LiFePO4's & charging times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Just curious...can anybody give a ballpark figure how long it would take to charge a 360 amp hour LiFePO4 battery bank from 80% discharge with a 165 amp Balmar AT series alternator giving 100 amps at anchor (1000 rpm on the engine, 2000 rpm on the alternator) and 150 amps while cruising (2700 rpm on the engine and 5400 rpm on the alternator)?

As I understand it you can charge LiFePO4's full blast to 90% capacity, so that should speed things up quite a bit, and taking them down 80% "limits" their life to 2000 cycles compared to 5000 if only taking them to 50%.

(*newbie alert* be gentle with me if I've got this all wrong!)

Looking for loooong life and fast charging times from our battery bank because we use our boat like we used to sea kayak...staying several days at one location, moving to the next beautiful bay that might be only 5 miles away, then spending several days there photographing creeks, beaches and forest.

Thanks in advance,

Murray

Last edited:
Just got an email from Balqon about their HIQAP Series 700 amp hour battery, and they said,

Dear Murray,

The total amp hour capacity of the battery is 700 amp hours, at 50% depth of discharge DOD the total amp hour capacity you are trying to put back is 350 amp hours, therefore at 100 amp charging it will be approximately 3.5 hours. I hope I answered your question.

Cool. So pretty much wicked-fast at cruising speed.

Me-thinks we would get four 90 amp hour batteries though...maybe...

Send a PM to Ebaugh (Bob) or check his posts. He has lots of practical with LiFePO4 on boats.

Thanks for the tip. Did some snooping of previous posts, and did find some good info :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom