The Mischief - Our Prairie 29 for sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flagold

Veteran Member
I'll put a message up in time on the other board, but just to let you know - the past year was filled with surgery, Dr.'s appointments and such, to the point we finally have to face reality that someone else will have to continue our cruise on the Mischief. It has been such a great experience, pleasure, and privilege to own this make of boat - it's like losing a pet, don't ever do it. Most ordinary people are familiar with the Prairie from the videos we did on the Florida "loop" and hopefully we did it a service by keeping interest in the line alive for many years to come (search: Prairie Economical Trawler or Great Loop Cruising Videos pulls most of them up). I would say the favorite operational feature for me is the draft - we have been able to beach the boat and go up creeks to safe water while others pounded it out in chop or storms on numerous occasions. It always brings us home safe. I could go on and on - but you all know how you feel about your Prairie. We had a great time cruising on the Mischief - no regrets.

The Mischief:
New Yanmar 4JHE installed 2008 - 436 hours
Force 10 stove
New Norcold DE0788B 12/120 refrigerator (past month)
Dual A/C - 5000 LG (a 2000 generator operates it an the boat on the hook) and 16,000 btu marine A/C (we use the 5000 - it cools the whole boat fine).
RayMarine autopilot
Dual 540S GPS on the upper and lower helm with depth. Matrix 12 backup on the lower station.
200' chain, Bruce anchor, Danforth secondary.
Bug screens throughout
New flooring upgrade (movie on that: How To Install Allure Marine Flooring How To Install Marine Flooring Prairie Economical Trawler - YouTube ).
Full beam fiberglass swim platform with ladder.
New bimini (green now)
Enough spares (filters, electrical, you name it, to do a loop trip)
100/100 water, fuel. New starboard tanks.
Hot water heater
2 props 4 & 3 blade. 4 installed.

We've put a price of $41 on it, I don't know if that's realistic or not realistic since I've not been able to keep up with any of that, maybe some of you would know. I'll try to get back here from time to time. Have fun and be safe cruising your boats!

Matt & Connie Mattson
flagold@gate.net youtube.com/flagold

Sorry to hear you have to give it up, I'm not looking forward to that moment.

Anyway, as I approach the end of my first season owning a Prairie, let me say someone is going to be VERY lucky to pick up where you left off. What a great line of boats that was!

Matt, So sorry to hear this news. We really enjoyed your videos' , they were entertaining and helpful. My wife is battling with Alzheimer and losing. The day is coming.

They are a remarkable boat, very easy to operate, seaworthy, comfortable as well as unique.

Good luck.

John

I remembered this video about your floors just after you posted it. Great work. I am sure someone will get a loved boat. Not only that but a diesel too! Looks like it would be a good solid buy, something someone could enjoy from day one.

Matt,

It was a pleasure corresponding with you a year or so ago when I was taking the plunge into purchasing my first trawler. Your videos were most enjoyable and informative; they helped motivate me to purchase my Vashon. I seriously considered a Prairie and know they are fine trawlers. My sincere best wishes to you and Connie--I know Mischief will find a good home!

Thank you all for the replies - let me assure all of you that Connie and I have merely hit a health speed-bump, but not the wall - we'll be just fine after everything gets sorted out a little. It looks like the Mischief has found a new home in Maryland, and thankfully we never had to really put it up for official sale. Our "big" boat will now be our trusty 1996 13' Whaler Dauntless . . . Enjoy your boats, they are special, and the very best wishes to all.

It looks like the Mischief has found a new home in Maryland, and thankfully we never had to really put it up for official sale. Our "big" boat will now be our trusty 1996 13' Whaler Dauntless . . .

So glad you found a good home for such a loved vessel. And what the heck, you can do a lot with a 13 ft. Whaler.

Attachments

• 13 ft. Boston Trawlette.jpg
    13 ft. Boston Trawlette.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 666
  • pimpwhaler.jpg
    pimpwhaler.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 741
Oh, by the way, somehow it seems I recall that several other nice 29's were sold in Baltimore. It's a great boat for cruising the rivers, tribs and bays of the Chesapeake.

Matt sorry to hear that you sold the Mischief, I started following you on the Supercub.org site. It seem to me that its a natural progression to move from slow planes to slow boats. You are the one that got my wife (she doesn't fly)and I thinking about doing the Loop. The 29 Prairie seems like its a great first boat for us. So we wish you the very best and hope to see a few more Videos. I really enjoyed the one you posted on your grandparents, it hit home. I grew up in Florida my family was in the citrus business too. Great Story!

Prairie 29: Any of you have them documented? or all state numbered? Any idea what the Net tonnage is? I see the displacement is 17000 lbs. (Which to my pea brain equals 8.5 tons) But the world of admeasurement is a funny, funny thing.

Anyone have the manufacturers info on this? Just trying to figure out if documentation is a possibility.

Last edited:
Prairie 29: Any of you have them documented? or all state numbered? Any idea what the Net tonnage is? I see the displacement is 17000 lbs. (Which to my pea brain equals 8.5 tons) But the world of admeasurement is a funny, funny thing. Anyone have the manufacturers info on this? Just trying to figure out if documentation is a possibility.

You can certainly document a Prairie 29. The DISPLACEMENT IS approx 12000lbs. I do not know net tonnage but 17k sounds plausible.

Yes, Documented at 12000 lbs. My hull has been documents since built.

John

Is your 29 still for sale? If so where are you located? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom