Who Wears Safety Gear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought Seaweed 5.5 years ago and over time have added a lot to make her more comfortable. For a soloist, she's just about perfect (except for the stuff that needs fixing)

The family home (was conceived, born and raised aboard a 40' sedan cruiser) was all I knew until I grew up and married a land lubber. (What was I thinking?!?) It was natural that I'd return to the water. Because I knew that over time boats can be remade into what you wish, I was not afraid to buy a boat that wasn't totally suitable and have had a lot of fun making her mine.

There is absolutely nothing so fine as life aboard, provided you pick the right boat to start with. Any ideas about what your Dream Boat will be? And where will you cruise?

I'm having a current obsession with the Great Harbour Trawlers. Plenty of space, stand up engine room, twin 54hp Yanmars and excellent fuel burn with long range capability.

We want to do the islands for extended periods and the Okeechobee Waterway. Come back enough to see the grandbabies and make sure our business is still ok.

I've been on a couple of Great Harbor's and on Irony (an amazing Florida Bay -- steel!) ... they are amazing boats and definitely personify spacious. I remember on one Great Harbor the wife was an artist and she'd painted little leaves near the switches. It was just a touch, but so lovely. Another owner showed me his full sized stacking washer drier under the stairway to the pilothouse level. I remember his galley was gorgeous too. He also couldn't dock it very well but having seen others handled well that was a reflection of an owner who had not put in the time to learn maneuverability.

I shouldn't run on about it as I'll be getting the new engine this coming week (provided the trucking company gets it from JAX and I'm still waiting for pick-up) so I'll have to again learn how Seaweed handles with a different power train. Presuming the prop will work too without being re-pitched.

Ah well, it's just money.
Besides, to have a diesel I'll be beyond pleased. Today I was talking with a 14k pound Catalina 34 who also has a 23hp diesel. He tells me he gets 12 miles to the gallon so since Seaweed is just 7k... well, we shall see. My friend on a DeKlaut (DeKlot?) 27' sailboat weighing the same as mine burns one pint per hour at 6 knots. We shall see.

Good luck. I remember having a friend who owned a house on the Halifax River over there by Ormond (perhaps in?) on the ocean side of the river ... he did have a dock. The couple owned a trimaran then moved to a power boat when the tri sunk off-shore.... cannot remember the brand now of MV. That was a long time ago.

Just look at the coast guard, law enforcement and any marine contractors they all wear PFD's anytime they are on the water.

Must be a reason?

I'm new here, but maybe I can shed some light on this question...Regs and insurance coverage.

As a retired LEO, former Coastie, and a government contract instructor, I can say that all of the agencies I've every been involved with, required use of a PFD as a routine matter.

That said, SOP's aside, if you're not rigged up and sustain an injury or disability as a result of going overboard (anything from hypothermia to pneumonia and infection), you'll play heck getting your WC benefits from the agencies insurance carrier, or the governing body if they're self insured.

We generally wear a tactical vests or inflatables when working or training.

Oh, and hello everyone.:hello:
Thanks allowing me to come aboard.

OD

Last edited:
Anyone else do this?

Yes. Always. Anyone going outside when the boat is moving must wear a PFD. We have Mustang Inflatables for ourselves and guests. We always wear our PFD's in the locks and while maneuvering around docks. Everyone wears a PFD in the dingy and the kayaks at all times.

For me, it's just like putting on a seat belt when I drive a car.

Greetings,
Mr. OD. Welcome aboard.
Much food for thought. Thanks to all contributors thus far. Further to "safety gear" and I fully appreciate what was initially posed as the question, might I expand the topic to include appropriate "gear" other than PFD's? How many religiously don safety glasses, respirators, masks, gloves etc. when the need arises?
The reason I bring this up is I remember a posting (picture) some years ago where a member's young son was in a confined area drilling a hole. He stood there, his body through a counter top proudly holding a drill with a smile on his face. Commendable he was able to help dad in repairs BUT, no safety glasses! When I questioned the OP regarding same, the response was "He was only drilling one hole". Not a good lesson for a youngster to learn IMO.
Having spent my working life in various industrial settings, the first thing I thought of when approaching ANY task was "What protection do I need?" Still my first thought in retirement. Please keep this foremost in your minds folks. Only drilling one hole? How many pairs of eyes do you have?
Thanks.

Cracked a set of safety glasses with a screw one time. Didn't file a warranty claim. Did sit down and had a drink, actually two drinks.

Marty

I'm having a current obsession with the Great Harbour Trawlers. Plenty of space, stand up engine room, twin 54hp Yanmars and excellent fuel burn with long range capability.

We want to do the islands for extended periods and the Okeechobee Waterway. Come back enough to see the grandbabies and make sure our business is still ok.

I am a big fan of the Great Harbor Trawlers but I have always thought of them as coastal cruisers. By islands do you mean the Florida islands or the Caribbean islands. If Caribbean, you may want to confirm the Great Harbor's sea keeping ability. Five foot plus waves on the beam are normal.

Marty

I am a big fan of the Great Harbor Trawlers but I have always thought of them as coastal cruisers. By islands do you mean the Florida islands or the Caribbean islands. If Caribbean, you may want to confirm the Great Harbor's sea keeping ability. Five foot plus waves on the beam are normal.

Marty

Mainly the Bahamas. You can charter one during the nonhurricane season.

Greetings,
Mr. BP. Thank you. Probably deserved those drinks. At least you could SEE them!

Amen to that!
While in L.E., I conducted a lot of training involving things that go boom and send little tiny projectiles down range at high speeds lol
I've seen what a failure and fragmentation can do, and never wanted to be on the receiving end of that!
Also served as a motor cop for quite a number of years, and always wore wraps to keep the sand and grit out of my eyes. To this day, I still wear Polly Carbonite wraps on a daily basis for eye protection.

Recently assisted a friend of mine in sanding and bottom painting his sailboat.
Would not consider doing any of the work without safety glasses and at least a mask.
for what it's worth, I even wore long sleeves and long pants and a crew neck to keep the dust off most of my body.

I figure that God gave me one set of everything. Some of it I could probably do without if necessary.
other things like lungs and eyes, well that's a different story.

Thank you for the kind welcome by the way.
for the majority of my life I have been a powerboat guy, mostly small go fasts and boats under 26 feet.

As I get older, the lure of the trawler and motor sailer become much more appealing.
I sort of liken it to the transition from the Kawasaki 1000 police motorcycle to the Harley Davidson Road King.
the Kawasaki sits there at idle and buzzez, taunting you, daring you, let's go faster!!

However, when you throw your leg over the Harley, you can feel life's pace start slowing down. Your blood pressure and pulse inevitably drop.
The steady thump thump, and rumble of the engine, combined with the ever present although considerably minimized in the newer models, shaking of the motorcycle, says "hey!
Slow down, enjoy the sights, and lets get this thing done.:)

I have a lot to learn about both the motor sailer and the trawler, & I hope To learn a great deal from those of you here with the experience.

Thank you again, and here's wishing everyone safe travels.

OD

Last edited:
Come about 180 for your compass heading, call the Coast Guard, and backtrack. Alert the victim with short blasts of your horn every minute.

My wife wears hers all the time when coming and going from the dock.

We both wear them when locking through as that is a requirement not sure whether USCG or Lock requirement, but we dont argue as that water can swirl pretty good when filling. Have 7 locks to go through this weekend as we head south on the TenTom so the jackets will be on.

Also when securing the tender on the hip or when seas are up we wear them along with the dog.

Molly wears one.

ForumRunner_20131024_172023.jpg

Interesting turn of topic to other types of safety gear. I've never considered wearing safety glasses while drilling a hole. I'm going to have to ponder that one. I've certainly donned various types of gear for various projects, some that others might consider overkill. Other times I've done stupid things when I should have has more gear on. Same applies for riding a motorcycle. While I agree with "all gear all the time" I've also been on a bike in shorts and flip flops and shudder at the memory. I can honestly say I've never had a boating experience that I look back on and feel I was stupid for not having a PFD on. If I had any doubts or concerns, I've worn one.

Re man overboard, good food for thought on that topic. We boat on narrow waterways so I could easily retrace my course to look for my husband if I lost him. Hopefully I'd find him sitting on a berm waiting for me. Scary to think about.

I can honestly say I've never had a boating experience that I look back on and feel I was stupid for not having a PFD on.
Do you wear a PFD when you are on a jet ski, dinghy or paddle board? How about a kayak?

LOL I'm scared of jet skis and hate kayaks. Paddleboards and dinghies, depends how far from the mothership I will be. :) I got a waist pack PFD for use in the paddleboard. Love that.

Attachments

• IMG_4459.jpg
    IMG_4459.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 81
  • SeaHorse & Kayak.jpg
    SeaHorse & Kayak.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 86
Skipper wears hers:

SkipperOnSwimPlatform.jpg

She's trained to use the swim platform as her "outside" which works great for an easy clean-up. When the current is kicking she wears the life preserver and is snapped on to the center-line davit post (I have a leash that will allow her to both ends but not off the platform. Still, periodically she Baptizes herself. At night always both the life preserver and the leash -- I worry about owls and there are eagles about too that might think her a tasty morsel.

I don't wear a life jacket when in Algae (Skipper does) though I used to but no longer have use of one of the little inflatables since I moved to this coast. Maybe I'll buy myself one for Christmas. That said I'm not out in anything but benign conditions. Otherwise I stay home.

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat
http://janice142.com/

When I questioned the OP regarding same, the response was "He was only drilling one hole". Not a good lesson for a youngster to learn IMO.

Aw RT, don't tell me you've joined the "overprotective" crowd! In some parts of the world 4-year-olds chop coconuts with razor sharp machetes and hardly ever lose a body part. Some parents let their kids jump over the side in bad weather, some give their kids an AK or an RPG for their 14th birthday.

Lighten up man, unless you kill the kid the insurance company will buy him a new photonic eye implant in a few years.

I guess some of you guys never rode a bike without a helmet? C'mon...let's be realistic.

Troy wears one.

Attachments

• Troy_at_sea.jpg
    Troy_at_sea.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 89
"Safety" grew tentacles and one is risk management. Drilling slow below you is different than drilling above you.

Walking around the decks in broad daylight in protected warm waters is different than at night, in the ocean when it's January.

Absolute rules are for people who aren't experienced to a given level or for people who can't manage risks.

"Safety" grew tentacles and one is risk management. Drilling slow below you is different than drilling above you.

Walking around the decks in broad daylight in protected warm waters is different than at night, in the ocean when it's January.

Absolute rules are for people who aren't experienced to a given level or for people who can't manage risks.

Or your age, flexibility, how strong of a swimmer you are.

Makes perfect sense.

This weekend, I used the dingy between boats and boat-to-dock in a protected harbor without putting PFD on. (I store non-inflatables on the dink.) When I crossed Raccoon Straight in a dink, my passengers and I wore inflatable PFDs. Wouldn't have crossed without them.

If I'm sanding wood - no safety glasses. If I'm grinding metal, safety glasses are worn.

Evaluate your circumstances and experience and risks and act accordingly. Would I let my kid drill a hole in wood or drywall without glasses? Sure...and so did my Dad and Grandfather. I'm still here with both eyes.

Placing one's tongue in one's cheek can lead to an owie too ...

I'm feeling kind of queasy ...

Hazards are real. Risks are constructs usually defined by likely hood and consequence. It is the risk management and minimizing exposure that most people fail at.

Back
Top Bottom