Decided not to ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Decided not to take the boat out today. The winds were whistling and howling at the marina. There were whitecaps from the winds crossing the quarter-mile-wide Mare Island Strait. Instead, we stayed on the Coot in its berth, eating homemade chicken-salad sandwiches and reading the Sunday paper and a book. Not that the Coot wasn't capable: we just wanted to have a comfortable and relaxing afternoon.

Last edited:
:thumb: We have done the same several times. Poor weather boating is the realm of a professional mariner and runs afoul of our definition of pleasure.

That must be a first, Capt Coot! How high would you estimate the winds?

:thumb: We have done the same several times. Poor weather boating is the realm of a professional mariner and runs afoul of our definition of pleasure.

I agree. Sounds like a sound and logical decision to me as well:thumb::thumb:

I used to go out that sort of weather when I got paid to do it.
Now that I'm doing it for fun, with "it" being motorcycle riding or boating, I don't do that nonsense if I can avoid it!!:rofl:

Chicken salad sandwiches.....:dance:

We've not gone out on the boat due to high winds and it's not because it's not fun to be out there, but it's difficult to get the boat back into the slip. We back in and the winds swirl around the boat that's side tied at our stern and the boat in the slip next to us.

Makes for some interesting experiences.

Decided not to take the boat out today. The winds were whistling and howling at the marina. There were whitecaps from the winds crossing the quarter-mile-wide Mare Island Strait. Instead, we stayed on the Coot in its berth, eating homemade chicken-salad sandwiches and reading the Sunday paper and a book. Not that the Coot wasn't capable: we just wanted to have a comfortable and relaxing afternoon.
Did my "C" school up at Mare Island Naval Training Center a few decades ago, beautiful area up there. Mare Island had a well earned reputation as having some of the best chow in the Navy. Would love to get back up there again.

I suppose it was blowing in the neighborhood of 25 knots. ... Wish the (now former) naval yard was still servicing submarines. Can't remember the last one I saw. (Yes I do: WWII-era Bowfin at Pearl Harbor some 7-8 years ago.)

Mark

You know the old saying about how boats can take conditions the owners either can't or simply won't. Chicken-salad and books... good choice! That's why we're called "pleasure boaters"! :thumb:

I made a trek to the boat on Sunday afternoon; and my anemometer registered a 38 knot gust earlier in the day. Winds on the San Joquin were howling at 20+ knots consistently. And those white caps were screaming "Stay in your slip!" Good choice, Mark. I'm sure it was just as bad in Vallejo.

Read in the newspaper that five big rigs were blown over Sunday due to winds gusting up to 75 m.p.h. near Tracy.

Alrighty folks....back on topic!!!

Remember....the OP was talking about using his superior judgement by staying in port so he did not have to use his superior skills?????!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom