Feels Like Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mid-60's here today, no wind, no clouds, nice bright sun. Good boating weather.

Cool here... bunk is preheating. :)
Last night I ran the propane heater for a few hours to keep off the chill. Third time this season though the first two times were early morning dampness more than cold if that makes sense....

I am so looking forward to heading south. The circulation isn't what it once was -- heck, nothing is! -- so that's why the comforts such as a 12-volt 35-watt electric blanket make my life nice. There's nothing like a warm bunk, a fresh book on the Kindle and a calm night at anchor.

This retirement thing is awesome!

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat
Janice aboard Seaweed welcomes you to my world...

Cool here... bunk is preheating. :)
Last night I ran the propane heater for a few hours to keep off the chill. Third time this season though the first two times were early morning dampness more than cold if that makes sense....

I am so looking forward to heading south. The circulation isn't what it once was -- heck, nothing is! -- so that's why the comforts such as a 12-volt 35-watt electric blanket make my life nice. There's nothing like a warm bunk, a fresh book on the Kindle and a calm night at anchor.

This retirement thing is awesome!

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat

Nice blog. $12. a day?

Nice blog. $12. a day?

Well, actually it's nudging up a bit as folks have been kind enough to buy thru my Amazon links and 6% comes back to me once per month. That's pretty nifty from my standpoint. Still, when I read the CruisersForum thread on $500 per month I think "gosh, that'd be great" to have that much.

However beachbum I noticed your boat picture and I've got a secret for you (insert laughter) those throttles do not have to go all the way forward don't 'cha know! I poke along a little at a time and anchor out almost always so really, it's just fuel, one haul-out every three years (I scrape my own hull or hire a kid) so it's not that pricey. Food of course is a given but I do a lot of canning (meats primarily, along with lasagne, taco soup and this year I'm going to try stuffed manicotti shells too)

There are times when I do hanker for a marina (water is a real physical problem -- hauling same) so after the engine swap next year I'll see if I can save enough to give Seaweed her own watermaker.

Really though, what more do I need? I have my own home, and now a Kindle so I won't run out of books, fuel in the tanks, water too, food in the lockers and well, life is superb. Right now the wind is blowing, the computer is playing Benny Goodman thru the boat speakers and life really is superb.

Get your Great Harbor and come on out and play. It is marvelous and as long as your boat is set up to provide it's own power, really marinas can be a special treat versus a necessity. For Seaweed in the goal to be ever more comfortable afloat I've added an Air-Breeze, Lewmar windlass, and so far 275 watts of solar.

The eventual goal includes 200 more watts of solar, more batteries (have 450 bank now) and a watermaker. Oh, and 150' more of 1/4" G4 (have 100' but that's not quite enough) ... anyway, it's all good out here.

Good luck. And have fun, 'cause that's what this boating life is supposed to be. I live simply but well aboard my Seaweed, and certainly no other boat would make me happier. Even if tomorrow I was fabulously wealthy I'd keep Seaweed and just make her better.

That's probably a result of growing up on one boat... we just kept making oru home better and to me it is natural to take one with good bones and improve her. Goodness knows Seaweed was not capable of supporting me in comfort when I first bought her, but she's coming right along. A few more years and she'll be even better.

I can't wait! :)

Janice aboard Seaweed

Yea, I try and keep those throttles pulled back.

We've made a choice to find another boat within the next few years and hopefully shove off.

I admire your tenacity and keep up your great life!

November 2nd @ 1:20 pm on our front porch. Unusually warm for this time of year. Doubtful we'll see the indicator in a similarly high position til May 2014, subject to the house burning down in the interim.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 86
Blowing like crazy out there. 25-35 knot winds from the N-NE. Highs only in the very low 60's today.

Seas are 10-13', ICW very rough. Almost have whitecaps here in the harbor.

Marina filled up with folks hunkering down until this passes.

Last edited:
Doubtful we'll see the indicator in a similarly high position til May 2014, subject to the house burning down in the interim.
It seems nice here!

Attachments

• San Diego.jpg
    San Diego.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 77
Walt, it is those lows that are such a horror. Tonight will be our first night to go below 60º this fall.

You fellows make me laugh... spoke this morning with a friend aboard a 40' sailboat currently anchored in Annapolis. The wind was blowing 30 knots and the temperature was about 30 degrees as well. They are heading offshore and south when weather permits.

That's too cold for me. Brrr.

Not sure what the temperature is here in Carrabelle but it's not warm in the wind. Out of the wind in the sunlight is pleasant. I had the back of the boat opened most of the afternoon before the tide changed and within the past half hour the north winds have abated. That should help put some water back in this river -- the river itself is fine but between me and shore are a couple of oyster beds and a sandbar.

Batteries are full and life is good. Still, I'll be lighting the Catalytic heater shortly to keep the chill off the air. Stay warm folks!

It was 36 at 8 am. Very cold for Florida. Glad my heaters are working great!

Calling for a high of 64 today. Yikes.

I hope Janice and Skipper stayed warm last night.

I hope Janice and Skipper stayed warm last night.

Well, about that... you see a couple years back I bought a Weather station from Amazon with an outdoor temperature gauge. I put it inside the refrigerator so I can monitor the temperature in there without opening the door.

This is the one I bought: httphttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OSSH9G/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003OSSH9G&linkCode=as2&tag=janice142-20
(It has the advantage over the ones sold at Walmart in that it is readable from all angles, and not just right in front of it like the cheaper ones -- in case you're curious)

Anyway, this morning it was WARMER in the reefer than in the galley!
At night I bring my catalytic heater down below and close off my cabin to keep it toasty over night. And with all the glass (Seaweed is a mite drafty too) well, the galley chilled down. Within an hour it was up into the 60's (which is still cold in my book) but by 10:30 it was 69 which is acceptable.

The MOST EXCELLENT AND FABULOUS NEWS is though, that my engine parts have been located (all of them) and the company in England will ship to the US -- so by this time next week things should be making progress toward escape! Carrabelle's nice but after four months I'm almost stir crazy. It's too long to be in one place - especially a cold one.

Still, when I came back to the boat this afternoon I noted a white pelican sitting on the sandbar so that was nice. I've not seen one before here. I wonder if those poor folks who live on dirt actually take the time to see the world outside their window or does it become routine with no more than a cursory glance? It seems like I'm always looking at stuff with the binoculars.

Anyway, today is an excellent day. My parts will be heading this way (hopefully tomorrow but most likely on Tuesday) and then, finally, this show can get on the road. I'm ready to go although the weather isn't looking promising.

What is wrong with some men leaving when the weather is predicted to be miserable? When I listen on the VHF and hear the words "we've seen worse" I know the trip is not comfortable! Isn't the whole point of owning a boat and cruising, for pleasure?

End mini-ramble. Life's great in Carrabelle and I'll soon have parts. Yeah!!!!!
I'm trying to control my happiness but Kidlet's at her in-laws and nobody's around to share the joy so I'm here. Happy Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, about that... you see a couple years back I bought a Weather station from Amazon with an outdoor temperature gauge. I put it inside the refrigerator so I can monitor the temperature in there without opening the door. This is the one I bought: httphttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OSSH9G/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003OSSH9G&linkCode=as2&tag=janice142-20 (It has the advantage over the ones sold at Walmart in that it is readable from all angles, and not just right in front of it like the cheaper ones -- in case you're curious) Anyway, this morning it was WARMER in the reefer than in the galley! At night I bring my catalytic heater down below and close off my cabin to keep it toasty over night. And with all the glass (Seaweed is a mite drafty too) well, the galley chilled down. Within an hour it was up into the 60's (which is still cold in my book) but by 10:30 it was 69 which is acceptable. The MOST EXCELLENT AND FABULOUS NEWS is though, that my engine parts have been located (all of them) and the company in England will ship to the US -- so by this time next week things should be making progress toward escape! Carrabelle's nice but after four months I'm almost stir crazy. It's too long to be in one place - especially a cold one. Still, when I came back to the boat this afternoon I noted a white pelican sitting on the sandbar so that was nice. I've not seen one before here. I wonder if those poor folks who live on dirt actually take the time to see the world outside their window or does it become routine with no more than a cursory glance? It seems like I'm always looking at stuff with the binoculars. Anyway, today is an excellent day. My parts will be heading this way (hopefully tomorrow but most likely on Tuesday) and then, finally, this show can get on the road. I'm ready to go although the weather isn't looking promising. What is wrong with some men leaving when the weather is predicted to be miserable? When I listen on the VHF and hear the words "we've seen worse" I know the trip is not comfortable! Isn't the whole point of owning a boat and cruising, for pleasure? End mini-ramble. Life's great in Carrabelle and I'll soon have parts. Yeah!!!!! I'm trying to control my happiness but Kidlet's at her in-laws and nobody's around to share the joy so I'm here. Happy Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving Janice. I enjoy reading your blog and your posts about your travels. Glad you are finally getting underway again!

>Isn't the whole point of owning a boat and cruising, for pleasure? <

PLEASURE has different meanings for different folks , some folks like a challenge , and Victory at Sea on the tape deck.

Waiting for smooth water is frustrating for some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feels like winter here in Kansas to, I'am back home for the holidays but will go back to the boat next week. The Two Rivers Boat Club Christmas party is next Saturday, after that I'll winterize the water, waste & reverse cycle units. That'll be the end of the 2013 boating season & the countdown to March for the beginning of another year on the river. We are supposed to be in the 40f to mid 50f here thru next week, so far fall hasn't been bad, getting thru January & February are the worst here especially if we get much snow & ice that stay around for more than a few days. Janice I really hate to think I would have to crawl into the fridge to warm up.

Thanks cardude1... I have fun with the site.
And finally it's warmed up. Yesterday the tree went up and all the decorations as well (or mostly) so it's festive again. The music is such a treat (Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Louis Armstrong and more -- plus the Christmas radio shows are fun too.

It's good that the cold snap appears to be over. Everything that's ever been hurt over the years aches in the cold. And Thanksgiving Day my Skipper felt the spirit and Baptised herself. In other words she didn't quite make the jump from dinghy to the swim platform. She's not her most attractive when wet:

TdayBath.jpg

She's cute beachbum... and very fluffy too. What's her name?

Winter means closing all the boat's doors while underway except the top half of one pilothouse door.

Winter is creeping up slowly but surely, this view from my window this morning shows a couple of hardy locals braving the ice to get to sea, I think I'll stay put today!:thumb:

Attachments

• DSC_0035 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0035 - Copy.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 73
Damn! Skinny Dippin' was a little pissy as she started up yesterday. Sigh... I fookin' hate the winter now. Before the boat, it was fine... but now?......... Now it SUCKS!

Before the boat, it was fine... but now?......... Now it SUCKS!
I agree completely used to work outside year round & was used to it, I've retired & turned into a wuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom