Feels Like Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate you! :banghead:

Almost time to haul the boat for the winter.

It's good to be at 38-degrees-north latitude. That allows boating on/around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve.

Last edited:
BB, you ought to try it over on this side of the State. Since July 1st, this place has been a rain forest. I've never been so glad to have my boat 4 hours away from me (Stuart on the east coast).

BB, you ought to try it over on this side of the State. Since July 1st, this place has been a rain forest. I've never been so glad to have my boat 4 hours away from me (Stuart on the east coast).

It's been raining like crazy over here to. Poured last night and this morning. Was misting outside awhile ago.

This ENE wind has a chill in it like it's winter.

I've never been a huge fan of the left coast of Florida.

We've had frosty grass in the mornings and snow on the mountains around town for the last week. I love it here :)

It's well below 100(mid 70's to 80's) obviously indicating winter is firmly entrenched in California. If this keeps up we may need to buy a sweater.

85 and sunny on the TN / MS border although the leaves are turning a beautiful red / orange and the water was like glass this evening.

Tonight temps down to 65 so no AC --- :)

Heavy frost 2 days this week in central Ontario. Haul out is next Thursday and there are already a bunch of boats on the hard and snow birds heading for Florida. :cry:

We had 33C = ~ 90F I think the last few days, and this is the 1st month of spring for us. They tell us we are in for a hot, dry summer - bugger - I don't like heat much, but it is nice never having to winterise the boat - in fact winter is often the nicest boating weather for us here in Queensland.

Well we hit 32 degrees with a 28 knot Westerly today and the first local bush fire , almost lost our lighthouse. Photo two, the lighthouse from a different angle a few weeks ago.

The amazing thing was we all, every one within a certain radius of the fire, got an automated warning from the volunteer bush fire brigade on our mobile(cell)phone, including all the boats in this picture. Never had one of those before.

Attachments

• bush fire sept1, wooden boat 016.jpg
    bush fire sept1, wooden boat 016.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 104
It's a new policy Andy, coming after the loss of life in recent fires. Up here in Qld, they now do that for threatened flash flood and cyclone as well.

Today was my first day in jeans for a long time here in MS / TN with a high of 70 and light showers.

Nice to not have AC on all the time.

Well we hit 32 degrees with a 28 knot Westerly today and the first local bush fire , almost lost our lighthouse....
The amazing thing was we all, every one within a certain radius of the fire, got an automated warning from the volunteer bush fire brigade on our mobile(cell)phone, including all the boats in this picture.
Photo 1 taken from Coasters Retreat/Basin?
I hear the fire had human origins, accidental or intentional unknown so far.
Firefighters successfully entered the roof space of one historic lighthouse building to extinguish a fire caused by ember attack. Gutsy firefighter work.

"Winter" is coming as you can see, Spanky has started growing his cold weather fur, much needed here in Southern California.

Attachments

• Catalina Pictures 2013 Sept 003.jpg
    Catalina Pictures 2013 Sept 003.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 81
While at the marina yesterday, saw about 20 honking geese overhead in perfect "V" formation flying south.

It has rained hard all day today. We must have about 2". Wind is forecast to reach 100kmh tonight, so it is batten down the hatches weather. The ferry from Saltspring to the mainland is sitting in dock in Long Harbour, sailing cancelled till tomorrow. So yes, winter is on its way.

Opened up the boat yesterday and it felt great. Been here since Thursday but now it's back to the real world.

Got a lot accomplished though with some needed work, checking out some systems and making a game plan.

Got stood up by another mechanic so the admiral wins, I will do the majority of the needed repairs and upgrades.

Got stood up by another mechanic so the admiral wins, I will do the majority of the needed repairs and upgrades.

All I can say is that getting people, even low quality people, has been shamefully difficult since returning to FL in 2010. I haven't tried here on the left side of FL yet, but I will be starting next month. I've been stood up four times by the same paint guy.....very talented roll and tip guy, but impossible to get. No matter how good they are, they're no good if they don't show up. I don't remember it being like this in Maryland.

All I can say is that getting people, even low quality people, has been shamefully difficult since returning to FL in 2010. I haven't tried here on the left side of FL yet, but I will be starting next month. I've been stood up four times by the same paint guy.....very talented roll and tip guy, but impossible to get. No matter how good they are, they're no good if they don't show up. I don't remember it being like this in Maryland.

This is the exact reason I refuse to build anymore.

Temps got down in the 50's last night and predicted only the low 70's today.

Very cold for this time of the year.

Just like NJ...last week we were bitchin about the heat....:D

Down in the 40's up here in Northern Florida. Time to change to winter uniform (sweat pants).

Attachments

• Weather.jpg
    Weather.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 106
Foggy in Roche Harbor today. Crossing Haro Strait in pea soup yesterday required a close watch for tankers, freighters and ferries doing 20 knots. Glad to have AIS and radar working, looks like the same today returning to BC.

Crossing Haro Strait in pea soup yesterday required a close watch for tankers, freighters and ferries doing 20 knots. Glad to have AIS and radar working.
Hope you have Jan at the helm in conditions like that! :hide: :D

We're enjoying the cool weather in Florida. It is 70 degrees F and 53% humidity right now--supposed to get down to the 60s later in the week. I love boating during our winter months. Summer in Florida can be absolutely brutal on the water (A/C but no generator); fans just blow hot air around and the humidity makes mold a problem. Generator may be next year's project.

What is this "winterization" everyone is talking about? :socool:

What is this "winterization" everyone is talking about? :socool:

For us in the soon to be frozen Northeast, it's putting your boat to bed on dry land, downing ever larger daily doses of 80 proof anti-freeze and booking plane and lodging reservations for February (cabin fever month) somewhere way far South of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom