Looking for a Prairie 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Based on your three selections, I'm guessing you're in a price range that whatever you end up with, will need some work. A boat that old will leak. Somewhere, somehow, over time the stresses take their toll on hatches, windows, and especially teak decks. If the PO kept after all the leaks as they appeared, you may be OK, but expect to keep up the vigil.

All the systems, engines, fuel tanks, wiring, electronics, fixtures, pumps, etc will be pretty old by now and either have been replaced, or will need it. Of those, engines and fuel tanks are probably the most expensive to fix. A good survey is a must.

Now that I've calibrated your expectations, I can say from personal experience that the Prairies were built like tanks. They did not have teak decks, although quite a bit of brightwork inside. I don't have the personal experience with the other two, so I won't comment.

Looks under Prairie and then under "Looking for a solid Prairie to buy" and you'll see some photos of my boat. Cadillac (772) 285-2266

Based on your boat choices, also don't forget about the 34 Californian....although most(all?) were twins.

I am a Previous P29 owner and I loved that boat!!!

Thanks. The Prairie did have new fuel tanks installed a few years ago and new windows. No inside trim was installed around the new windows. Also the motor claims to have 900 hrs. Still deciding whether to place an offer and for how much.

I own a P29. Purchased in 2010. Ended up spending time and energy then originally anticipated. Well worth it. She is powered with the Perkins 4108, with very low hours. Only took some time and lots of elbow grease to get her humming like a sewing machine.

We added new windows, about $2,000 grand and all new electronics. I paid less than $20,000 and am pleased with the boat. Suggest you consider a hard survey to insure the bones are good.

Good Luck,

John

Thanks. I called the boat owner tonight and left a message. Hope to hear back soon. Still, if anyone knows of others for sale please send me the information or alink. I understand a new owner will put in some work but rather have one that is in better shape. I plan on looking at it again as soon as he calls back.

I agree

The Prairie is a little high. Not sure on updates. I do like the flybridge extension. That is a must for me. Even if I can find a way to have one made and installed if a Prairie does not have it.

Question. Does anyone know the exact beam and draft of a 1980 29' Prairie. My current boat slip is in a narrow and shallow canal. My current boat drafts 2'-6" and has a 9'-11" beam. I know the Prairie is wider and deeper but by how much? Thanks.

Revisiting the boat this weekend. Will take lots of photos.

The P29 I own is a 1978 hull #7. She draws 3' or 2'9.5" exactly. Her beam is 12'

John

Question. If I repower a 29' Prairie. What horse power would be ideal so one could still easily work on it and have more power. The boat I am looking at has a 61 hp. I think it is under powered and would like to go a little faster.

1979, 1980 Prairie 29 engine size?

Was there a standard engine used? It seems that many variants were installed. Any documentation by hull number about original equipment? Just curious.

I am tracking down a 29 and before I trek down to see it, I wanted to be informed of the variants and what to share with my mechanic to make sure he has the right equipment to bring.

Perkins were used in the Prairie , not sure about Atlantic. The majority were powered with the Perkins 4-108, 4-236 or the 4-154. The 4-108 is a 52 HP 4 cyl. That is my power plant. It is a 4000 rpm max, but really performs best between 2500/3000. She has a BW 2.9 gear and swings a 18"x12". That is factory spec for my boat. The 4-236 is an 85 HP.

The ones I know that have been repowered are with Yanmar 75 HP engines. My top speed is 8k and I cruise very comfortably at 6.5 at 2500RPM. Fuel consumption is 3/4 of a gallon.

I am only the second owner, the original owner kept all the paperwork from the factory and passed it on with vessel.

How about engine bed rot and bulkhead delaminations? any great history? I know the campion adventurer I saw was BAD. Wondering (hoping) these were made more professionally.

Power Plant

Mine came with the standard 50 HP but I've repowered with an 80 HP Ford natural. No turbo or intercooler to go bad. Stringers are hollow fiberglass. Never a problem. Cadillac

Structurally the boats are well built. Mine had a small area of sub flooring near the stern of salon area. Was not difficult to isolate and replace. The salon doors are skimpy, again pretty straight fwd. to replace, same with windows. Mine had bad leaks in two big ones. not difficult.

If I were to repower, I would tend to follow Cadillac's lead. The present Perkins does not have any turbo, but 30 HP is a nice addition.

These are strong well built boats.

29'

Thanks, I replaced all my windows with tinted glass, more openings and fully screened. I also painted all exterior wood to make her a Florida friendly boat, easy to own and maintain. Love my boats :) Cadillac, Stuart, FL

@ LongIslandTrawler:

Any more activity? How did your decision making go? I'm curious.

I am going to take a look at the same Prairie you saw. Did you make an offer? If so would you mind sharing the insight? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom