Temporary Documentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbum29

Guru
After 5 months I've received my temporary Documentation paper.

It says that it's valid for 1 year.

Can I now receive a current registration sticker?

Your documentation is only good for a year and you will get a renewal document a year from now. It's free and comes in the mail.

If you're talking about a state registration sticker, you should check with a local DOL office for that info.

You will get your "real" papers in a few weeks. I just got mine. The temporary numbers are not the same as your final number will be.

Last edited:
If the boat was ever documented, that number stays with the boat.

The registration sticker is a state-specific thing. If they require proof of documentation, the temporary letter should serve.

The number on your temporary is NOT the number you want to grind into your hull, it is a short and temporary number. The real number is much longer and is permanent, wait for your final documentation paperwork to come in. I compared the two numbers I got, the temp was 5 numbers long, the final is 7. Once your final paperwork is delivered, the number will never change again as long as the boat lives, or so I understand. If it was ever documented, the number is on record somewhere and shouldn't ever change. I imagine part of the process is them checking to see if any past documentation occurred, along with title search, etc...

I got my temp paperwork on July 29, and final in the middle of October. The date for expiration is one year from the issue date of the final Documentation. Just so you know how long it probably will be before you se the next letter from the USCG.

I got my temp paperwork on July 29, and final in the middle of October. The date for expiration is one year from the issue date of the final Documentation. Just so you know how long it probably will be before you se the next letter from the USCG.

Since we are moving, guess I have to file an address change. Another delay I guess.

I just got my renewal letter from the USCG two days ago. The expiration date is Nov 31, so I have 5 weeks to get it back to them.

I signed the form, took a picture of it with my phone's Camscanner app which records it as a pdf file and emailed the pdf to the CG. The whole thing took 10 minutes. Other options for response are fax or snail mail.

Back
Top Bottom