genset help........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ratzo ritzo

My genset shut itself down and would not start back up. It turns over but would not fire. We checked fuel system and found out that the*fuel shut off solenoid was not enganging, so we removed it and tested it and found it worked, so the problem must be electrical? Removed the relays in the control block and found them to be clicking when we applied power, so basicly we cannot figure out where the problem lies. We bypassed the control system to the solenoid and the engine ran fine. Any and all help would be appreciated.

northern lights 5kw
m643

Mosy likely* an automatic shutdown from one of the safety devices* Low oil pressure, high water temp ,low oil level

Sounds like a bad stop solenoid. I just replaced one that would not always engage to stop main engine.

The solenoid is not recieving power from the control box, we bypassed the control box and it works fine. It could potentially be one of the saftey devices, but the engine runs fine.

RR, The boards on these units often go bad and the only way you will know for sure is to either hire someone that has the tools and expertise to check it or get your hands on a new board and swap it out. Anything else at this point is pure speculation. Chuck

RR,
I would think your bypass button you hold down when starting is suspect. It allows you to run until you get oil pressure, then you release it. It would have to send a signal to your logic card telling it to energize the run solenoid. Seems that my NL has a schematic under the cover of the square control box. This might help.

N/L offers a terrific DVD that takes you through the step by step trouble shooting procedures particular to their generators.* I got mine at a N/L dealer, and it really makes trouble shooting simple.* I'd give you mine, but I already gave it away to a friend, sorry...............Arctic Traveller

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom