Hello from Ft Myers FL.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josan89

Hello. I'm new to this forum. Been looking around for some information on Trawlers and boating in general. I do not own a boat, do not know much about boat, do not know much seamanship. So I've been looking for information in the web and I'm getting good information but I still have a lot of questions. I would like to know if you can suggest other resources (books, websites) that can help me understand better some of the following subjects:
  • What to consider on a budget to buy a boat and to maintain a boat.
  • Laws that regulate owning a boat, permits, taxes, fees, etc.
  • Seamanship or boat operation required to operate/own a boat.
  • Boat schedule maintenance and repairs.
  • Budget and preparations needed for sea voyage.
Before I decide if I'm going to go ahead with this new project, I want to know what I may be getting into so I could convince my First Mate (.

I'm not planning to do long cruises, mostly going around the between Fort Myers and Punta Gorda in Florida, and maybe anchor over night is some spot. I was thinking a used Trailable Trawler (Nimble Nomad have my attention right now...). Mostly want to learn about this and then decide if I go into deep waters (pun... well you know)

Thanks for your help

JV

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of people on here who can, and most likely will, respond to your questions. Since they have a lot more expertise than I do, I will defer to them with the exception of just one issue, on which I consider myself an expert. And that is is, yes indeed, DO convince your First Mate before going very far! :)

Welcome to the forum.

My father was born and raised on Captiva, and his ashes were scattered at Redfish Pass after his death. Beautiful area.

I spent many a summer on the island and go back when I can.

While not new to boating, I am new to the trawler and motorsailer world.

All the best.
Enjoy

OD

There is a lot of good cruising ground in your area including some of our favorite spots!

The Book Getting Started in Power Boating by Bob armstron has lots of information Published in 1990 some may be outdated, but there also lots avilable on this and other forums.
Welcome to the group If you ask individual questions on the General Discussion area of this site I am sure you will get lots of good information.

Josan,
We have a Nimble Nomad trawler and cruise the areas you are interested in. If you would like, drop me a PM and maybe you can come out and visit and see one in person to see if it would suit you.
Tom

I'd recommend that at some point you get a copy of Chapman Piloting and Seamanship, particularly if you decide to "dive in." One thing I've learned over the years is the difference between a dream and a nightmare is razor thin. The information you glean from Chapman's might help you stay on the "dream" side of the equation, most of the time anyway. Best of luck!

Josan, you could also look into enrolling in a local "basic seamanship and safety " course offered by the USCG Aux, or equivalent course offered by the US Power Squadron. Both you and your Mate. That'd give you some insight into details of basic operation, but it would also help you judge Mate's interest. And it sounds like you'll want that kind of instruction eventually anyway...

-Chris

There is a lot of good cruising ground in your area including some of our favorite spots!

The Book Getting Started in Power Boating by Bob armstron has lots of information Published in 1990 some may be outdated, but there also lots avilable on this and other forums.
Welcome to the group If you ask individual questions on the General Discussion area of this site I am sure you will get lots of good information.

Josan...:iagree:....this book by Armstrong is a great little "get your feet wet" resource...there is a 3rd edition published in 2005...Welcome aboard...

Thank you all for the information. I saw the book by Bob Armstrong in Amazon so I'm going to order it this week. Also found a Kindle edition of Power boat for dummies that I will get as well. OFF DUTY, thank you very much for the information you sent me. NIMBLE1 Thank you very much for you offer. I have seen some photos of your Nomad on Google and other fine examples. I will be around reading old post, and asking questions. Thank you all again.

The waters between Ft. Myers and Tampa in my opinion are some of the best cruising areas in FL. Enjoy.

There are trawlers available for charter in your area, you might give the boating life a test run and see if you like it. I love Charlotte Harbor. I can't imagine living in Ft Myers with out a boat or two.

That person you refer to as your First Mate is really the Admiral. You might as well learn this now.

Back
Top Bottom