Old 10-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
islandtimecruiser
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Craig - since we're doing some re-upholstery work and are planning on some canvas work, we've experienced how a "regular" sewing machine just doesn't have the "horsepower" to sew through thicker materials. We're actually using a friend's industrial sewing machine that's about 20 years old, and even it has problems now and then. Other friends who own or have used a Sailrite say they are definitely worth it. Of course, that all depends on just how much you plan on using one...
I bought a Sailrite sewing machine almost 2 years ago when we bought our trawler. I had a regular home sewing machine that I had tried to use on boat projects (that's about all I ever sew). I can tell you the Sailrite has more than paid for itself. I've made sun shades for all the windows and doors (Phifertex is really easy to sew), Sunbrella forward hatch and aft door covers, grill covers, and dinghy outboard motor cover

I made Phifertex sun shades for our boat. It comes in 75% and 90% light reduction. I tried a couple of window made of the 75% Phifertex and in the Florida sun it just didn't keep us cool enough. Now we have 90% on all the windows and it works well for us.

Gina
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote