Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #19
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
After reading the Active Captain treatise on paper charts I find myself divided on the points made. With the argument that paper charts need updating regularly or they're dangerous I agree somewhat. With the notion that few skippers update their charts I agree completely. But with the implication that e-charts and chart plotters offer more reliable information I disagree completely. Is there any reason to expect electronic chart data will be updated by users any more than paper charts? If the answer is no, then Active Captain's argument falls apart. Better, I think, to remember a basic tenant of competent navigation: Charts (whether paper or electronic) and the information they contain represent nothing more than "aids" to navigation. The prudent navigator will keep that in mind.
I agree with both sides...but like living with cel phone mentality...we all change a little....and usually in increments.

I'm pretty much all electronic now. I have 3 laptops on board - 1 dedicated to ship/nav...1 personal and a girlfriends as a backup. I also have a Navionics + capable chartplotter where you can update the charts every day if you feel the need to with a simple plug and play with the internet. I also have a dumb GPS that provides positioning. Chances of being chartless or not updated for very long or unable to navigate to a pretty self explanatory sea buoy with the GPS and coordinates provided somehow is such a longshot I'd rather gamble on the powerball.

Easier than paper charts??? You bet. I still love Raster Scan charts over anything else (old school eyes).

But like any piece of equipment...most don't have brains yet so who's in charge you or the machine?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote