading more and more accounts we started to get very excited and really look forward to it now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom